The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science transfer to Medicine - which Universities?

Which universities allow a transfer from biomedical science to medicine? Preferably a transfer after the first year of bio med or second year.
There are a lot that allow it. Just Google them to get their details. I know UCLan allows it, not sure if it's only for those who graduated from UCLan though. Warwick and Swansea have a graduate entry course only (i.e. only for those with biomed degree etc)
Reply 2
Original post by LifeIsSoHard
Which universities allow a transfer from biomedical science to medicine? Preferably a transfer after the first year of bio med or second year.

There are three that say they allow it after the first year - Edinburgh, Plymouth and Anglia Ruskin. ARU looks the most structured (you go back through UCAS and need UCAT), which suggests it actually happens, Edinburgh I suspect never does.

There are more that offer GEM, and several that tailor some undergraduate courses towards GEM and even supported GEM. GEM is more competitive than undergraduate entry but a more realistic option than y1 transfer. For either, you need to ace the biomed course.
Hi there,
As mentioned above UCLan does offer this route not from Biomedical Sciences but from our Medical Sciences (Foundation Entry), however, it is important to note that whilst there is the opportunity to apply for Medicine MBBS at UCLan after one year on the BSc Medical Science (Foundation Entry), this is not a guaranteed progression route and there is no guarantee of an interview for the MBBS. Application to MBBS is a very competitive process.

You can find out more about our Medical Sciences course here: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-medical-sciences-foundation-entry.php

Hope this helps :smile:
Ryan
Reply 4
St.George's also I think has a transfer scheme.

At ARU, 16 applicants had applied, 4 were offered a place but only one applicant got through I heard this year.
Reply 5
It is very competitive. Although I was originally planning to do this and then became a scientist instead. Thats always a very rewarding route.
Reply 6
University of Newcastle
University of Leicester
University of Bradford and Leeds medical school
University of Manchester
University of Birmingham
Cardiff University
University of Exeter
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Edinburgh
University of Plymouth
Anglia Ruskin University

Other ways according to the medic portal
University of Sussex
St. George's, University of London
University of Sheffield
Aston University

According to Medic Portal
Reply 7
Original post by Pkachu
University of Newcastle
University of Leicester
University of Bradford and Leeds medical school
University of Manchester
University of Birmingham
Cardiff University
University of Exeter
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Edinburgh
University of Plymouth
Anglia Ruskin University

Other ways according to the medic portal
University of Sussex
St. George's, University of London
University of Sheffield
Aston University

According to Medic Portal

That first list is GEM entry and the second list is supported post-degree entry? Not the same as the OP's Q.
Reply 8
Original post by 2500_2
That first list is GEM entry and the second list is supported post-degree entry? Not the same as the OP's Q.

I think it states internal transfers after one year of study?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Pkachu
I think it states internal transfers after one year of study?

beg your pardon, you are absolutely right - although read it carefully as some (like Birmingham) in that list aren't actually first year
Reply 10
Original post by 2500_2
beg your pardon, you are absolutely right - although read it carefully as some (like Birmingham) in that list aren't actually first year

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending