The Student Room Group

What to wear to lectures

So I'm off to Edinburgh uni this sept and I'm sort of buying a few things for when I move and was wondering is there an unofficial dress code for lectures? I know some unis don't let you wear lounge wear/tracksuit bottoms etc and was wondering does Edinburgh do that? I really wanna stick to comfy clothes for lectures but scared I'll look like a slob compared to everyone else lol. What does everyone else wear?
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm off to Edinburgh uni this sept and I'm sort of buying a few things for when I move and was wondering is there an unofficial dress code for lectures? I know some unis don't let you wear lounge wear/tracksuit bottoms etc and was wondering does Edinburgh do that? I really wanna stick to comfy clothes for lectures but scared I'll look like a slob compared to everyone else lol. What does everyone else wear?

I’ve never heard about a dress code to lectures. People wear all kinds of stuff so I wouldn’t worry. Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. :smile:
Reply 2
I would just wear casual wear.

No need to suit up or anything.
Reply 3
Never heard of any university not allowing loungewear/tracksuits. Believe me after the first week or so peoples dress standards will drop drastically lol. Just go in whatever is comfortable/convenient, you're not there to win any fashion contests and no one will really care as long as you're somewhat presentable (even that's a stretch though)
Reply 4
I think it was Glasgow Caledonian uni that I visited and they said they expected biomed students to dress appropriately in lectures from 2nd year on, so trainers and "lounge wear" wasn't allowed. I also saw on here that some people's uni's frowned upon that too, but I guess I'll be good at Edinburgh with loungewear😝
Reply 5
I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about the dress code 😂
Reply 6
Original post by ashy2812
I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about the dress code 😂

Right? Haha, I'm trying to pack things and have no clue what to take, what to buy etc, hoping that some sweatshirts, leggings, jeans, and t-shirts will do for uni. Might take some casual dresses for social stuff too
you can wear what you like here. Who can be arsed dressing properly for lectures :lol:
Reply 8
I'm surprised nobody has asked if there's a dress code of what you wear for bed in Uni yet...
Original post by The Mogg
I'm surprised nobody has asked if there's a dress code of what you wear for bed in Uni yet...

:lol: I always come to the library to revise wearing my loungewear. Why am I going to dress up to write my last minute report?
Original post by Anonymous

if you're studying physics - wear trackies

if you're studying art history - wear prada
The first few weeks in freshers everyone over dresses and then after a month lots are in leggings and oversized jumpers and you never see them looking posh again! I wouldn’t worry, jeans and a top is a good way to start but you’ll get a feel for what to wear pretty fast.
Reply 12
Original post by Fermion.
:lol: I always come to the library to revise wearing my loungewear. Why am I going to dress up to write my last minute report?

So you can be fashionable whilst frantically writing your report of course!
Wear a bikini

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending