BigManTing94
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am studying national 5 maths this year and I need an A, what are some good techniques I should use to achieve this?
katherine340
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just sat Nat 5 Maths and got a B which I’m happy with. I would recommend that you do a lot of practice at home on what you have done in class to make sure you understand it. A lot of past papers and revision. Don’t leave everything until last minute, make sure you revise thorough the year.
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BigManTing94)
I am studying national 5 maths this year and I need an A, what are some good techniques I should use to achieve this?
I got an A band 1 this year and the technique I would suggest is going straight into worked examples. Get the jist of how to do each question (you could look at your notes jotter for some common questions, or even BBC Bitesize if you want some background knowledge to how everything comes about) and then attempt some on your own. If you don't get the answer, you could give it your best attempt and bring it in to your teacher to explain. This will clarify any problems you may have, and should point you in the right direction in the future.
Valeriex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got an A this year, but I recommend that to work on all the basic, core "easy mark" skills for like until christmas/prelims such as surds, fractions etc just to make sure your good. Then hopefully you will fully understand them by the time your prelim comes. Then I spent most of my time after christmas until about March time doing the harder skills such as trig equations, parabolas. Then I spent the time in April and up to exams going over the topics I was still getting wrong, but mainly doing problem solving questions as they kind of just involve the "easy skills" with some weirdly worded questions. But if you are pretty secure on the easier topics then just head straight into the harder ones and refresh easy ones if you get them wrong. But honestly just start practicing now, even like 30 minutes on the weekend and you will have no problems come exam time. And if your teacher is a bit rubbish, just try ask a friend or another teacher and you shouldn't struggle too much for resources, just google nat 5 maths resources and honestly there are loads, I wish I took advantage of them earlier.
Aaron_0610
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,I got an A in my Nat 5 2 years ago, and an A at Higher this year, I’m also about to go to university in September to study Mathematics with Statistics.For Nat 5 maths I never looked over any “thought processes” as such, the easiest way to pick everything up was simply doing past papers over and over, using notes when needed to help learn how to do them then gradually phasing out notes. However, I’m just good at mathematics in general, I’m not very good at subjects like English, though. But in all honesty that’s the only way to get a solid A, you could potentially teach yourself why some elements of the Nat 5 course exist, I.e. proofs, but I mean that’s way too advanced for National 5, it would help you understand why some things work the way they do which could but for Nat 5 they just expect you to remember what to do and do it on exam day.If you ever are unsure of anything and don’t want to ask a teacher use the National 5 maths 2019/2020 thread and I’m sure nice folk on here will help.Good luck with trying to get your A, study hard, do a little bit everyday and by exam time you won’t need to revise, it’ll all just come to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads