Medicine - need 3 A levels taken in one year

Watch this thread
Aspiringdoctor7
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
All the universities I want to apply to only accept 3 A levels taken in one year. However, I took my Maths A level exam this year, and achieved an A* before I heard about this. I did this because I wanted to take further maths this year, but I definitely don't want to do this anymore. What do I do now? Can I just retake maths at the end of the year? How would I possibly do another A level in this time?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aspiringdoctor7)
All the universities I want to apply to only accept 3 A levels taken in one year. However, I took my Maths A level exam this year, and achieved an A* before I heard about this. I did this because I wanted to take further maths this year, but I definitely don't want to do this anymore. What do I do now? Can I just retake maths at the end of the year? How would I possibly do another A level in this time?
Most unis wouldn't accept you retaking maths to fulfill this requirement, and as a general rule, most med schools are not keen on students retaking.

Are you 100% sure further maths is no longer an option?

Beyond this, maybe something like psychology might be possible to cram into one year?

I'd suggest you try posting for advice in the Medicine forum too for advice- I'm sure you're not the only person to end up in this situation.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Most unis wouldn't accept you retaking maths to fulfill this requirement, and as a general rule, most med schools are not keen on students retaking.

Are you 100% sure further maths is no longer an option?

Beyond this, maybe something like psychology might be possible to cram into one year?

I'd suggest you try posting for advice in the Medicine forum too for advice- I'm sure you're not the only person to end up in this situation.
Actually, most med schools are now happy to accept retake students. There are 18 med schools who will consider them - some will have additional criteria (e.g. one stated you have to achieve BBB in the first go; another has higher requirements for retake students etc) but you will just apply as normal.

The list is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...28&postcount=3
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Did you take Maths in 1 year? So now you're about to start year 13? Lots of unis actually require 3 A levels taken over 2 years, so you would still meet those requirements - it might be worth contacting the universities you're interested in and double checking whether they want 3 A levels over 2 years or 3 A levels in a single sitting. Otherwise you will have to chose between taking further Maths anyway or applying to different unis.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jzdzm)
Did you take Maths in 1 year? So now you're about to start year 13? Lots of unis actually require 3 A levels taken over 2 years, so you would still meet those requirements - it might be worth contacting the universities you're interested in and double checking whether they want 3 A levels over 2 years or 3 A levels in a single sitting. Otherwise you will have to chose between taking further Maths anyway or applying to different unis.
Ermm I literally just linked OP to the list of med schools willing to accept retake A-Level students in the post above yours. If they accept A-Level resits, they would also accept A-Levels taken over > 2 years.

There are 18 med schools accepting retake A-Levels btw.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Ermm I literally just linked OP to the list of med schools willing to accept retake A-Level students in the post above yours. If they accept A-Level resits, they would also accept A-Levels taken over > 2 years.

There are 18 med schools accepting retake A-Levels btw.
I was trying (obviously not very clearly!) to say that at some universities they may be eligible without being considered a resit student if they have 3 A levels taken in less than 2 years (I.e. in years 12 and 13) so this is worth OP checking before limiting themselves to those unis that accept resits.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jzdzm)
I was trying (obviously not very clearly!) to say that at some universities they may be eligible without being considered a resit student if they have 3 A levels taken in less than 2 years (I.e. in years 12 and 13) so this is worth OP checking before limiting themselves to those unis that accept resits.
:yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (273)
42%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.38%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.23%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.38%

Watched Threads