What happen when 3 students live in a non-HMO flat? Watch

StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by prs.ng)
Thank you for the notice. We already discussed about this with our LL, and he said that we need to do some paperwork to show that we are full-time student so there would be no council tax for us.
That's basically right

For me, when i was studying and living in my home city, the student info was automatically passed from my uni to the council and the exemption granted, when i was studying in a different city i had to do the legwork/forms myself.

It might not be a good idea to tell the council there are 3 of you, for obv reasons, ask the LL as it sounds like they're being quite open and helpful.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by prs.ng)
Yeah, my friends are thinking of renting the place, though the visa and criminal records are still our main concerns.
Speak to UKcisa about visa implications. Ive given you enough info to check it out and then its up to you. I dont believe the downsides are what you think they are. Ultimately your choice.
prs.ng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Could be stolen council property... And your de facto helping the landlord evade proper procedures..(tax evasion!).... What could potentially happen, is if your visa gets flagged for whatever reason at random and then your address is looked into... Could cause issues.

I wouldn't risk it. Breaking law's as an immigrant is never good.

As a landlord myself i would be highly suspicious of anyone trying to screw the government. If that is he/her attitude towards them what would be their attitude if your heating etc went out.
Yeah, what you said is my concern at the moment since this could affect my visa status. Thank you for the reply
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Under the Housing Act 2004, there is only an offence of running an unlicensed HMO. There is nothing to say that the occupier is liable of an offence. Which makes sense as the occupier is seen as the "victim" of the unlicensed HMO.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Under the Housing Act 2004, there is only an offence of running an unlicensed HMO. There is nothing to say that the occupier is liable of an offence. Which makes sense as the occupier is seen as the "victim" of the unlicensed HMO.
It would be like trying to blame tenants for windows not being to full British Standards, not their problem.
prs.ng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Yeah I have been looking for a legal document that might have the information about the tenants if living in an unlicensed HMO. I know the Ll might get into troubles, but I would also want to know what might happen to the tenants too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads