The Student Room Group

gap year? or clearing? !!!

hi i hit the lowet point this summer, and i cant think clearly or cant shake myself to care about my future
im TOTALLY split between 3 choices and it's killing me. i dont want to regret anything

clearing:
-i did bio chem and psy
-i dont wanna do a course with barely any job prospects...like chemistry..(no offence).
- i dont want the leftover courses bc the top unis are not on clearing, and i'd feel demotivated in all 3 years if i feel like what im doing will lead me to no valuable jobs
+ a part of me really wants to study biology, (i love it so much but job..prospects)
+i feel like optometry fits me because of my academics (not good enuough for medicine)

gap year:
+i wanna do physics a level and do engineering(valuable science degree and valuable vocational(?) job), BUT i dont think i'm smart enough and find physics confusing and weird (i sound ignorant i know. i just enjoy anything science related and it's an option!)
+more time to think about careers
-REALLY worried about wasting time, being one year behind and feeling inadequate/too old throughout all 3/5 years of uni.
-i'll be tutoring in school in gap year but i feel like the only reason i'm doing this is because i'm rly afraid of letting go of my school experience (it'll be in school) i think i got too attached to year 13 and im not ready to part with it yet at all. BUT Im afraid my attachment will fade in the first couple months and i'll feel like im wasting my time all throughout my gap year.
-i have a really bad feeling im gonna feel like my tutoring job will be bad and i'll feel like i have too much time in my hands (a whole year without education? for the first time?)

the change from school to uni is too much, it makes me sentimental and sad, like ive lost something, my childhood, or like...im moving houses for the first time in 18 years, thats why im tutoring in school..

i rly wanna do a science related degree, i enjoy anything science related...and prestige is really important to me. (the only way people value me is if my academics are good but i dont blame them or anything)

ABB alevel
779AAABBBC
(779=english,maths,english)
AAA=geog,socio,rs
BBB=bio,chem,phys(gonna resit in gap year)
C=social studies
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hannahkji
hi i hit the lowet point this summer, and i cant think clearly or cant shake myself to care about my future
im TOTALLY split between 3 choices and it's killing me. i dont want to regret anything

clearing:
-i did bio chem and psy
-i dont wanna do a course with barely any job prospects...like chemistry..(no offence).
- i dont want the leftover courses bc the top unis are not on clearing, and i'd feel demotivated in all 3 years if i feel like what im doing will lead me to no valuable jobs
+ a part of me really wants to study biology, (i love it so much but job..prospects)
+i feel like optometry fits me because of my academics (not good enuough for medicine)

gap year:
+i wanna do physics a level and do engineering(valuable science degree and valuable vocational(?) job), BUT i dont think i'm smart enough and find physics confusing and weird (i sound ignorant i know. i just enjoy anything science related and it's an option!)
+more time to think about careers
-REALLY worried about wasting time, being one year behind and feeling inadequate/too old throughout all 3/5 years of uni.
-i'll be tutoring in school in gap year but i feel like the only reason i'm doing this is because i'm rly afraid of letting go of my school experience (it'll be in school) i think i got too attached to year 13 and im not ready to part with it yet at all. BUT Im afraid my attachment will fade in the first couple months and i'll feel like im wasting my time all throughout my gap year.
-i have a really bad feeling im gonna feel like my tutoring job will be bad and i'll feel like i have too much time in my hands (a whole year without education? for the first time?)

the change from school to uni is too much, it makes me sentimental and sad, like ive lost something, my childhood, or like...im moving houses for the first time in 18 years, thats why im tutoring in school..

i rly wanna do a science related degree, i enjoy anything science related...and prestige is really important to me. (the only way people value me is if my academics are good but i dont blame them or anything)

ABB alevel
779AAABBBC
(779=english,maths,english)
AAA=geog,socio,rs
BBB=bio,chem,phys(gonna resit in gap year)
C=social studies

Hi! I’m in a similar situation, I got A*BC in art, maths and chemistry and 2 marks off an A in maths. It crushed me on results day to see my results as I knew I didn’t get into my top choice to do architecture. I think it’s best to take your time to make your decision as it’s 3/5 years + so much money. If prestige is really important and you don’t want to consider degrees that don’t have clear cut career prospects I’d consider resitting and physics sounds like a great idea!! Plus save a bit of money and travel in summer:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending