Medicine GCSE requirements for KCL

Watch this thread
alexanderalxk
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone, I want to apply to kings college for medicine and they want a grade 6 for English language and maths. I got 7 in maths; but 5 in English language. I was wondering, if I were to get good A levels and a good UCAT score(that meets their cutoff) , would I have a chance of being accepted?
Adam :)
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alexanderalxk)
Hello everyone, I want to apply to kings college for medicine and they want a grade 6 for English language and maths. I got 7 in maths; but 5 in English language. I was wondering, if I were to get good A levels and a good UCAT score(that meets their cutoff) , would I have a chance of being accepted?
im not 100% sure but i believe they wouldnt consider your application as it doesnt meet their standard entry requirement. However you're better off giving them a ring and asking them just to clarify. I'd also apply to unis which arent as gcse 'demanding' as others.
- Adam
NoName123100123
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How's ucat revision going? eek
Oljen
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Just retake your English language gcse , it’s quick and easy . 2 revision sessions you can boost that to a 6
alexanderalxk
Rep:
How would I go about doing that, Oljen?
Last edited by alexanderalxk; 2 years ago
alexanderalxk
Rep:
(Original post by NoName123100123)
How's ucat revision going? eek
Pretty good, I’m confident I’ll get a good score.
alexanderalxk
Rep:
(Original post by Adam :))
im not 100% sure but i believe they wouldnt consider your application as it doesnt meet their standard entry requirement. However you're better off giving them a ring and asking them just to clarify. I'd also apply to unis which arent as gcse 'demanding' as others.
- Adam
Thank you, I will definitely call them and find out. I will probably end up retaking English to get a 6
NoName123100123
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Pretty good, I’m confident I’ll get a good score.
What resource did you use in your revision for the ucat?
alexanderalxk
Rep:
(Original post by NoName123100123)
What resource did you use in your revision for the ucat?
I’m using themedicportal but I also heard medify is good.
Oljen
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, I will definitely call them and find out. I will probably end up retaking English to get a 6
How would I go about doing that, Oljen?
Your sixth form should allow you it’s like £40 to retake English
alexanderalxk
Rep:
(Original post by Oljen)
Your sixth form should allow you it’s like £40 to retake English
And could I retake English before the UCAS deadlines?
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i wouldnt recommend that as many med schools if not all dont accept resits.
- Adam
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i wouldnt recommend that as many med schools if not all dont accept resits.
- Adam
Wrong, the list is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...28&postcount=3

18 med schools accept resits.

There are definitely more med schools taking resit applicants now:
 Sheffield, Bristol, HYMS, UEA, Keele (but only with achieved A*AA), Liverpool, Manchester, Leicester, Nottingham, Plymouth, Exeter, Southampton, ARU, Sunderland, Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”) and Aston say they will look at things on a case by case basis, so would need contacting prior to application. There is also BSMS and Lancaster if you do BMAT.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Wrong, the list is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...28&postcount=3

18 med schools accept resits.
The OP wont stand a chance with resit grades we all know that.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The OP wont stand a chance with resit grades we all know that.
Maybe, but I wanted you and the OP to know that it's definitely not the case that "many med schools if not all dont accept resits".

This misinformation dates back from a few years ago when A-Levels were modular, now that it's linear more and more med schools are accepting retakes. On this student forum we need to give our students the latest most up-to-date information to enable them to make these potentially life-changing decisions.

It may or may not apply to the OP, but I hope that by telling you next time you would advise someone else that yes they can resit and they have a chance.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
They’re also talking about GCSEs?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
They’re also talking about GCSEs?
In that case, it's even more acceptable to med schools

(Most don't even have a policy on GCSE resits)
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Maybe, but I wanted you and the OP to know that it's definitely not the case that "many med schools if not all dont accept resits".

This misinformation dates back from a few years ago when A-Levels were modular, now that it's linear more and more med schools are accepting retakes. On this student forum we need to give our students the latest most up-to-date information to enable them to make these potentially life-changing decisions.

It may or may not apply to the OP, but I hope that by telling you next time you would advise someone else that yes they can resit and they have a chance.
the OP is better off applying for foundation entry he stands a much better chance
ecolier
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
the OP is better off applying for foundation entry he stands a much better chance
Medication with a Foundation Year is not for everyone and will require the OP to meet certain criteria. It is also more competitive because there are less spaces.

Anyway my point is retaking GCSEs is acceptable, retaking A-Levels is also acceptable to many med schools.
Kaiix
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeahhhh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (38)
34.55%
The paper was reasonable (43)
39.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
16.36%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10%

Watched Threads