The Student Room Group

Do you think I stand a chance at Maths Bsc at Oxford?

I received my results recently and turned out I got A*s across the board for Maths, Biology and Psychology. I didn’t expect this at all (my predicted grades were ABB) and because I want to apply for a different degree (Maths, was originally Psych) I’m taking a gap year.

I emailed Oxford regarding gap years before the idea and they said that a gap year is ok, I just need to do Further Maths, which I’m fast tracking. The thing is, with my GCSEs I got 2A*s (Both Maths), 2 Distinction* (IT) 4 As and 4Bs, which may prove to my detriment. I am confident I can get an A* in FM if I put my utmost effort into it. Do you think it’s worth a shot or will I be wasting my time?
Oxford weigh GCSEs pretty heavily, but if you did very well in the MAT, it might outweigh those. Cambridge doesn't consider GCSEs so much, so that might be an option (if they accept FM being taken on its own in a gap year; you'd also need to take STEP for Cambridge). I'd suggest you do some MAT past papers, and try some STEP paper I/II past papers, to get an idea of what each entail.

Something to bear in mind is university degree level maths is very different to the maths in A-level (either maths or FM). I'd recommend you look at some introductory textbooks such as Spivak's Calculus (actually an introduction to analysis), any abstract linear algebra book (most seem to suggest Lang, although I loathe his writing style), or any other introductory analysis text book (there are innumerable options for this area), to see if it appeals. You might also find something like Fraleigh's A First Course in Abstract Algebra a good indicator of the style of maths involved.

@RichE may be able to advise on other texts, such as his own Towards Higher Mathematics book (which is more about bridging the gap than introducing new concepts, as I can tell). Lara Alcock (of Loughborough University) also wrote a couple of neat books, one on analysis (less teaching it and more about developing the intuition for it) and another on study skills for a maths degree specifically. If you find the above interesting but not necessarily easy (which is, I would imagine, expected) these might help you digest them better.

Assuming you do find the above stimulating and engaging, if you're confident you can do extremely well in the MAT, Oxford may well be worth a shot. As above, if not, Cambridge could be an option, although my impression is generally STEP is harder than the MAT (and a bit different in style). You may also want to consider Warwick and Imperial (the other two maths courses considered on par with Oxbridge) and maybe Bristol (usually considered not far behind those four) when applying. If you get an A* in FM you would meet Warwick's requirements without taking STEP, I believe.

Also, small point of order: Oxford doesn't offer a BSc Maths :wink: All maths students are admitted to the MMath, but you can supplicate for the BA after three years if you want. All undergraduate first degrees (whether in sciences or arts) are BAs are Oxford (and Cambridge), although some (like maths) have the additional fourth year course. This might also be something to consider, if you end up deciding between Oxford and Cambridge, is that at Cambridge you normally need to get a 1st to progress to the MMath year, while at Oxford you can progress to it with a 2:1.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Red’s the name?
I received my results recently and turned out I got A*s across the board for Maths, Biology and Psychology. I didn’t expect this at all (my predicted grades were ABB) and because I want to apply for a different degree (Maths, was originally Psych) I’m taking a gap year.

I emailed Oxford regarding gap years before the idea and they said that a gap year is ok, I just need to do Further Maths, which I’m fast tracking. The thing is, with my GCSEs I got 2A*s (Both Maths), 2 Distinction* (IT) 4 As and 4Bs, which may prove to my detriment. I am confident I can get an A* in FM if I put my utmost effort into it. Do you think it’s worth a shot or will I be wasting my time?

Maths is one of the subjects at Oxford that care least about GCSEs, especially if your GCSEs were typical or above average from your school/college. Much more important is the MAT when it comes to shortlisting for interviews. So, if you're potentially interested in Oxford, then spending some of the summer attempting past MAT papers would be time well spent - the deadline for application is 15th Oct and the MAT date is 30th Oct, so you don't have huge amounts of time to decide/prepare. There is an open day on Friday 20th September if you want a chance to check the department and city.

I concur with everything else artful said. Tag me if ever you have other questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending