michaeljohnsmith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello and thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Found myself in a bit of a predicament after results day. I got 4A*'s in maths, fmaths, physics and computing. I'm of course over the moon with this and its got me into Edinburgh to study maths & computer science.

Last year I was rejected from 3 of my 5 choices, including Oxford. Personally I think this was due to my unique circumstances during the first term of last year. In lower 6th I studied maths, physics and computing but studied french instead of further maths. I then took the decision to swap french for further maths. I also got a C in one of my maths modules last year. As a result I believe that, on paper, I would have not seemed to be an overly strong candidate for a maths heavy subject and hence recieved several rejections. I also think this is why I was rejected from Oxford as when I should have been preparing for the MAT, I instead had to self teach the A2 Maths spec to be caught up with the rest of the fmaths students. As a result I completely flopped the exam and failed to get even an interview.

I'm more than happy to go to Edinburgh as it met a lot of the criteria I was looking for in a uni. However, Oxford has been a personal ambition for as long as I can remember and with all that in mind I was wondering if it would be worth giving it another shot now I have a bit more substance behind my application and could sufficiently prepare for the MAT?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by michaeljohnsmith)

Found myself in a bit of a predicament after results day. I got 4A*'s in maths, fmaths, physics and computing. I'm of course over the moon with this and its got me into Edinburgh to study maths & computer science.

Last year I was rejected from 3 of my 5 choices, including Oxford. Personally I think this was due to my unique circumstances during the first term of last year. In lower 6th I studied maths, physics and computing but studied french instead of further maths. I then took the decision to swap french for further maths. I also got a C in one of my maths modules last year. As a result I believe that, on paper, I would have not seemed to be an overly strong candidate for a maths heavy subject and hence recieved several rejections. I also think this is why I was rejected from Oxford as when I should have been preparing for the MAT, I instead had to self teach the A2 Maths spec to be caught up with the rest of the fmaths students. As a result I completely flopped the exam and failed to get even an interview.

I'm more than happy to go to Edinburgh as it met a lot of the criteria I was looking for in a uni. However, Oxford has been a personal ambition for as long as I can remember and with all that in mind I was wondering if it would be worth giving it another shot now I have a bit more substance behind my application and could sufficiently prepare for the MAT?
Oxford is always a risk, so there are no guarantees if you reapply, but it does seem like you'd be in a strong position to redo this. You don't need to decide anything today, so maybe take some time to think about the pros and cons of reapplying. How would you feel if you took a year out to reapply and didn't get in? Do you have any plans for a gap year?

Blue_Cow studies Comp_Sci at Edinburgh so may have some useful thoughts.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

the question is how could you spend your gap year? after 12 months you will not be at A star level unless you keep revising,is there a course you can do in the meantime?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

With 4 A*, it would make a lot of sense to take a gap year, re-evaluate options and reapply to Oxford + tick off other ambitions of yours using that year.

You don't want to start at Edinburgh with regrets - the course is very intense (after first-year, anyway) despite not being Oxbridge.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You obviously risk a lot, potentially even getting an Edinburgh offer in a year's time. How regretful would you be to take a year out and not achieve an Oxford offer? Would this only be about Oxford, or are also interested in getting other offers (with your strong grades)? But be realistic that there around 10 applicants per place for Maths & Comp at Oxford; the achieved grades will help a little, but it really will come down to performing in the MAT and at interview to achieve an offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?