yoallimbuu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I'm wondering if computer science is good at Winchester uni, I tried searching around but I couldn't find much.

Thank you
HarryTHP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm looking for information about this too
JellyBean32
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by HarryTHP)
I'm looking for information about this too
Just wondering if you have found out? I have applied for Computer Science there and also can’t see anything( I do know they are in the process of accreditation so that’s a good sign) , hbu?
Also, to the OP if you ended up going there what was is it like?
HarryTHP
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JellyBean32)
Just wondering if you have found out? I have applied for Computer Science there and also can’t see anything( I do know they are in the process of accreditation so that’s a good sign) , hbu?
Also, to the OP if you ended up going there what was is it like?
Just attended the taster session today actually. Seemed okay!
If you dig deep enough online, you'll see there were people unsatisfied with the course and said that they actually had to get rid of a lecturer due to lack of knowledge. Also that they mainly use freely accesible online materials (which is actually what happened in the taster session today). Although a few months ago I saw they were advertising for a new CS lecturer..
So there's not really enough here to make a distinctive decision. It might be really good when we start in September, but it's up to you whether you want to make a gamble or whether you want to go somewhere that you know has an established CS course.
JellyBean32
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Just attended the taster session today actually. Seemed okay!
If you dig deep enough online, you'll see there were people unsatisfied with the course and said that they actually had to get rid of a lecturer due to lack of knowledge. Also that they mainly use freely accesible online materials (which is actually what happened in the taster session today). Although a few months ago I saw they were advertising for a new CS lecturer..
So there's not really enough here to make a distinctive decision. It might be really good when we start in September, but it's up to you whether you want to make a gamble or whether you want to go somewhere that you know has an established CS course.
Ah! I forgot to go to that, I’m glad it wasn’t too bad..
Ohh okay, I haven’t seen any of this. The fact about the free materials makes me worry slightly..like they don’t have any of their own stuff? Pretty much anyone can teach from a existing resource. My worry about going there is that it may be too simplified and feel like an Alevel or something! But yes as you say it’s hard to make a judgement until you experience it first hand. The new CS lecturer may be good but you never know. What are you gonna do in terms of firming? Do you have an offer?
HarryTHP
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ah! I forgot to go to that, I’m glad it wasn’t too bad..
Ohh okay, I haven’t seen any of this. The fact about the free materials makes me worry slightly..like they don’t have any of their own stuff? Pretty much anyone can teach from a existing resource. My worry about going there is that it may be too simplified and feel like an Alevel or something! But yes as you say it’s hard to make a judgement until you experience it first hand. The new CS lecturer may be good but you never know. What are you gonna do in terms of firming? Do you have an offer?
I applied for Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester and Bournemouth.
Got offers back from all of them apart from Southampton as they were picky about having A Level maths.

I think I'm going to go with Portsmouth, but I really liked the idea of Winchester, I'm just cautious about the CS dept. Portsmouth seemed really organised on their virtual open day and the teachers seemed to really know what they were talking about, so I think it looks promising. I've read some good things online about people doing CS there too.
Where have you applied? Any offers?
JellyBean32
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Got offers back from all of them apart from Southampton as they were picky about having A Level maths.

I think I'm going to go with Portsmouth, but I really liked the idea of Winchester, I'm just cautious about the CS dept. Portsmouth seemed really organised on their virtual open day and the teachers seemed to really know what they were talking about, so I think it looks promising. I've read some good things online about people doing CS there too.
I do not have A level maths or CS so I applied to Winchester, Warwick (for cyber Security), Kent, UWE and Staffordshire.
I have 4 offers, just waiting for Warwick however I believe that will be a rejection. If it is I think I will probably end up taking a year out to do the FT A-levels to get some better qualifications to apply for better unis. I don't particularly like the other ones oops!

Yeah just go with the one you feel most confident about and can see yourself studying at. Winchester will have more risk obvs. Portsmouth sounds good! I was thinking of applying there before when I wanted to do forensics. Especially if it had good reviews, I haven't heard anything about CS grads at Winchester so I'm kinda going on what their website says lol
But I gotta say Winchesters Campus is the best one I've seen, its so nice
Last edited by JellyBean32; 4 months ago
HarryTHP
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I do not have A level maths or CS so I applied to Winchester, Warwick (for cyber Security), Kent, UWE and Staffordshire.
I have 4 offers, just waiting for Warwick however I believe that will be a rejection. If it is I think I will probably end up taking a year out to do the FT A-levels to get some better qualifications to apply for better unis. I don't particularly like the other ones oops!

Yeah just go with the one you feel most confident about and can see yourself studying at. Winchester will have more risk obvs. Portsmouth sounds good! I was thinking of applying there before when I wanted to do forensics. Especially if it had good reviews, I haven't heard anything about CS grads at Winchester so I'm kinda going on what their website says lol
But I gotta say Winchesters Campus is the best one I've seen, its so nice
That might be a good idea, but if one of those is good for CS and you think it's okay, you might as well do that.

There aren't any grads because the course only started in 2018. First year of grads should be this year (or next year if they all do the 4 year course which involves the placement)

I feel pulled towards Winchester, the campus is the nicest I've seen and the correspondance with them has been the most helpful. Just a shame about the shortfall of the CS department. Portsmouth I think is the most sensible choice - I must follow my head over my heart!
dona6842
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

I'm a second year computer science student at Portsmouth. Ask if you have any questions!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hi! HarryTHP

Congratulations on your offer!
Please let us know if you would like some more information about the uni

Best of luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello Guys!

