The Student Room Group

Can any1 help

M a outsider n planning to come here.my question is in gcse can I choose between history or geography or we have to take both. M lot confused as hiw we can choose subject? Can any1 help

Scroll to see replies

Something tells me essay subjects won’t be your strong suit
Reply 2
Original post by Ayesha1313
M a outsider n planning to come here.my question is in gcse can I choose between history or geography or we have to take both. M lot confused as hiw we can choose subject? Can any1 help

it depends on the school, in my school we did pathways, i can’t be asked to explain pathways but yeah i got to choose whether i wanted to do Geography or History or both. i chose geography, history seems soo hard, plus in my school geographers got to go on a 3 day trip to a different city so yeah. Basically it depends on the school
Reply 3
Original post by kga17
it depends on the school, in my school we did pathways, i can’t be asked to explain pathways but yeah i got to choose whether i wanted to do Geography or History or both. i chose geography, history seems soo hard, plus in my school geographers got to go on a 3 day trip to a different city so yeah. Basically it depends on the school

Ohhh thanks....
So what r spec gcse? When u hv to take gcse? If u want to go to medical school can u take maths as a foundation in gcse?
I jst want a detail on gcse
Ohhh thanks....
So what r spec gcse? When u hv to take gcse? If u want to go to medical school can u take maths as a foundation in gcse?

Compulsory GCSE subjects vary depending on the school. However, to get into medical school you will probably need to do maths A level, and therefore a high grade in GCSE maths. You will also need to take two other science subjects at A level.

Most students choose their GCSE options in year 9 either through an online program sent to them by the school or using a paper form. The combinations of subjects that may be taken together vary depending on the school, as do the required subjects. Many schools required you to a choose a humanities subject, a language and something else such as an arts subject or an additional humanities subject. GCSEs are usually taken at the end of year 11 at age 15 or 16, but may be taken at any age.

What do you mean by 'what r spec GCSE' ? Are you asking what GCSE specifications are?
Reply 5
Original post by redmeercat
Compulsory GCSE subjects vary depending on the school. However, to get into medical school you will probably need to do maths A level, and therefore a high grade in GCSE maths. You will also need to take two other science subjects at A level.

Most students choose their GCSE options in year 9 either through an online program sent to them by the school or using a paper form. The combinations of subjects that may be taken together vary depending on the school, as do the required subjects. Many schools required you to a choose a humanities subject, a language and something else such as an arts subject or an additional humanities subject. GCSEs are usually taken at the end of year 11 at age 15 or 16, but may be taken at any age.

What do you mean by 'what r spec GCSE' ? Are you asking what GCSE specifications are?

Ohh thank you very much
So gcse are taken at the end of year 11 that's for sure ryt?
Yea by spec I mean specifications
Reply 6
So in England there is no proper exam before year 9 after year 9 aka in year 10 u ll hv proper exams?
(edited 4 years ago)
So in England there is no proper exam before year 9 after year 9 aka in year 10 u ll hv proper exams?

That depends. Most students will only do real exams in year 11, but some schools do certain subjects earlier. e.g. I did Astronomy GCSE in year 9, my friend (who is French) did French GCSE in year 7 and lots of schools do a subject in year 10. It really depends on your individual school and situation.

There are many different exams baords that produce GCSE exam specifications. Most schools use Edexcel, AQA or OCR but there are others. If you look on your school's website you should be able to see which exam boards you'll be using. A specification is the list of things you'll need to know for the exam, e.g. https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-8300/subject-content

You can Choose i think. And If I were you I'd choose geography a lot less difficult than history and a lot more enjoyable.
Reply 9
Ohhh thanks....

you take gcses at the end of year 11 so May to June, but you have some that you do earlier too, like languages and art etc. i don’t think it’s likely that you’ll be able to go to medical school if you do foundation maths because the highest level you can get in foundation is a level 5 and since medical stuff is so hard, im pretty sure they will ask for a higher grade when applying, and plus you have to do A-Levels and it depends on what sixth form you go to and what their requirements are for certain subjects, so if u do subjects that are useful for medical school like biology, chemistry, maths etc then you’ll need to get high levels to get into medical school probably, but anything is possible i guess so yeah!
Reply 10
Original post by kga17
you take gcses at the end of year 11 so May to June, but you have some that you do earlier too, like languages and art etc. i don’t think it’s likely that you’ll be able to go to medical school if you do foundation maths because the highest level you can get in foundation is a level 5 and since medical stuff is so hard, im pretty sure they will ask for a higher grade when applying, and plus you have to do A-Levels and it depends on what sixth form you go to and what their requirements are for certain subjects, so if u do subjects that are useful for medical school like biology, chemistry, maths etc then you’ll need to get high levels to get into medical school probably, but anything is possible i guess so yeah!

Thank you so much!!!
So what are mocks??
after year 9 u get proper exams aka it's starts in year 10 proper exams?
And by taking subjects it really depend on school so what if my school said that u can choose anything free choice like if wanna take language I cn or not my choose or stuff like that isn't possible?
Reply 11
That depends. Most students will only do real exams in year 11, but some schools do certain subjects earlier. e.g. I did Astronomy GCSE in year 9, my friend (who is French) did French GCSE in year 7 and lots of schools do a subject in year 10. It really depends on your individual school and situation.

There are many different exams baords that produce GCSE exam specifications. Most schools use Edexcel, AQA or OCR but there are others. If you look on your school's website you should be able to see which exam boards you'll be using. A specification is the list of things you'll need to know for the exam, e.g. https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-8300/subject-content

Thank you so much!!
So u did astronomy in year 9 gcse
What if u failed would u still go to next grade?
If the gcse u gave earlier like languages arts ect and u failed is it possible that u can go to next grade like year 10
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by kga17

M difinity giving u a like
Reply 13
Thank you so much!!!
So what are mocks??
after year 9 u get proper exams aka it's starts in year 10 proper exams?
And by taking subjects it really depend on school so what if my school said that u can choose anything free choice like if wanna take language I cn or not my choose or stuff like that isn't possible?

Haha you’re welcome! Mocks are just practice GCSE exams, they’re just so you get a taste of how the real exams are like and how you line up on the day, what u should bring etc etc. the results of the mocks usually don’t affect you, except maybe they might move your class sets or change your exam paper to foundation/higher. In my school for example, proper exams start in year 10 only for certain subjects like Art, Textiles and Languages (and i think another one but i forgot) and the rest are in Year 11. but i found out that in some other schools they even do some proper exams in year 9, but i don’t think that’s very often lol. and yeah i think it depends on your school for what type of subjects you can choose, for example like i said in my school we have this thing called pathways that we choose in year 9 and that tells us the subjects we can choose, and i chose purple which means i can take either geography OR history, and either RE OR citizenship, any other subject that i like and i HAVE to take a language (and obviously the other compulsory subjects like maths, english, and science) but like on the blue pathway, you DONT need to take a language, instead you can choose any 2 subjects that you want, but you still have to choose from the history/geog, re/citizenship options too. you understand? like it depends on ur school, but i’m pretty sure you don’t need to take a language.
Thank you so much!!
So u did astronomy in year 9 gcse
What if u failed would u still go to next grade?
If the gcse u gave earlier like languages arts ect and u failed is it possible that u can go to next grade like year 10

Yes, you do into the usually move into the next year of school if you fail, unless you ask and have a good reason for redoing a year. Reasons might include having missed a lot due to ill health or having moved from abroad and thus not received grades reflective of your standard due to having to learn English, and things like that.

When you apply for jobs in the UK, you will be asked for your GCSE grades. Almost all require at least English Language and Maths at a grade 4, but most ask for at least 5 GCSEs including Eng Lang and Maths at a grade 4 or 5.

'Mock' exams are like test exams. You complete a test paper in exam conditions (in silence in the exam hall) ('un examen blanc' in French if that helps') but the grade doesn't mean anything.

If you speak another language that is available as a GCSE, you will probably be allowed to take the exam as it wouldn't be at all challenging! However, the subjects you can choose other than that depend on the subjects offered by the school. Although you really need at least 8 GCSEs, there is no limit on the number and so different schools offer different subjects. Some schools might offer Media but others might not. Some might offer PE but others might not. It really depends and you have to ask the individual school, but they should give you a list of subjects to choose from in any case.
Reply 15
I did both for GCSE and loved them. I believe geography and history are both excellent and really important subjects to take, as you appreciate and learn a lot more about the world we live in today, and become a lot more critical and appreciative in creating arguments.
Most high schools make you do all subjects up until year 10 and then, for your GCSEs you get to pick. So for history and geography, you'd choose which one you want to do the most
Original post by Yiling_Patriarch
Most high schools make you do all subjects up until year 10 and then, for your GCSEs you get to pick. So for history and geography, you'd choose which one you want to do the most

Pretty sure it’s changed to gcse prep at yr 9
Original post by Coconutloverxx
Pretty sure it’s changed to gcse prep at yr 9

It depends on the school, most it's still year 10.
It depends on the school, most it's still year 10.

Oh ok

Quick Reply

Latest