LifeIsSoHard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So i got my results yesterday (ABD). I got a D in chemistry which meant i missed out on my medicine offer.

I was planning on going to my insurance choice and retaking chemistry and reapplying to medicine while in the first year. But i was wondering what are your thoughts?
adri2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LifeIsSoHard)
So i got my results yesterday (ABD). I got a D in chemistry which meant i missed out on my medicine offer.

I was planning on going to my insurance choice and retaking chemistry and reapplying to medicine while in the first year. But i was wondering what are your thoughts?
Sounds pretty challenging to me. Also do you really think you can get the D up to an A. Is your B ok, or did you need AAA? Maybe graduate entry/ a course which allows you the possibility to switch at the end of 1st year is a better option. If I was you I would definitely just take a gap year and resit my exams though. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.
LifeIsSoHard
Rep:
?
(Original post by adri2000)
Sounds pretty challenging to me. Also do you really think you can get the D up to an A. Is your B ok, or did you need AAA? Maybe graduate entry/ a course which allows you the possibility to switch at the end of 1st year is a better option. If I was you I would definitely just take a gap year and resit my exams though. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.
My offer was ABB (with the A being in either biology or chemistry), so biology should be fine, i just need to resit chemistry. Can i go from a D to an A - well i think i can, if i put in the hard work/effort and i am determined to not give up on medicine!

I'd much rather take the A-Level route than grad entry or transferring because it's not as competitive.
LifeIsSoHard
Rep:
?
Another thing - apparently unit don't really allow students in first year of another degree to apply for medicine.
Is that the case? But even then, if you were to apply anyways, how would they have any way of knowing?
katy79
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Am in a similar position- I got ABB so missed out on both my firm and insurance choices. I tried to find somewhere through clearing but the spaces went so quickly and many of the schools were only considering AAB/AAA or higher. I also am unsure whether to retake or go and do a different course. I really want to do medicine and don't want to give up, but am unsure on whether many schools even accept resits?? Not a nice position to be in, hope you're okay xx
LifeIsSoHard
Rep:
?
(Original post by katy79)
Am in a similar position- I got ABB so missed out on both my firm and insurance choices. I tried to find somewhere through clearing but the spaces went so quickly and many of the schools were only considering AAB/AAA or higher. I also am unsure whether to retake or go and do a different course. I really want to do medicine and don't want to give up, but am unsure on whether many schools even accept resits?? Not a nice position to be in, hope you're okay xx
I would say its better to retake - i think about 18 med schools allow retakes (most of them say that you should have got ABB first time round, which is what you have, so that's great!). And most importantly, i would say don't give up on medicine and keep trying!!

For me, i would simply retake chemistry to get an A grade (since my offer was ABB with the A having to be in biology/chemistry), so that way I would then have A*AB. But I'm in a little bit of a weird situation... I had to retake yr12 so when i applied this application cycle, i was technically already seen as a resit student (even though I hadn't done my A-Level/A2 exams). So if i resit chemistry and apply again, i would be seen as resitting twice. And i think most med schools only allow one resit.

So i'm thinking of going into first year of my insurance choice (pharmacy) and alongside it retaking chemistry and reapplying to medicine - so this way, even if i don't get into medicine, i wouldn't have wasted a year and could carry on with pharmacy and then go through the grad med option. But at the moment, I'm just wondering whether the universities would even know that you're in the first year of another degree.
Last edited by LifeIsSoHard; 1 year ago
katy79
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say its better to retake - i think about 18 med schools allow retakes (most of them say that you should have got ABB first time round, which is what you have, so that's great!). And most importantly, i would say don't give up on medicine and keep trying!!

For me, i would simply retake chemistry to get an A grade (since my offer was ABB with the A having to be in biology/chemistry), so that way I would then have A*AB. But I'm in a little bit of a weird situation... I had to retake yr12 so when i applied this application cycle, i was technically already seen as a resit student (even though I hadn't done my A-Level/A2 exams). So if i resit chemistry and apply again, i would be seen as resitting twice. And i think most med schools only allow one resit.

So i'm thinking of going into first year of my insurance choice (pharmacy) and alongside it retaking chemistry and reapplying to medicine - so this way, even if i don't get into medicine, i wouldn't have wasted a year and could carry on with pharmacy and then go through the grad med option. But at the moment, I'm just wondering whether the universities would even know that you're in the first year of another degree.
Okay thank you, I thought most medical schools didn't like resits. I would say if you think you will enjoy pharmacy then go and do that, give it a go. I don't actually know if you're able to apply to medical schools if you're currently already at Uni, and it might be a massive workload to retake chemistry alongside all of that, but I don't know for certain what the rules are.

What are you planning to do for resits? I was unsure whether to go back to college or do it independently, does anyone else have experience of retakes? It's so demotivating to think that all my hard work for UKCAT, interviews etc this year was for nothing, and I wouldn't want to do that all again if it was unlikely I'd be considered by medical schools. Are you treated any differently by medical schools when reapplying if you are an applicant who was rejected from all their choices and didn't get any offers, or an applicant like us who had offers and didn't get in?
adri2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Another thing - apparently unit don't really allow students in first year of another degree to apply for medicine.
Is that the case? But even then, if you were to apply anyways, how would they have any way of knowing?
Ahh ok, yep you could probably make the grades then. Some universities (leicester I think is one) lets students on biomed come into medicine for year 2 (I may be mistaken so please check, and also it's only a small number of those who got a really got mark). I think the problem may more be that you might not even be able to apply, as UCAS will know you are already enrolled somewhere... and I don't know if you can make new applications while still at uni. You could ask UCAS though.
adri2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
I think OP is talking about applying to medicine whilst currently studying a degree, not transfering from a related subject to medicine.
Oh yeah I know. But i'm also saying that if they started a relevant degree at certain unis, there's the possibility of transferring onto their med course. I know a fair few first years at leicester have been able to join medicine this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (6)
15.38%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (11)
28.21%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
7.69%
No, I haven't received any communication (19)
48.72%

Watched Threads