nicolegrace1207
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I am applying to do veterinary nursing, however, I only have 2 weeks work experience. One at a horse riding school and one at a veterinary practise. However all unis require 4 weeks work experience. So my question is, would work experience I do AFTER I’ve sent off my applications count? And also, I work as a dog boarder ( look after dogs whilst their owners are away on holiday) I’ve done this for 2 years, would this count as experience or not?

Thanks!
CC!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in a similar position (applying for 2020/2021 start)
There are a few uni's who only want 2 weeks experience from what I've seen online. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Eg Hartpury js only 2 weeks
I have two weeks arranged for September. But I'm starting another college course soon so sorting out work experience alongside this and before january is difficult! I've emailed a uni today asking about this. I'm pretty sure they have to be experience only in vets practice, so the horse riding school wouldn't count or the dog boarding. Some do ask for extra animal related experience though so it might still come in helpful.

I've booked open days for Hartpury uni, Nottingham Trent uni, Harper Adams uni, warwickshire college group and am considering Reaseheath college too. All are 2 weeks experience except harper and reaseheath.
nicolegrace1207
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CC!)
I'm in a similar position (applying for 2020/2021 start)
There are a few uni's who only want 2 weeks experience from what I've seen online. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Eg Hartpury js only 2 weeks
I have two weeks arranged for September. But I'm starting another college course soon so sorting out work experience alongside this and before january is difficult! I've emailed a uni today asking about this. I'm pretty sure they have to be experience only in vets practice, so the horse riding school wouldn't count or the dog boarding. Some do ask for extra animal related experience though so it might still come in helpful.

I've booked open days for Hartpury uni, Nottingham Trent uni, Harper Adams uni, warwickshire college group and am considering Reaseheath college too. All are 2 weeks experience except harper and reaseheath.
Hi thanks for replying. Do you know if they check up on how LONG the work experience was for? Like for example if I manage to get 3 days in a vet practise so in total I’ll have a week and a half of work experience, do you think I’ll get away with that? As I literally don’t have anytime to find another week, I’m at sixth form and only have the weekends free.
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nicolegrace1207)
Hi thanks for replying. Do you know if they check up on how LONG the work experience was for? Like for example if I manage to get 3 days in a vet practise so in total I’ll have a week and a half of work experience, do you think I’ll get away with that? As I literally don’t have anytime to find another week, I’m at sixth form and only have the weekends free.
You'll need to have the exact dates down on your references I'm afriad
weeemma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nicolegrace1207)
So I am applying to do veterinary nursing, however, I only have 2 weeks work experience. One at a horse riding school and one at a veterinary practise. However all unis require 4 weeks work experience. So my question is, would work experience I do AFTER I’ve sent off my applications count? And also, I work as a dog boarder ( look after dogs whilst their owners are away on holiday) I’ve done this for 2 years, would this count as experience or not?

Thanks!
The more expensive you have the better it is for your when you start your training as a veterinary nurse.
Keep a good record of any sort of training you do
And if you are asked to provide any references then make sure that you can provide them with the information ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads