The Student Room Group

Got BBB ,wanted to medicine, what can i do?

hey guys,
I wanted to do medicine ,unfortunately I couldn't achieve the grades I wanted which was atleast AAA. I don't really know what my other options are now, however ive looked into some medicine courses with foundation years. Im only eligible for like 3 unis due to my school, what do you guys think I should do. Im gonna take my UCAT, so can you guys give me some tips on how to prep for UCAT.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

There are numerous options available. Firstly you could try resitting if medical schools accept that. You could also look at other medical types of courses like Pharmacy, Pharmacology or biomedical sciences. Also there many other jobs in the medical field. I attach a link to Swansea universities health courses which you may find helpful. Finally if you included Maths in your subjects you could look into the likes of Engineering, Economics or Computer science and for Chemistry or Biological sciences you could look at course with those subjects.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/human-and-health-sciences/
I literally only used Medify and thought it was really good. I got 730 overall band 2. just to be aware though i though situational judgement and decision making was harder in the real thing but only slightly. pm me if you have any questions
Reply 3
You could look into doing medicine as a post-graduate of another course
Hi,

Please do not worry! There are plenty of opportunities for you to do nursing with these grades if that is of interest. Would you mind telling me why you couldn't achieve your desired grades? If you have a learning disability or were simply not prepared, that is another story, but if you studied really hard and still couldn't achieve the grades you needed for medicine, it may not be the area for you. Are you truly passionate about this field, or did you feel pressured by parents, peers, or society? Whatever happens, I promise it will work out. :smile:
Original post by helenburns
I literally only used Medify and thought it was really good. I got 730 overall band 2. just to be aware though i though situational judgement and decision making was harder in the real thing but only slightly. pm me if you have any questions

Oh ok cool, ill look into that. How does this banding system work tho, some ppl say 2230 band 2 , im confused, Could u explain it please?
Thanks ,ill pm u if i have any other questions
Original post by THEallstar2111
hey guys,
I wanted to do medicine ,unfortunately I couldn't achieve the grades I wanted which was atleast AAA. I don't really know what my other options are now, however ive looked into some medicine courses with foundation years. Im only eligible for like 3 unis due to my school, what do you guys think I should do. Im gonna take my UCAT, so can you guys give me some tips on how to prep for UCAT.

Thanks

Hey,
Sorry but what do you mean by you're only eligible for 3 unis?
Is it because they wont give you the necessary predicted grades or?
Reply 7
Original post by Batman3810
Hey,

Foundation courses require WA flags, I am guessing OP means the school he attended only qualified him for these flags at 3 med schools
Oh ok ,I understand your point. Not sure which route I wanna take urgh. Do you think I shud do my UKCAT and then decide?
Thanks for your information though. Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Batman3810
Hey,

For Foundation courses ,there are some extra criteria which you have to fall in ,in order to be eligible. Also ,they have certain grade entry requirements, which I meet , but I don't meet most of the widening participation requirements. Therefore i'm only eligible for around 3 unis or so.
Reply 11
So you've done your Alevels and were planning to apply during a gap year?
Sensible to do your UCAT, see how it goes, and then decide either to resit or spend your year developing in other ways to make you a better candidate for foundation.
It doesn't sound like GEM is a great path for you unless you are keener on other undergraduate courses than you sound!
(edited 4 years ago)

oh ok thanks for your help
Original post by 2500_2
So you've done your Alevels and were planning to apply during a gap year?
Sensible to do your UCAT, see how it goes, and then decide either to resit or spend your year developing in other ways to make you a better candidate for foundation.
It doesn't sound like GEM is a great path for you unless you are keener on other undergraduate courses than you sound!

yes , I did my a levels and I got BBB in maths,bio and chem. I have had 2 weeks of work experience in india , in different areas of medicine. I also have work experience in the UK and am planning to do lots more.
The thing that was going through my head is , I thought GEM and foundation courses were for like people like me, that's why I was considering it. Also what do you mean by making me a better candidate for foundation , could you explain this a bit more please?
No, im not keener or any other undergraduate courses, im just a bit stuck on what to do. But maybe doing the UKCAT and deciding would be a good idea as you said.
Reply 14
Original post by THEallstar2111
Also what do you mean by making me a better candidate for foundation , could you explain this a bit more please?

medicine foundation courses are still super competitive - if you only have 3 to apply to, you're going to want to be a very impressive all-round candidate
Reply 15
Some universities may allow internal transfers from neuroscience, pharmacology, biomedical science or possible other courses to medicine and Queen Mary being one of those Universities. "The 19 highest-ranked students from our Biomedical Sciences, Neuroscience, and Pharmacology and Innovative Therapeutics programmes are guaranteed an interview for the five-year A100 Medicine MBBS degree (Barts and The London). Students are selected at the end of the second year on the basis of an aggregate of academic ranking (50%) and UKCAT score (50%)." This is what it says on their Pharmacology and Innovative Therapeutics page.
Reply 16
The number of applicants to the number of places for widening participation medicine is a higher than the 5year course. So firstly be aware that competition for places is fierce.
On the plus side you have your grades, you know that you qualify for some already.
I have found that finding the courses for 6 year widening participants more difficult to find when my daughter and I were looking through them, as she qualified, missed some that she was eligible for .
Some time needed looking at each university course in detail.
If you have done your Ucat there are places in clearing. If you are looking at applying next year start working out if you want to retake any exams, apply for the widening participation course.
The worst that can happen is you get rejected. Don't sit back and regret not trying if it is what you want to do. If not certain, take a gap year and learn more about the person you want to become. Hope that helps
Original post by Micshe
The number of applicants to the number of places for widening participation medicine is a higher than the 5year course.

'Applicants' does not = 'eligible Applicants who meet all the criteria'.

Many people apply for Gateway and similar WP courses without reading the 'important information' that tells them the exact criteria they have to meet - low performing school, certain grade boundaries, local applicant etc etc - and therefore they get rejected immediately.

The ratio of 'eligible applicants' to interviews/offers for Gateway/WP courses is actually far lower than for 5 year courses.
Original post by returnmigrant
'Applicants' does not = 'eligible Applicants who meet all the criteria'.

Many people apply for Gateway and similar WP courses without reading the 'important information' that tells them the exact criteria they have to meet - low performing school, certain grade boundaries, local applicant etc etc - and therefore they get rejected immediately.

The ratio of 'eligible applicants' to interviews/offers for Gateway/WP courses is actually far lower than for 5 year courses.

so, which course in your opinion is more competitive do you think?
Many Medical Schools do not accept resits, however if you call the Medical School and explain that you did not achieve the grades that you needed they may be able to hold your place while you resist your A Levels. Otherwise you could look at other professions Within the medical sector such dietetics or speech and language therapy. If you still want to become a doctor then sometimes you can take other routes into medical school such as through a biomedical degree through a transfer.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending