?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
these are my options: computer science, economics, law, accounting and math
Rachaek.Samurai
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you want to be when you’re older?

If you think you want to be a lawyer you don’t have to do law. You don’t need it to get into law at uni.
However, if you just really really like the subject but want a different career, or one on the outskirts of law (ie , forensics) go for it!

Same with C.S. (Computer Science) you don’t need this to get into a C.S. degree.

As for Accounting, a lot of unis don’t like it when you have very specific a levels like this.

Maths is always a solid choice, as is Economics.
helpout
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rachaek.Samurai)
What do you want to be when you’re older?

If you think you want to be a lawyer you don’t have to do law. You don’t need it to get into law at uni.
However, if you just really really like the subject but want a different career, or one on the outskirts of law (ie , forensics) go for it!

Same with C.S. (Computer Science) you don’t need this to get into a C.S. degree.

As for Accounting, a lot of unis don’t like it when you have very specific a levels like this.

Maths is always a solid choice, as is Economics.
don't really know what I want to become but I want to keep my options open. what if I want to become an accountant don't I need to take accounting
Rachaek.Samurai
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by helpout)
don't really know what I want to become but I want to keep my options open. what if I want to become an accountant don't I need to take accounting
I would reccomend looking at a levels needed for degrees. In order to do an accounting degree, you probably need to do maths (depending on which uni) but no, you don’t need to accounting.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A-level Accounting isn't necessary for any degree programmes, and you don't need to do a degree in accounting to be an accountant anyway (accountancy grad schemes normally accept graduates of any subject; I know someone working at one of the big four who did history at Cardiff). Similarly A-level Economics is not required for any economics degrees I know of (although it's often taken by applicants to those degrees), and A-level Law isn't required by any law degree I'm aware of (in fact most law courses indicate that the A-level isn't even particularly useful for students who have taken it once they start the law degree).

Economics and computer science at degree level normally require A-level Maths, and you will have a very narrow range of options without it. Some accounting and broader business/finance courses require A-level Maths, and those that don't often require a high grade in GCSE Maths. I'd recommend you take A-level Maths as a result, to begin with. A few CS courses require A-level CS, although not that many; taking it might give you a wider range of options however, so that seems like a sensible option.

You final subject could be any of the three, although bear in mind some universities consider A-level Accounting (along with similar "vocational" A-level subjects) a "non-preferred" subject. I would probably recommend you choose between law and economics. Bear in mind A-level Law is quite different to a law degree and might not give a very good idea of what that degree is like (it's more similar to "socio-legal studies" work, generally). A-level Economics is less mathematical than an economics degree as well, so if you do take that and apply to economics, keep in mind the degree will usually be much more mathematical.
tanya.cannon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s actually common that universities don’t like it when you have a levels that are literally the course you are doing (e.g. accounting a level for accounting degree, law a level for law degree) - it’s on their list of less preferred subjects.
If you have no idea what you want to be when you are older, or what you want to study at uni, and want to keep your options open - just choose facilitating subjects! these are subjects which are useful for nearly any degree. sciences, maths, english, history, geography, languages.
However if you do want to do something more specific like economics or computer science, and you actually enjoy the subjects, then go for it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?