12tahsinla
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I mean if you normally go to a shop and want to buy something (let’s say a frame) seemingly expensive you would obviously go for the best looking one out of all the frames. Even thoo they cost the same right ? Like u don’t want there to b missing screw or broken corner or anything .

Likewise for uni, we all paying the same fees for uni, obviously we want to go the best one right ? Then y do we just want to settle for anyone that we got into.

With that in mind, shall I care more about a unis reputation and outer appearance or shall I not ? Because at the end of the day I can’t compare or talk about the actual talking or research since j haven’t experienced it.

I got into my uni choice but I lowkey feel not fully happy because I feel like I want to go to a better uni. Or shall I just go with the flow since uni is pretty hard to get into anyway ?
SimaBan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
unis reputation should be the first priority. in the end of the day, when you will graduate and apply for job, there gonna be many people with same degree for one position.and the job will be the ones who went to better ranked uni.
CuriousShinigami
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 12tahsinla)
I mean if you normally go to a shop and want to buy something (let’s say a frame) seemingly expensive you would obviously go for the best looking one out of all the frames. Even thoo they cost the same right ? Like u don’t want there to b missing screw or broken corner or anything .

Likewise for uni, we all paying the same fees for uni, obviously we want to go the best one right ? Then y do we just want to settle for anyone that we got into.

With that in mind, shall I care more about a unis reputation and outer appearance or shall I not ? Because at the end of the day I can’t compare or talk about the actual talking or research since j haven’t experienced it.

I got into my uni choice but I lowkey feel not fully happy because I feel like I want to go to a better uni. Or shall I just go with the flow since uni is pretty hard to get into anyway ?
I don't see situations where a reputation has made someone more likely to get a job (I mean I would dispute Oxbridge but don't know about that place).

For myself, I prefer going to a place I know I'll enjoy my time at. Not in the going out sense but more I enjoy the life there.. I've heard of people being miserable and it can't be good for your grades. Like you might say Newcastle was a great university but I didn't like how huge the place felt to me at the time. I preferred a smaller city that I find still has some amazing lecturers. Besidesssss.. No matter what Uni.. They have pretty glaring problems somewhere like you'd expect so you're not exactly getting ya moneys worth sometimes :rofl:Had friends tell me how surprisingly unsupportive their course staff have been or the unorganisation present.
Prestige I've never valued.. Some of these universities I'd never go to knowing how old fashioned they are in their ideals still.
This is just my opinion and of course I've not personally attended them.

Also for some degrees like Psychology all BPS accredited courses have to teach the same basics so universities mostly don't differ - I can still eventually progress onto a Doctorate with GBC. Or there is more niche courses at these other universities that provide that a student may want.
Some people get lower grades than anticipated but they aren't stupid people.. You can still contribute great things even if ya didn't go to some prestigious university. Like intelligence isn't simply measured through just A Levels, and not to mention it doesn't always capture you at your best.

After all they don't all exist for no purpose besides Oxbridge/Kings College, etc. It isn't, for me, that simple.

*Sorry for ranting but I see this kind of question every day... It's usually the elite bunch on here however who see no other path from:
Get into Russell Group/Oxbridge
Study [insert STEM, finance or other]
= Or else you're wasting time and shall amount to nothing.
It's pretty silly.. Placing importance on certain jobs over others can be pretty subjective. Not everyone wanna work in a bank 😂
Last edited by CuriousShinigami; 4 weeks ago
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
(Original post by CuriousShinigami)
I don't see situations where a reputation has made someone more likely to get a job (I mean I would dispute Oxbridge but don't know about that place).

For myself, I prefer going to a place I know I'll enjoy my time at. Not in the going out sense but more I enjoy the life there.. I've heard of people being miserable and it can't be good for your grades. Like you might say Newcastle was a great university but I didn't like how huge the place felt to me at the time. I preferred a smaller city that I find still has some amazing lecturers. Besidesssss.. No matter what Uni.. They have pretty glaring problems somewhere like you'd expect so you're not exactly getting ya moneys worth sometimes :rofl:Had friends tell me how surprisingly unsupportive their course staff have been or the unorganisation present.
Prestige I've never valued.. Some of these universities I'd never go to knowing how old fashioned they are in their ideals still.
This is just my opinion and of course I've not personally attended them.

Also for some degrees like Psychology all BPS accredited courses have to teach the same basics so universities mostly don't differ - I can still eventually progress onto a Doctorate with GBC. Or there is more niche courses at these other universities that provide that a student may want.
Some people get lower grades than anticipated but they aren't stupid people.. You can still contribute great things even if ya didn't go to some prestigious university. Like intelligence isn't simply measured through just A Levels, and not to mention it doesn't always capture you at your best.

After all they don't all exist for no purpose besides Oxbridge/Kings College, etc. It isn't, for me, that simple.

*Sorry for ranting but I see this kind of question every day... It's usually the elite bunch on here however who see no other path from:
Get into Russell Group/Oxbridge
Study [insert STEM, finance or other]
= Or else you're wasting time and shall amount to nothing.
It's pretty silly.. Placing importance on certain jobs over others can be pretty subjective. Not everyone wanna work in a bank 😂
Hahah loool. I wanna work in a bank and idkkk I’m. It particularly looking at oxbridge or anything but even for other London non Russel group unisss, they’re amazing but we don’t know how it’s truly like until the actual day and idk I wish transferring to unis could be easier just like it was with college .
CuriousShinigami
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hahah loool. I wanna work in a bank and idkkk I’m. It particularly looking at oxbridge or anything but even for other London non Russel group unisss, they’re amazing but we don’t know how it’s truly like until the actual day and idk I wish transferring to unis could be easier just like it was with college .
I feel if you really dislike it there.. Transferring would be fine for your second year onwards. Your happiness pretty important, you'd struggle to succeed if you hated a uni :3

I think universities exist for different people really.. Like some people like myself would never go Oxbridge. I feel like being from working class I'd never feel at home. Like friends I have didn't seek the best university possible but simply the closest one to home. I myself wanted somewhere green but south so I could try different scenery but also course flexibility.
So really.. You should look for the best university for you. That's how I stand on this issue about how you should pick a university.
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
(Original post by CuriousShinigami)
I feel if you really dislike it there.. Transferring would be fine for your second year onwards. Your happiness pretty important, you'd struggle to succeed if you hated a uni :3

I think universities exist for different people really.. Like some people like myself would never go Oxbridge. I feel like being from working class I'd never feel at home. Like friends I have didn't seek the best university possible but simply the closest one to home. I myself wanted somewhere green but south so I could try different scenery but also course flexibility.
So really.. You should look for the best university for you. That's how I stand on this issue about how you should pick a university.
Ohhh Yh that’s the problem with transfers tho because even tho u done one year they still some of them look at ur alevel grades and if it doesn’t math their criteria it’s not possible for a transfer .
Wish uniii transfers were easier like collgessss.

Also I feel like coz my parents are so uninvolved it’s so hard to decide best uni for me considering there are so many factors to consider
CuriousShinigami
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ohhh Yh that’s the problem with transfers tho because even tho u done one year they still some of them look at ur alevel grades and if it doesn’t math their criteria it’s not possible for a transfer .
Wish uniii transfers were easier like collgessss.

Also I feel like coz my parents are so uninvolved it’s so hard to decide best uni for me considering there are so many factors to consider
I mean you could still go somewhere else... not sure about them looking at your A Levels. I mean some may but I think great first year grades mean Universities allow for transfer. You'd just have to ask at a few universities to check if that is possible.
Sucks that your family not helpful... but I suppose seeking some help from teachers or peers could be just as good if not more informed (my parents aren't great with this as neither went to university).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?