BigYikesFFS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I haven't done very well in my A-levels and have been offered places in a foundation year course in Business Management, is it possible to transfer university after the foundation year?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BigYikesFFS)
I haven't done very well in my A-levels and have been offered places in a foundation year course in Business Management, is it possible to transfer university after the foundation year?
Hi BigYikesFFS :ciao:

This would depend on the university and how their Foundation Year is structured. For example, at Hope we offer degrees with a built in Foundation Year to support you before Level C.

However, some institutions offer a foundation degree which is separate from their full Undergraduate courses. In these cases you may be able to move university afterwards.

In this case it may just be worth contacting the university who have offered you this and just ask for a little more information on this as each university may be different.

I hope this helps

Ruth :rave:
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
In general, yes (but note, it wouldn't be a transfer - you would be re-applying through UCAS to begin a degree) . It doesn't matter if the foundation year is attached to a degree or not, but you do need to find out if your target unis accept foundation years for entry into their degrees.
BigYikesFFS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
In general, yes (but note, it wouldn't be a transfer - you would be re-applying through UCAS to begin a degree) . It doesn't matter if the foundation year is attached to a degree or not, but you do need to find out if your target unis accept foundation years for entry into their degrees.
I have a choice of a foundation year at not very good Uni for my degree York St John with no living costs as its close by or a better University of West England with living costs and it's further away. If the transfer was definite then I would go to York St John as it's cheaper, but I'm conflicted what to choose as I do not want to fully bet my future on a reapplication to a different university with a foundation course. Do A-levels matter much when you are applying with a foundation year? and how likely is an application with a foundation year going to be accepted?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
I have a choice of a foundation year at not very good Uni for my degree York St John with no living costs as its close by or a better University of West England with living costs and it's further away. If the transfer was definite then I would go to York St John as it's cheaper, but I'm conflicted what to choose as I do not want to fully bet my future on a reapplication to a different university with a foundation course. Do A-levels matter much when you are applying with a foundation year? and how likely is an application with a foundation year going to be accepted?
Again, it's not a transfer.

There are no definites. People who've done badly in their A levels can and do use foundation years to 'trade up' universities, but it is a risk - there's no getting away from that. You need to decide if it's one you want to take.

Your foundation year grades will likely be given more weight than your A level grades if you re-apply, but I don't know how much your A level grades will matter - it really depends on the uni, the course and the individual admissions tutor reading your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
18.02%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.94%
Not great so far... (216)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.34%

Watched Threads