The Student Room Group

One Day OASC 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nadgebomb
what do you get asked in the now 12 minute interview format? Obviously previously it was you 5 domestic / overseas current affairs, your history / experience, your knowledge of phase 1 / 2 training, air power, NATO, RAF knowledge etc etc etc. Has most of that been cut or is it anything from all of that?Cheers

Have you read this thread? I find it polite to show how you've tried to help yourself before asking others for help.
Yes I have. I can see people discussing what they specifically were asked. But I just wanted to know how much of the old format has actually been removed, and how much is possible to still be covered. I can infer that the personal background and current affairs topics are out, but I wanted to know if anyone knew this for certain one way or another. Likewise for the other areas.

It is as follows:

Motivation to join (why Officer/SNCO)
The RAF (what ops, aircraft etc)
The role you are going for (how it fits into the air Force)
Training (both IOT and Phase 2)
Foundation posting and beyond.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Thats perfect. Thanks :yy:

No worries, sorry my grammar was so poor! Wrote it quickly :wink:
Reply 63
what do you get asked in the now 12 minute interview format? Obviously previously it was you 5 domestic / overseas current affairs, your history / experience, your knowledge of phase 1 / 2 training, air power, NATO, RAF knowledge etc etc etc. Has most of that been cut or is it anything from all of that?Cheers

Don’t scrimp on the preparation for the OASC interview. It may only be 12 minutes but it is intense and you won’t know exactly what question the interviewer will ask. You will still need to have a solid understanding of Ops, roles and Air Power, if you don’t the interviewer will see right through you. Your prep for filter will serve you well and remember that the filter now counts towards your selection decision.
Reply 64
Good advice thanks. I have been covering the full RAF side of things but will obviously be doubling down on everything leading up to OASC. I have been through the process before, but when it was the 3 day thing so I just wanted to understand what to expect now. I think I undercooked the interview prep last time so definitely agree on being thorough when preparing.

Good luck.
Passed my Nuffield Health fitness test today, woohoo!

Now looking to prepare in every way possible for OASC. If anyone has any ideas beyond doing every planning exercise out there, refreshing all the required knowledge and preparing answers for the key motivational questions please let me know - thanks!
Reply 66
Just another question I had on the new format - are there are briefings / introductions the night before? And as such - do you still need to turn up in a suit? As I understand it, interviews are now conducted in coveralls so the requirement for a full suit seems to be gone?

All briefings are carried out during the morning and you’ll be in your gym kit and coveralls by that point. You are allowed to go to breakfast in your gym kit too.
You don’t even need a suit for the candidates mess bar as trousers and a shirt is sufficient, according to the joining instructions! Most people were in suits in the bar, but I think that’s because the JIs had only just been updated. When I first got my invite it said suit, but I printed them again the day before my OASC and the wording had been changed!
Reply 67
Original post by RickyB731
We were given a map & a task description and then given either 20 or 30 mins (sorry, I can’t remember the exact time!) to read it and individually come up with a plan. Make sure you read it carefully, try to pick out the pertinent points, and make notes on the blank paper provided. After that we had to turn the task sheet over and we were given a question sheet. We had to answer 10 questions about the event, along the lines of what’s the aim, what’s available and what your plan would be. Answer these fairly swiftly as it feels like the time goes fast. The question sheets are collected up and then we were allowed to turn the task sheet back over.

We had another 20 mins (again, I’m afraid I can’t remember the exact time, but it was less than the individual timings) to discuss the options and come up with a group plan. Use the time fully and come up with contingencies if you can.
Once that time is up, the assessing officers will go around the syndicate and ask questions on the plan and test you with some “what ifs”. Key thing from the group is to make sure that everyone knows what the plan is and reasons behind the solution.

With regards to the exercise itself, it wasn’t that dissimilar from some in the link above but what I took from doing the OASC one compared to these is that there isn’t always a definitive solution like there is on the pdf. The linked exercises, and in fact any that you find online, are a good way to get you thinking about problems with a plethora of inputs and options but your are demonstrating the ability to come up with a plan of some, irrelevant of whether it’s the quickest or most efficient one a available to you.

Out of the whole day, I was probably more worried about the planning exercise than anything. I repeatedly felt like I was making mistakes when I was practising to the point I was overthinking it and really starting to stress myself out. My personal plan was nothing like what we came up with as a group, but I made sure that I got myself involved in the discussion and we all came to a better solution. 6 heads are better than 1 after all!

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi Ricky, thanks for sharing your experience of OASC with us. With the planning exercise did the 10 questions on the sheet involve speed, distance and time calculations?
Reply 68
Original post by bimlozy
Hi Ricky, thanks for sharing your experience of OASC with us. With the planning exercise did the 10 questions on the sheet involve speed, distance and time calculations?

Try not to get hung up on specifics. You will need to use SDT calculations throughout the Planning Exercise which may or may not include the question sheet.
Reply 69
Original post by SmutsReport
Is OASC usually on a specific day of the week? Waiting for my date now and could do with knowing for booking it off work / rearranging my shifts etc. For peace of mind as much as anything.

Out of curiosity, have you received a date for your OASC yet? I passed my fitness test on the 20th of September 2019 and am yet to receive my date. AFCO seems to suggest RAFC Cranwell is inundated with soo many applicants i have to wait.
Original post by bimlozy
Out of curiosity, have you received a date for your OASC yet? I passed my fitness test on the 20th of September 2019 and am yet to receive my date. AFCO seems to suggest RAFC Cranwell is inundated with soo many applicants i have to wait.

Hi

Which role have you applied for?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 71
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

I’m in the same position, I think it was 17th September I passed my fitness test and still awaiting a date. I’ve applied for intelligence.
Original post by bimlozy

I passed the one day OASC recently. There was one question on the sheet that was specifically a SDT calc and had almost nothing to do with the planning ex. The individual planning time was 25 minutes. Overall the planning exercise was easier than in almost all the examples available online with fewer and easier SDT calculations than I expected.
Original post by Naomih200
Did anything happen on the evening you arrived?

There is nothing formal or scheduled. But most of the candidates met in the bar of the candidates mess and it's a good opportunity to meet the people who may be in your syndicate and you will need to work with the next day.

On my OASC there were 2 syndicates with 5-6 individuals in each.
Reply 74
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Hello, I applied for the Engineer Officer (CE) role.

Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Naomih200
Thanks. What was your interview like?

Very much as described in other posts: RAF knowledge, air power, training, motivation to commission. It’s quick and intense.
Recently completed OASC. Pretty intense day. We had 2 syndicates of 5 and 6 members. I was only one for my trade. It’s a great experience and a challenge under the conditions and own stress you put on yourself. My advice is to enjoy it. Everyone gets an interview so make sure you know your motivation, current ops and IOT, phase 2 training and likely role/ future roles you could do. The most common Phrases you will hear from the boarding officers are the time for questions is over’ , I understand’ and ‘stepping on/off’, Trust me you will be sick of hearing them! All I can say is enjoy the experience. I’m now waiting the 3-4 weeks to find out my fate.
I have been waiting since July to be booked into OASC after passing my fitness test. I have applied for AS Enginner Officer, very long wait!
Original post by Hoodwinked01
I have been waiting since July to be booked into OASC after passing my fitness test. I have applied for AS Enginner Officer, very long wait!

It was a 10 week wait between PJFT and OASC for me.
Original post by Biscuit123456
I passed the one day OASC recently. There was one question on the sheet that was specifically a SDT calc and had almost nothing to do with the planning ex. The individual planning time was 25 minutes. Overall the planning exercise was easier than in almost all the examples available online with fewer and easier SDT calculations than I expected.

Hi, do you have any links for the examples online that you are talking about here please? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest