ZoZo1770
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone I'm due to begin a master's degree at the University of Oxford and was wondering whether anyone there could tell me about the intensity at postgraduate level - is it as crazy as undergraduate appears to be? I know that Oxford will obviously be a lot of work but I understand that they also allow postgraduates to work maximum 8 hours per week during term time - does anyone have experience working during their Oxford master's and if so, how did you find it? Thanks in advance
Kiki09
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did my master's part time (while working full time!) so direct experience. But you regularly see postgrad students working the evening shifts in college libraries, working behind the college bar, doing guided tours over the summer (in some colleges) etc so there are definitely options - and the college based jobs tend to fall outside of term time 9-5. I did weekend/summer holiday work teaching a sport during my dphil - no idea how many hours a week, didn't even talk to my supervisor about it... Some people do GCSE/A level tutoring - though that is quite a saturated market in Oxford unless you happen to be a native speaker in a desirable language or something else a bit niche.
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ZoZo1770)
Hi everyone I'm due to begin a master's degree at the University of Oxford and was wondering whether anyone there could tell me about the intensity at postgraduate level - is it as crazy as undergraduate appears to be? I know that Oxford will obviously be a lot of work but I understand that they also allow postgraduates to work maximum 8 hours per week during term time - does anyone have experience working during their Oxford master's and if so, how did you find it? Thanks in advance
Depends a bit on the course. If it's one of the nine-month master's courses, well, those are very intense. I've known one or two people do small-scale part-time work on them but in my view this affected their academic work. Your best bet would be jobs like invigilating in a college library in the evening, where you can get on with your own stuff during the quiet spells. A twelve-month programme will be slightly gentler, though probably not easy to combine with part-time work. It's much easier to integrate paid work into a DPhil, but you're not doing one of those so that side of the postgraduate experience isn't relevant.
FriedFish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Consider getting a job during the summer should be better I think. I heard the workload is pretty intense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?