University of Birmingham vs Loughborough university Watch

hussain200256
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Guys, so basically I can get into either, Loughborough is slightly cheaper (I’m an international Student so that’s important), my course at Birmingham is chemical engineering, while at Loughborough it’s Finance, i personally slightly prefer finance ? But I like chemistry too, but I heard finance has more opportunities and I just don’t know what to pick. Clubbing and fun are also important to me, so which is better in that sense ? (I have to make a decision in 3 days, so any advice would be appreciated ASAP)

I’d like to add that Birmingham is currently the firm choice on UCAS, while Loughborough would be the clearing choice, which id like to know if that poses any extra disadvantage
Last edited by hussain200256; 1 month ago
Arcaneballs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Loughborough is simply a small town full of students - literally everyone is a student in there. The community is amazing. The hall parties are bloody amazing and people have constant fun over there.
Edit: University is brilliant, from any perspective.

I'll wait for someone else to comment on Birmingham, as my opinion would be objective.
Last edited by Arcaneballs; 1 month ago
hussain200256
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
[
(Original post by Arcaneballs)
Loughborough is simply a small town full of students - literally everyone is a student in there. The community is amazing. The hall parties are bloody amazing and people have constant fun over there.

I'll wait for someone else to comment on Birmingham, as my opinion would be objective.
Alright, how about the ethnic mix there ? And the employer reputability ?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hussain200256)
Guys, so basically I can get into either, Loughborough is slightly cheaper (I’m an international Student so that’s important), my course at Birmingham is chemical engineering, while at Loughborough it’s Finance, i personally slightly prefer finance ? But I like chemistry too, but I heard finance has more opportunities and I just don’t know what to pick. Clubbing and fun are also important to me, so which is better in that sense ? (I have to make a decision in 3 days, so any advice would be appreciated ASAP)

I’d like to add that Birmingham is currently the firm choice on UCAS, while Loughborough would be the clearing choice, which id like to know if that poses any extra disadvantage
If Birmingham is your firm then you’ll be ok for accommodation. If you go through clearing you are a lot less likely to get your chosen type of accommodation and end up somewhere else or you may not get accommodation at all and have to go private.
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi I'm a fourth year chemical engineer at Uob currently on placement at a major food company.

Chemical engineering is a really marketable degree and I know several people who have moved into finance graduate schemes from chemical engineering.

As for the towns brum is a sick city to go out in, with multiple nights every night, plenty of variety, lots of dnb jungle garage reggae, you name it, it's there.

As for ethnic mix Birmingham is a very multicultural city with people from all over the world, most ethnicities have a club or society at the guild which is a great way to meet like minded people!

Hope that helps feel free to ask me any questions

Harry
hussain200256
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
Hi I'm a fourth year chemical engineer at Uob currently on placement at a major food company.

Chemical engineering is a really marketable degree and I know several people who have moved into finance graduate schemes from chemical engineering.

As for the towns brum is a sick city to go out in, with multiple nights every night, plenty of variety, lots of dnb jungle garage reggae, you name it, it's there.

As for ethnic mix Birmingham is a very multicultural city with people from all over the world, most ethnicities have a club or society at the guild which is a great way to meet like minded people!

Hope that helps feel free to ask me any questions

Harry
Were there any struggles in shifting from Chemical Engineering to finance ?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Were there any struggles in shifting from Chemical Engineering to finance ?
I'm personally not in finance, but I don't think there would be. Chem eng teaches a lot of analytical problem solving and team work skills that transfer well and are desirable in any industry.

Thanks
Harry
hussain200256
Rep:
?
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
I'm personally not in finance, but I don't think there would be. Chem eng teaches a lot of analytical problem solving and team work skills that transfer well and are desirable in any industry.

Thanks
Harry
And how did you feel about the student life ? Are people cooperative towards each other ? Thank you for your help
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And how did you feel about the student life ? Are people cooperative towards each other ? Thank you for your help
Yes! The social life as part of the course is amazing. BUCES the birmingham chem eng society has almost weekly socials with bar crawls and sober socials etc, we've also won the national chem eng sports day (Frank Morton) 5 years running.

There's a really great culture within the department of students in older years helping to guide and tutor the younger students which really helps the course feel more manageable!
hussain200256
Rep:
?
That sounds amazing. How about the accommodation ? Are the rules strict ? Is there a specific curfew ?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That sounds amazing. How about the accommodation ? Are the rules strict ? Is there a specific curfew ?
Hey
you can check out accomodation here:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a...ion/index.aspx

There aren't really any rules, my flat hosted pres a couple of times a week and we'd have flat parties etc.

No curfew either, although this is the same for all the unis in the UK as far as i know!

Thanks Harry
hussain200256
Rep:
?
That sounds awesome, do you have any negative experience from the university that you’d like to share ?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That sounds awesome, do you have any negative experience from the university that you’d like to share ?
I mean no university is perfect, sometimes the course is stressful and can feel overwhelming or the neighbours are playing music until 4am the day before your exam. The food on campus is a bit overpriced in my opinion too!
But in general I've had an amazing time at Birmingham and can fully recommend both the course and the university in general. I've made amazing friends and memories and am currently on a work placement that I really enjoy all because of the uni, and that's really the stuff that matters if you ask me.

I'm sure there are people who have had problems etc, but I personally have basically all good things to say about Birmingham.
hussain200256
Rep:
?
And how about the opportunities in the placement year ?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And how about the opportunities in the placement year ?
The vast majority of my friends who wanted placements got them and the uni supported me as much as they could with CV workshops, mock interviews etc, but at the end of the day it's on you to apply for placements etc. This'll be the same at all unis though!

Im on placement in the research and development department of a major food company and really enjoying it atm!

Thanks

Harry
hussain200256
Rep:
?
That’s perfect, but I wanted to know if I’m someone who leans more on the financial side of things, can I get my placement in a job that leans more towards that than engineering but is still linked to chemical engineering ?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s perfect, but I wanted to know if I’m someone who leans more on the financial side of things, can I get my placement in a job that leans more towards that than engineering but is still linked to chemical engineering ?
Yes I have friends doing placements in supply chain and logistics, data science, project management and finance, there are plenty of placements out there for what you're interested in.
hussain200256
Rep:
?
That’s brilliant, and are there any finance related modules in the course ? And how much physics is involved ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest