The Student Room Group

Should I retake year 12?

My AS grades:
Psychology - B
Biology - D
Chemistry - U

What I want to do: Dentistry (I know, woah!)

I probably won't get any good offers as I won't have good predicted grades. Therefore, I was thinking I should take a gap year and reapply with my A-level grades. But, that's only if they're good enough.

If I retake year 12, some universities such as Queen Mary may not accept me as their requirements say the grades must be achieved in a two-year sitting.

Another problem is, I have a grade 5 in maths GCSE and most require a 6. Queen Mary is one of the universities I was hoping to apply for as it allows u to have a grade 6/B in maths or statistics and I have a grade A in statistics GCSE.

I'm very confused! Please help :frown:
Reply 1
I am in a similar position to you (i got a U in two subjects out of the four i do). I think you should talk to your teachers and ask if there's any way to make your predicted grades higher like maybe do a mock? Or even think about another course you would like to study. But tbh the best thing you could do is talk out all the options you have with your teachers and what they think is best for your future career. Also, would your college allow you to continue chemistry with a U?
Reply 2
Do you know what your predicted grades are? Id your teachers won’t change them id say just carry on and apply with your a level results the year after, I’m sure you’ll smash it
Reply 3
Original post by isadiya
I am in a similar position to you (i got a U in two subjects out of the four i do). I think you should talk to your teachers and ask if there's any way to make your predicted grades higher like maybe do a mock? Or even think about another course you would like to study. But tbh the best thing you could do is talk out all the options you have with your teachers and what they think is best for your future career. Also, would your college allow you to continue chemistry with a U?

I'm not sure yet, I'm supposed to have a meeting with them. In my mocks I got a grade A in Biology and a B in Chemistry. Sadly, my AS exams didn't go very well. I'm still set on Dentistry.

Quick Reply

Latest