i dont know what course to do for university

Watch this thread
sallycheh12345
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi,

Iam going into yr13 taking English literature , psychology and history.

we are soon going to be applying for university and I have no idea what I want to do.

I love all my subjects but not passionate. I love psychology its the subject I get the highest grade in but im worried about the careers can do as it is a very competitive subject.

im into creative writing, I love law and studying criminology.

any courses that you think would suit me and what careers are open to me?
S_ophiiie
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
From your subjects law would sound like a good potential option, have you done any reading into the subject to determine whether it’s something you might like to study or not? Do bear in mind though that a law degree is not necessarily a prerequisite to a career in law - you can convert from another degree subject after graduating if you wish. Alternatively psychology would be a good choice (there are several universities that offer a joint honours with criminology or have a range of modules related to forensic psychology), as you aren’t limited to a career in psychology, any career that simply requires a degree would be open to you, or psychology is a very broad field with many different aspects that might interest you in terms of a career path. I hope I’ve given you some insight, if you have any questions just ask!
University of East London
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey,

My advice would be to go for a subject you are passionate about. Not only do you have to spend 3+ years focusing on the subject, but also if you are passionate about something it will come across well in interviews, making you more employable! Of course thinking about job prospects after university is a good idea, but there is no point pursuing a subject that won't make you feel fulfilled!

A good tip is to go to university Open Days and see which subject talk makes you feel the most excited and inspired. I can still remember the feeling I got during the course talk that made my decision easy.

Best of luck choosing!

- Meg
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sallycheh12345)
hi,

Iam going into yr13 taking English literature , psychology and history.

we are soon going to be applying for university and I have no idea what I want to do.

I love all my subjects but not passionate. I love psychology its the subject I get the highest grade in but im worried about the careers can do as it is a very competitive subject.

im into creative writing, I love law and studying criminology.

any courses that you think would suit me and what careers are open to me?
Hello

I have also heard that Psychology is quite a competitive subject - a lot of students take Psychology. However, there is a vast range of graduate jobs for Psychology degree holders. This is a good read about what graduates can do with their Psychology degree. Someone I know recently graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology and found a graduate job in Real Estate in London.

With your interest in Creative Writing you may want to consider a degree in Creative Writing, English Language, English Literature or Journalism. Alternatively your love in Law and Criminology may draw you towards degrees in Law, Criminal Justice, Criminology, or Policing.

You are in a good position as your A Levels would allow you to access any of the above courses. My advice would be go to a few open days at varying Universities and look at a range of the above courses. See which courses take your interest and which you aren't so keen on. What's most important is that you find a course subject that your are passionate about. If after taking a look around you are unable to find a subject you are passionate in, consider other options, such as taking a year out to decide or alternatives to University courses. You should only go to University if you find something you are really motivated in, not just because it feels like the right thing to do after school or because parents/friends/teachers are pressuring you to go.

If you are interested in taking a look at courses here at Hertfordshire, you can find out more about our open days here. We offer degrees in all the subjects mentioned above.

Best of luck in Year 13!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads