Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
"Let obese people die to save the NHS" says Michael Buerk

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/06/weak-...oney-10525188/
Jackaleksandr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Might as well just let anyone who needs medical help die to save the NHS with that logic 🤷*♂️
bellapipstudier
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s just disgusting 😱, some people can’t help being obese. How horrid to them to JUDGE them 😳
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Vile and disgusting comment. The NHS exists for the benefit of the people, not the other way around
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think fat people dying is going to save the NHS...
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by prosperity4all)
"Let obese people die to save the NHS" says Michael Buerk

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/06/weak-...oney-10525188/
Foolish comment. We should work to support people around us, not allow them to die because they are obese.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Foolish comment. We should work to support people around us, not allow them to die because they are obese.
Arent they more allowing themselves to die? After all its not society forcing them to stuff themselves until they pop?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Arent they more allowing themselves to die? After all its not society forcing them to stuff themselves until they pop?
Yes, some people are but others have medical issues. Besides, the government need to do something about the state of the food industry where it is easier/cheaper to get unhealthy meals than to get decent wholesome food.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bellapipstudier)
That’s just disgusting 😱, some people can’t help being obese. How horrid to them to JUDGE them 😳
Yeah but a lot of people can. They just stuff their faces. The consequences of obesity are horrendous. Look at photos of our grandparents time. 1940s 1950s etc. Not one fat person
username4540078
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
where it is easier/cheaper to get unhealthy meals than to get decent wholesome food.
That's simply not true. It is relatively easy to eat nutritious wholesome food on a budget. People don't because they either lack the culinary skills, basic knowledge of nutrition, or are too idle.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, some people are but others have medical issues. Besides, the government need to do something about the state of the food industry where it is easier/cheaper to get unhealthy meals than to get decent wholesome food.
If you mean people with thyroid issues. They make up a very small percentage of fat people. So it makes sense to treat everyone like the majority, than the minority.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brexit will help to make obesity a thing of the past. Rationing will soon make people change their diets

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_vNoeVXUAA-8R8.jpg
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
If you mean people with thyroid issues. They make up a very small percentage of fat people. So it makes sense to treat everyone like the majority, than the minority.
Those with thyroid issues are part of one group. I think there is another group of people naturally predisposed to having slow metabolism. Those people cannot do anything about their weight gain.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
Brexit will help to make obesity a thing of the past. Rationing will soon make people change their diets

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_vNoeVXUAA-8R8.jpg
That wont happen.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
That's simply not true. It is relatively easy to eat nutritious wholesome food on a budget. People don't because they either lack the culinary skills, basic knowledge of nutrition, or are too idle.
There has been a whole healthy eating campaign on BBC and ITV where they continue to talk about the issues with having to eat healthily esp when one is poor.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Apparently he comes from a long line of Buerks.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Those with thyroid issues are part of one group. I think there is another group of people naturally predisposed to having slow metabolism. Those people cannot do anything about their weight gain.
Surely people's metabolic rates haven't changed, and yet people were a different shape in the past.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
Surely people's metabolic rates haven't changed, and yet people were a different shape in the past.
I don't think so. There seems to be this somewhat false idea that everyone was in shape in the past. I don't think this is true. There were fat people then. I think the issue is the number of fat people in relation to the whole population and the sizes that some of these people can reach.

Slow metabolic rates can be an issue for some people. For example, there are people with fast rates, who seem to never get fat, no matter the amount of chips, burgers, kebabs or milkshakes that the consume on a reg basis.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
It's not just about the cost of the food but the time to prepare it - people having to work multiple jobs to make ends meet (because "the minimum wage should pay enough for a person to survive on it while working full time" has become a radical position with how far right we've drifted) don't necessarily have time to prepare nutritious food

If we're saying to kill people who are expensive to treat to save the NHS, then it's already dead.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think so. There seems to be this somewhat false idea that everyone was in shape in the past. I don't think this is true. There were fat people then. I think the issue is the number of fat people in relation to the whole population and the sizes that some of these people can reach.

Slow metabolic rates can be an issue for some people. For example, there are people with fast rates, who seem to never get fat, no matter the amount of chips, burgers, kebabs or milkshakes that the consume on a reg basis.
I thought metabollic rates were genetic, so there would be no reason for metabollic rates to be different today than in the past since there hasn't been a genocide of people with high metabollic rates. And yet as you accept the proportion of fat people in the population has increased. That would seem to me to imply that the way people are eating must have changed, and what people put in their mouths is very much something that they can control.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (164)
24.59%
Pop (164)
24.59%
Jazz (26)
3.9%
Classical (40)
6%
Hip-Hop (121)
18.14%