Max19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys,
Just got my A-levels and I'm in.
Those will study at the same course, feel free to join this post:
accommodation, what next, or any other questions we can discuss...
Best luck,
Max
lds55555
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do you mean Engineering and Architectural Design KH11, because if so i am also doing that
Max19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by lds55555)
Do you mean Engineering and Architectural Design KH11, because if so i am also doing that
Yes indeed!
benchan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I am considering applying for this course, I was wondering if they made you send in a portfolio before/during interview? Also, let me know how you guys are finding the course!
dryve
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by benchan)
Hi, I am considering applying for this course, I was wondering if they made you send in a portfolio before/during interview? Also, let me know how you guys are finding the course!
Hello I am a first year student studying this course.
For the application they use send in a portfolio digitallty sometime in January??? youre gonna have to search that up, but once you send in the portfolio by uploading it to the UCL portal they will get back to you and call you in for an interview.
In the interview they ask general questions about your portfolio,models or sketches etc and about your life.

We just started our 2nd week of lectures this week but so far i enjoy it because it has a good balance between physics and maths in structural and environmental based modules and history/theory of architecture as well as design.

If you have any more questions just reply under this.
DavidOloyede1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by dryve)
For the application they use send in a portfolio digitallty sometime in January??? youre gonna have to search that up, but once you send in the portfolio by uploading it to the UCL portal they will get back to you and call you in for an interview.
In the interview they ask general questions about your portfolio,models or sketches etc and about your life.

We just started our 2nd week of lectures this week but so far i enjoy it because it has a good balance between physics and maths in structural and environmental based modules and history/theory of architecture as well as design.

Hi, Im considering applying for this course. how much of it is engineering based compared to architecture?
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DavidOloyede1)
Hi, Im considering applying for this course. how much of it is engineering based compared to architecture?
From what ive seen so far, it seems about 65% to engineering, but it's because we haven't started our design modules yet so the only architecture related modules are the drawing masterclasses and history and theory lessons. From Term 2 of 1st year to the end of the degree program we will be doing architectural design projects so there will more design to come.

Would definently recommend this course to anyone who isn't sure wherther to do civill engineering or architecture or environmental engineering as this an integration of all 3. Once you graduate hopefully you will have the accreditation to go into any of fields(architecture require further education) you will be definifintly advantaged to other applicants due to your wholistoc view on buildings, the structural design and foundations, architectural design and its sustainability.

Hope to see you next year, Dryve.
DavidOloyede1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Okay, thank you so much for your help?😄 I have another question which is non specific to the course. How is student life at ucl? Since it is london and also not a campus uni, I'm rlly worried about my experience. As there is one building i go to, when will I get the chance to make friends not in my course.And one last thing 😅 if someone i were predicted A*AB instead of the required AAA, can i still get in? Or would i be better off applying to the Architecture course on Its own which requires AAB, however I assume it will have more people applying to it.
Overstreet
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dryve)

thanks for telling us this.i am also about to apply this one,but i wonder if there are any differences in portfolio compared with architecture degree.
Overstreet
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Max19)
Hi guys,
Best luck,
Max
(Original post by benchan)
is it possible for everyone to have a chance for an interview.do i have the same consideration though i hand in application a bit late like in Jan?thanks so much!
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DavidOloyede1)
Okay, thank you so much for your help?😄 I have another question which is non specific to the course. How is student life at ucl? Since it is london and also not a campus uni, I'm rlly worried about my experience. As there is one building i go to, when will I get the chance to make friends not in my course.And one last thing 😅 if someone i were predicted A*AB instead of the required AAA, can i still get in? Or would i be better off applying to the Architecture course on Its own which requires AAB, however I assume it will have more people applying to it.
Student life at UCL is really diverse, you can make it want you want it to be essentially, of your a party paerson you can party, if you like to chill or play games you can do that too etc. One think i like is the societies, I met lots of people from other societies and became friends with them. In terms of being in one building, it depends on what course you do. If you do Architecture by iits self then youll be restricited to only being in the Barlett pretty much, for quite a lot of hours as well. But students who do the MEng Engineering and Architectural design course are never in the same place in campus twice a week, we work in multiple places and also have another campus in East London, called Here East exclusive to a small amount of students( our course being the only undergraduate course), we even share the Maths module with other engineering disciplines for years 1 & 2,which is nice so i can revise maths with my other engineering friends. In terms of grades the best thing you can do try and convince your school increase the grade from B to A and explain the situation of trying to get into UCL. If it fdoesnt go your way you can always apply from another course like Architecture to the MEng if you really want to do it.
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Overstreet)
thanks for telling us this.i am also about to apply this one,but i wonder if there are any differences in portfolio compared with architecture degree.
Yeah there was last year. From what I know Architecture students were given a drawing task that they had to send in specifically, meanwhile the MEng just sent in different pieces of work from whatever time.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
Hi im applying for this course too. I didnt take alevel art and the portfolio I submitted are just some drawings and small handicrafts I made for fun in my leisure time. I heard that most of offer holders took alevel art, is it like that? im quite worried
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Overstreet)
is it possible for everyone to have a chance for an interview.do i have the same consideration though i hand in application a bit late like in Jan?thanks so much!
I think you will, as i uploaded my portfolio a week before and had an interview, but the earlier you submit, the earlier your interview is
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi im applying for this course too. I didnt take alevel art and the portfolio I submitted are just some drawings and small handicrafts I made for fun in my leisure time. I heard that most of offer holders took alevel art, is it like that? im quite worried
I would say just about more than half of applicants have done an a level in art, architecture or some sort of product design meanwhile about 40% have done more academic a levels like maths,chemistry, physics =, english etcetera. The thing we all have is common is our interest in Architecture and buildings so it wouldnt matter so much other than a slight headstart. But if one does a portfolio outside their work in Sixth form it communicates an external passion for the course which is seen as pro rather than a con.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
Hi I’m applying aswell, and wondering whether your portfolio should be completely architecture/enigneering based or whether it can be any type of work?
DavidOloyede1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dryve)
Student life at UCL is really diverse, you can make it want you want it to be essentially, of your a party paerson you can party, if you like to chill or play games you can do that too etc. One think i like is the societies, I met lots of people from other societies and became friends with them. In terms of being in one building, it depends on what course you do. If you do Architecture by iits self then youll be restricited to only being in the Barlett pretty much, for quite a lot of hours as well. But students who do the MEng Engineering and Architectural design course are never in the same place in campus twice a week, we work in multiple places and also have another campus in East London, called Here East exclusive to a small amount of students( our course being the only undergraduate course), we even share the Maths module with other engineering disciplines for years 1 & 2,which is nice so i can revise maths with my other engineering friends. In terms of grades the best thing you can do try and convince your school increase the grade from B to A and explain the situation of trying to get into UCL. If it fdoesnt go your way you can always apply from another course like Architecture to the MEng if you really want to do it.
Just saw this. Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I didn’t do A level art either, don’t worry as I think they recognise the fact that you are passionate for this course outside of your A levels.
dryve
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Max19)Hi guys,
Best luck,
Max

someone asked me how was the application process, Here is my response.

The process was quite long, firstly I applied through ucas with my personal statement and predicted grades. I think they liked my personal statement hence they sent me a portfolio brief whereby I digitally uploaded 10 pieces of work all of different things, some not related to Architecture or engineering. I made sure to display different skill such as model making(wasn’t amazing but I tried), drawing plans, elevations, illustrating ideas visually, and some CAD stuff. I also showed some graphic design of like logos and posters that I thought were good. They then must’ve like my portfolio and application as a whole hence they called me in for an Interview. The gap between the interview and portfolio submission was over 2 months so I thought I didn’t get in 😂. But then I had my interview in April where I brought some work and my physical interview which I talked through. You don’t necessarily show Architectural or Engineering standard work just different skills you can offer and show your passion for the course. Try talk about how you passionate for interdisciplinary design. Then about 2 weeks after they gave the offer whereby I firmed it.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Okay thanks - have you heard anything yet?

(Original post by dryve)
I didn’t do A level art either, don’t worry as I think they recognise the fact that you are passionate for this course outside of your A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (91)
62.33%
No (55)
37.67%

Watched Threads