Totally understand that you will have a lot of questions about Winchester CS, especially as they are a new team! If you have any questions I can try my hardest to get them answered by the academics as well, so you can have the full pictures for future plans and why it's an exciting time to join Winchester CS in the new West Downs Building.

Winchester is a lovely City, so if you have any questions about life here, just ask me and I'll be happy to help!

I'm also attaching this taster talk for Computer Science that Adrianna, one of our lecturers took part in. Their section of the video begins at 14 minutes and they provide a bit more information about the educational and professional background as well:

https://www.unitasterdays.com/ondema...mputer-science

Anything else, let me know!

Luke
JellyBean32
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Winchester)
Hello Guys!

Totally understand that you will have a lot of questions about Winchester CS, especially as they are a new team! If you have any questions I can try my hardest to get them answered by the academics as well, so you can have the full pictures for future plans and why it's an exciting time to join Winchester CS in the new West Downs Building.

Winchester is a lovely City, so if you have any questions about life here, just ask me and I'll be happy to help!

I'm also attaching this taster talk for Computer Science that Adrianna, one of our lecturers took part in. Their section of the video begins at 14 minutes and they provide a bit more information about the educational and professional background as well:

Luke
Hey! I was wondering whether it’s definite that the course will be accredited? I believe they are in the process. Also, is there a low, middle or high maths content? If I were to study CS at Winchester I’d like to go onto do a masters in cryptography so math content is pretty important for me! I will watch the video, thanks!
JellyBean32
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That might be a good idea, but if one of those is good for CS and you think it's okay, you might as well do that.

There aren't any grads because the course only started in 2018. First year of grads should be this year (or next year if they all do the 4 year course which involves the placement)

I feel pulled towards Winchester, the campus is the nicest I've seen and the correspondance with them has been the most helpful. Just a shame about the shortfall of the CS department. Portsmouth I think is the most sensible choice - I must follow my head over my heart!

Yeah, good luck to you! I’m sure Portsmouth will be great
Haha that will be why I couldn’t find anything, thank you😂 I have been talking to school and parents and they are suggesting go where I’d feel most comfortable, because at the end of the day I’m going to spend 3 years there and if I don’t like the actual university that would be problematic. So I guess I’m the opposite to you, by following my heart 😂
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey! I was wondering whether it’s definite that the course will be accredited? I believe they are in the process. Also, is there a low, middle or high maths content? If I were to study CS at Winchester I’d like to go onto do a masters in cryptography so math content is pretty important for me! I will watch the video, thanks!
Hello,

Thanks for sending those over, I'll see if I get in contact with academics and get some answers for you soon!
hss_1212
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello,

Thanks for sending those over, I'll see if I get in contact with academics and get some answers for you soon!
Hi, I would also like to know the answer to this please! I will be making an application as a mature student and am thinking about Wichester, however I do not have an A level in maths, only a C in GCSE maths :/ my worry is that maths content at university will be too difficult, even though I have studied engineering maths and further maths units as part of my Engineering BTEC

I have a L3 BTEC diploma in Engineering in which I achieved an MP grade, as well as BCC at A level (Psychology, Biology and Geography respectively). This brings my UCAS points to 152, so would this be considered satisfactory for an application?
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by hss_1212)
Hi, I would also like to know the answer to this please! I will be making an application as a mature student and am thinking about Wichester, however I do not have an A level in maths, only a C in GCSE maths :/ my worry is that maths content at university will be too difficult, even though I have studied engineering maths and further maths units as part of my Engineering BTEC

I have a L3 BTEC diploma in Engineering in which I achieved an MP grade, as well as BCC at A level (Psychology, Biology and Geography respectively). This brings my UCAS points to 152, so would this be considered satisfactory for an application?
Hello hss_1212

No problem, I'm getting in contact with the academics soon, so hopefully will be able to update the thread within a week or so. I will definitely try and get as much information about the Maths element of the degree as I can.

As a mature student entry requirements are usually slightly different. However, as you already meet the required UCAS points, depending on personal statements and other elements, it could be a strong application. If you haven't applied yet and were thinking of doing so, I would encourage that. Our admissions team can always help further with requirements as well, you can reach them at [email protected]
HarryTHP
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! HarryTHP

Congratulations on your offer!
Please let us know if you would like some more information about the uni

Best of luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Thank you! I'll let you know if I have any questions 😊
HarryTHP
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello Guys!

Luke
Thanks, that's very helpful 😁
hss_1212
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello hss_1212

No problem, I'm getting in contact with the academics soon, so hopefully will be able to update the thread within a week or so. I will definitely try and get as much information about the Maths element of the degree as I can.

As a mature student entry requirements are usually slightly different. However, as you already meet the required UCAS points, depending on personal statements and other elements, it could be a strong application. If you haven't applied yet and were thinking of doing so, I would encourage that. Our admissions team can always help further with requirements as well, you can reach them at [email protected]
Hi, was there any update for this?
University of Winchester
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hss_1212)
Hi, was there any update for this?
Hello, still working on it for you, will post an update as soon as I have it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (36)
5.71%
Uncertainty around my education (74)
11.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (70)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (80)
12.68%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (36)
5.71%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (35)
5.55%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (66)
10.46%
Financial worries (41)
6.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (26)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (37)
5.86%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (18)
2.85%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (61)
9.67%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (51)
8.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed