Is an unconditional possible with these results? Watch

wiktooor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, I got A's in higher maths, french, English and C's in comp sci and physics (possible remark on comp sci as 2 marks off of a B).

I'm interested in studying French alongside either linguistics or translation in one of these universities: Stirling, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt.

These are the questions I have on my mind:

1. Would the 2 C's impact my application a lot given they are not related to what I would like to study

2. Is an unconditional possible for one of the "worse" universities such as Aberdeen or Stirling

3. Is a conditional offer from one of the "better" universities (St Andrews mainly) possible with a good performance in S6

For some more context I'm doing AH French, crash higher Spanish and a 30 point Open University course (understanding languages and cultures).
Aaron_0610
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, with 3 A's.... you are bound to get an unconditional probably, maybe in clearing.

I know for a fact I just got an unconditional clearing offer to study Mathematics at Herriot-Watt with AABCCDD, so it's not impossible.

I have to be honest, with those results you can rule out, St. Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh, they usually want AAAB Minimum, I know Glasgow expects AABB at the end of S5 as a minimum then AAAAB or something in S6.

Heriot-Watt and Aberdeen would probably except you on those results, you can always e-mail their admissions department to ask.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wiktooor)
Hey guys, I got A's in higher maths, french, English and C's in comp sci and physics (possible remark on comp sci as 2 marks off of a B).

I'm interested in studying French alongside either linguistics or translation in one of these universities: Stirling, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt.

These are the questions I have on my mind:

1. Would the 2 C's impact my application a lot given they are not related to what I would like to study

2. Is an unconditional possible for one of the "worse" universities such as Aberdeen or Stirling

3. Is a conditional offer from one of the "better" universities (St Andrews mainly) possible with a good performance in S6

For some more context I'm doing AH French, crash higher Spanish and a 30 point Open University course (understanding languages and cultures).
I think you'd have a good chance of getting unconditionals from all of the above universities apart from the big 3. The Cs unfortunately do impact your application somewhat. Do you know how close you were to Bs? Could you get any of them remarked?
Aaron_0610
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I think you'd have a good chance of getting unconditionals from all of the above universities apart from the big 3. The Cs unfortunately do impact your application somewhat. Do you know how close you were to Bs? Could you get any of them remarked?
SQA don’t remark papers anymore. The way their new system works is if a candidate is only a few marks away from a higher boundary they remark it through the normal marking process, by a group of people. This stops the needs for remarking.

At the end of the day it’s a degree, I wanted to go to Strathclyde but I’m going to Heriot Watt, every university gives you the same degree.. I mean my course wanted ABBBB and I managed to get in with ABBCC, 2 Bs short.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aaron_0610)
SQA don’t remark papers anymore. The way their new system works is if a candidate is only a few marks away from a higher boundary they remark it through the normal marking process, by a group of people. This stops the needs for remarking.
The SQA does marking reviews of papers as part of their post results service...Am pretty sure that they do not routinely remark papers pre-results.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aaron_0610)

At the end of the day it’s a degree, I wanted to go to Strathclyde but I’m going to Heriot Watt, every university gives you the same degree.. I mean my course wanted ABBBB and I managed to get in with ABBCC, 2 Bs short.
SQA do still re-mark papers??? I know people who've sent theres to be remarked this year

OP, check their entrance requirements. If you already meet the criteria then you may have a chance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads