The Student Room Group

Can I get to A standard in 3 months approx?

Hey all

I'm doing IAL Edexcel international a-levels as a private candidate which still allow you to sit the exams in the old-style british modular exam system. You can do them in october, january and june. I've got three exams booked in october that I've booked pretty last minute as I've just recently found out about this; is 3 months enough time to get to A standard in all three exams do you think?

Thanks in adv!
It's pretty difficult to answer your question without more information :tongue:

How long have you been studying A-level maths, what grade are you working at? Or are you just starting out? How did you find GCSE etc.
Would one or two hours a day plus one hour of private tuition per subject be sufficient?
Original post by EierVonSatan
It's pretty difficult to answer your question without more information :tongue:

How long have you been studying A-level maths, what grade are you working at? Or are you just starting out? How did you find GCSE etc.

Hi sorry

I've never studied a-level maths before, I've booked the statistics module as I've read that's the easiest one to start with. GCSE Maths I got a B in but I've been out of studying for some time.
Original post by RandomNortherner
Hi sorry

I've never studied a-level maths before, I've booked the statistics module as I've read that's the easiest one to start with. GCSE Maths I got a B in but I've been out of studying for some time.

Based solely on what you've said, I think getting an A, even if its only one module, is very optimistic given that you don't appear to have a significant talent in maths and you've been out of the habit of studying. January would seem like a more realistic goal, but still quite challenging.

Remember that most students work for two years and don't get A grades.

edit: I swear there used to be a spell check on TSR, I'm endlessly editing my posts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Based soley on what you've said, I think getting an A, even if its only one module, is very optimistic given that you don't appear to have a significant talent in maths and you've been out of the habit of studying. Janurary would seem like a more realistic goal, but still quite challenging.

Remember that most students work for two years and don't get A grades.

Alright, okay, should I just do two exams in october, (I've had more recent studying in bio and chem) then take one maths module in january and the other two in june? Which optional unit is the easiest? Mechanic, statistics or decision? My main concern will be balancing the AS exams around my university work
Alright, okay, should I just do two exams in october, (I've had more recent studying in bio and chem) then take one maths module in january and the other two in june? Which optional unit is the easiest? Mechanic, statistics or decision? My main concern will be balancing the AS exams around my university work

Wh..Wh..Why are you taking A-levels if you're at university? :tongue: Is it a requiremnet for a job you're thinking of?

I hated stats, but it was straight forward. I only did one decision module and it took a bit of getting used to.
Wh..Wh..Why are you taking A-levels if you're at university? :tongue: Is it a requiremnet for a job you're thinking of?

I hated stats, but it was straight forward. I only did one decision module and it took a bit of getting used to.

I did the old style modular exams in 2010 but they've expired and I want to be more competitive in my application to graduate entry medicine. Also if I decide to change my mind and apply for NHS scientist positions they also ask for good a-level grades as it's quite competitive.

I did the old style modular exams in 2010 but they've expired and I want to be more competitive in my application to graduate entry medicine. Also if I decide to change my mind and apply for NHS scientist positions they also ask for good a-level grades as it's quite competitive.

Some places are wise to students re-taking A-levels later on so it might not benefit you. I'd make totally sure that this is the right choice - i.e. email the departments that you might be interested in and make sure they would view your recent A-levels in the same light as your first round.

University work is difficult enough without having A-level exams on top.
Some places are wise to students re-taking A-levels later on so it might not benefit you. I'd make totally sure that this is the right choice - i.e. email the departments that you might be interested in and make sure they would view your recent A-levels in the same light as your first round.

University work is difficult enough without having A-level exams on top.

I have done :smile: thank you for your all your advice :smile:

I'll get some private tutors and hopefully it'll all work out
Anyone else?
It is going to be difficult for you, even split up into modules, I’d advise using the time between now and January to get up to speed on your maths and get the academic exams of the bio and chem out the way before you go back to university; then you can do the practical papers and the two maths ones next June which gives you more time
Definitely get private tutors, you might need more than one hour a week for maths though
Original post by AngryRedhead
It is going to be difficult for you, even split up into modules, I’d advise using the time between now and January to get up to speed on your maths and get the academic exams of the bio and chem out the way before you go back to university; then you can do the practical papers and the two maths ones next June which gives you more time

Thanks! :smile:
Bumping as I could do with more advice

Quick Reply

Latest