The Student Room Group

Repeating AS year

I just got my AS Level grades and my grades were: English Literature - B, Chemistry - E and Biology - E. I want to study medicine and I’ve chosen to repeat the AS year. I am aware that repeating the year can make it harder to get into a good university and for medicine. But if I provide a good reason to why would universities overlook this. My reason was that I had moved from London to another city last minute and me and my family didn’t have a place to live in so we lived at my aunts. During that time my parents had also divorced (living separately) so we financially we were struggling. Whilst living with my aunt, her husband (my uncle) tried to sexually harass me and my mum but then we got a social worker involved and were finally able to move in our own home. All of these reasons put extra pressure on me since as the oldest sibling I felt the need to look over my siblings as well as my mum since my mum also fell into depression due to our circumstances.

I would also like to add that tbh my family and I haven’t exactly been in a stable place for the past two years. During my last Year of GCSEs I had to live separate from my parents as they wanted to live abroad and since I was at my last stage of GCSEs and knew that moving last minute wasn’t a good idea, I ended up staying with another aunt in London. She was caring but I still found it hard being away from both parents and my siblings. During this time, my parents were having trouble in their relationship and I think I really began to worry for my younger siblings a lot. In the end I came out with really good GCSEs but I found it super hard.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Watermelon11
I just got my AS Level grades and my grades were: English Literature - B, Chemistry - E and Biology - E. I want to study medicine and I’ve chosen to repeat the AS year. I am aware that repeating the year can make it harder to get into a good university and for medicine. But if I provide a good reason to why would universities overlook this. My reason was that I had moved from London to another city last minute and me and my family didn’t have a place to live in so we lived at my aunts. During that time my parents had also divorced (living separately) so we financially we were struggling. Whilst living with my aunt, her husband (my uncle) tried to sexually harass me and my mum but then we got a social worker involved and were finally able to move in our own home. All of these reasons put extra pressure on me since as the oldest sibling I felt the need to look over my siblings as well as my mum since my mum also fell into depression due to our circumstances.

I am truly so sorry you had to go through this, but that's so amazing you tried your best. I'm also doing AS, I think universities will understand the issues you faced if you mention it to them. Have you spoken to your teachers?
Btww I got the same grades for English lit and bio! Yaya!
Original post by Alevelz2018_2020
I am truly so sorry you had to go through this, but that's so amazing you tried your best. I'm also doing AS, I think universities will understand the issues you faced if you mention it to them. Have you spoken to your teachers?
Btww I got the same grades for English lit and bio! Yaya!

After we moved, we are moving again so I have to start a new college. Depending on my AS grades, I could go onto year 13 in their school but I think it wouldn’t be possible since the only subject that doesn’t have the same exam board as my previous school is Eng Lit and that means I have a lot to catch up on. This Thursday I will go visit them and ask them about my circumstances. Thank you for your kind comment! I wish you good luck for your next years ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest