Driving instructor said I could drive home on first lesson?! Watch

Icykitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I had my first driving lesson today where I started out in some quiet residential roads where I happened to know the area well so I knew where I was in relation to the mains roads, etc. At the end of the lesson however, my driving instructor told me to turn onto an a road and said I could drive home from where we were (It's about a 10-15 minute drive home). Is this normal for a first lesson?? I didn't struggle or feel uncomfortable because the roads back are pretty much a straight line but I was just wondering your thoughts on this?
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, I drove for about an hour on the roads during my first lesson! It’s the best way to learn I think
Icykitten
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
Yeah, I drove for about an hour on the roads during my first lesson! It’s the best way to learn I think
Ah ok, just wanted to check this was normal, it seemed kind of daunting at first for a first lesson. Thanks
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on how you're doing and how the road is. My instructor never drove me anywhere, I drove to and from my home from lesson 1. But I live on an easy estate to start out on and there's several tricky roundabouts and junctions in my village so we did those until I could handle the dual carriageway into town. If you live on a main road in an accident hotspot it might be some time before your instructor let's you drive home.
kironkabir
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if you don't mess up his car, cause a road incident or break the highway code rules, it's all good.

a driving lesson is a practical lesson after all you practise exactly what you should be doing in the eventual driving test.

the earlier the better. furthermore, the teacher's in control, (given there's pedals on the passenger side and he/she can take over the wheel)

good luck w driving
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not unusual if your first lesson goes alright. You might find instructors with diesel cars do it more regularly as their pupils will have fewer issues with the clutch, purely due to the nature of diesel engines (primarily heavier components which results in more torque, which, by extension, means more torque at the low end).
Soteria3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Icykitten)
I had my first driving lesson today where I started out in some quiet residential roads where I happened to know the area well so I knew where I was in relation to the mains roads, etc. At the end of the lesson however, my driving instructor told me to turn onto an a road and said I could drive home from where we were (It's about a 10-15 minute drive home). Is this normal for a first lesson?? I didn't struggle or feel uncomfortable because the roads back are pretty much a straight line but I was just wondering your thoughts on this?
Pretty normal
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, it's normal if the roads are quiet and residential where you live. I had to travel on main roads to get to an appropriate place to have lessons so didn't drive myself there and back until I was more confident.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (217)
23.66%
Pop (226)
24.65%
Jazz (35)