The Student Room Group

Should I do film study for A-levels?

So I just moved with my family from Ireland to England and I’m trying to understand the whole A-level stuff. So I looked at all the subject choices I have and I think I’m gonna pick fine art, English lit, biology and film study. I have heard mixed opinions about film study and wanted to know if it’s worth doing. I’m also not sure if the subjects I picked are strong enough. ( I am planning on doing studying art in university and acting/films have became somewhat of an interest to me) please help cause I don’t know what to do :frown:
I really enjoyed film studies as an A-Level! You learn a lot about the contexts behind films- as in, what was going on politically/ socially the year it was made, what influenced the director/ style of the film, so it’s really enjoyable if you have an interest in history/ sociology/ politics. It also helps if you are competent in English, as you will be writing long essay-style answers in assessments/exams. However, the subject isn’t all heavily academic- there is a lot of room for creativity, especially with coursework (I got to write a screenplay and make a storyboard for a short story, other years at my college got to actually make a short film). You also mention having an interest in art- in Film, you get to study the aesthetics of films and assess how the film’s visuals has an affect on the audience/ what kind of message it conveys. I might be biased as I had a really good experience with the subject, but I think it will go really well with your other options and might be a ‘fun’ subject, especially if you are interested in films/ have it as a hobby. I hope this made sense and was helpful for you!
Reply 2
im through second year of A level film and honestly its a good class usually for most of the people i know who study it at different schools it is a small class so theres more one on one time with the teachers. you watch movies write about shots etc then get to make and edit a movie which is what im doing now! if you like shaun of the dead,pans labryinth, one flew over the cuckoos nest, sightseers, vertigo and nightifshing then go for it! only downfall to this lesson is that theres a lot of written coursework so....
I'm in my second year of A-Level film and the course itself is really interesting. I definitely agree that an interest in history/sociology/politics would make the course enjoyable. There is a lot of writing involved, coursework and exams, and I think you do need to be genuinely interested to enjoy it. I've often found it to be quite similar to English in the way lessons are structured and how you write about the films, but that may just be down to my specific teachers and the way my college do the course. It is completely up to you, but I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply