miranda1234567
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i'm doing a levels in spanish, biology and chemistry and i did AS levels in bio and chem. i'm academic and was predicted to get As in my ASs, so this was what was expected. i managed to get an A in biology yesterday, but i got a C in chemistry???? this is a massive shock to me and i'm just wondering if the prospect of medicine is completely over for me? will universities still accept me with a C in AS chemistry to do medicine?
miranda1234567
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
bump
LinaHearts
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by miranda1234567)
i'm doing a levels in spanish, biology and chemistry and i did AS levels in bio and chem. i'm academic and was predicted to get As in my ASs, so this was what was expected. i managed to get an A in biology yesterday, but i got a C in chemistry???? this is a massive shock to me and i'm just wondering if the prospect of medicine is completely over for me? will universities still accept me with a C in AS chemistry to do medicine?
Hi, i'll admit i'm a little wobbly on AS levels as my college didn't do them. Do they impact your a-level grade or do they serve more as predictions now.
annanas45
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are doing the new spec the grades should not count because you will be redoing those topics in the final year exams. It will probaby affect your predicted grades though so unless you can convince your teachers to base them on a mock instead where you got a better grade you might have to take a gap year and apply with your actual grades (provided u actually do get an A)
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by miranda1234567)
As long as you are predicted minimum AAA then the only med schools that may care about your AS levels are QUB and Cambridge. Nowhere else will even consider them
username2775496
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly, AS exams are there for you to get used to the exam conditions. No unis will look at them and use them to invite you to interview and give you an offer. They are only really used for predictions which are the grades that matter. As you’ve taken the exam, you will have to declare your grades on UCAS but they won’t matter and you won’t be at any disadvantage at all.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by upbeat4)
Honestly, AS exams are there for you to get used to the exam conditions. No unis will look at them and use them to invite you to interview and give you an offer. They are only really used for predictions which are the grades that matter. As you’ve taken the exam, you will have to declare your grades on UCAS but they won’t matter and you won’t be at any disadvantage at all.
Cambridge look at them very closely if they are offered......
username2775496
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Cambridge look at them very closely if they are offered......
Oh ok, thanks for letting me know! I didn’t apply for Oxbridge so I have no idea what they’re looking for
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by upbeat4)
Oh ok, thanks for letting me know! I didn’t apply for Oxbridge so I have no idea what they’re looking for
It used to be the biggest part of Cambridge’s assessment process, but Linear A levels put a stop to that for most. It is now probably a disadvantage to have them for Cambridge as they will be looking for well over 90% UMS but if you don’t have them, they will just look at predictions and other stats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?