The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
https://www.whatuni.com/university-clearing/

Put your details in and see what I see what is available / open to you now if you haven’t already done so
Reply 2
And if that doesn’t work I would be tempted to go for a foundation year at the Uni of choice and join the full course next year

Good luck
Reply 3
Good News: Biomedical sciences foundation years at various university are available to you
Maybe it's a saving grace, I take my hat off to anyone who's graduated with a medical degree as I know I personally couldn't do it. The constant pressure and stress is something you have to think about and even if you got your grades up do you think you could hack it?

Be really honest with yourself, perhaps browse around online to see what exactly is required of you and speak to those who've been through it. If you believe that you'll see it through then it's worth another shot with the worst case scenario being that you bump up your grades and find out it's not for you...
Reply 5
Posters are very quick to jump in and declare the OP should scrap plans for a medical related career. We don’t know why the OP didn’t study last year, could be numerous reasons but they have paid the price.

What I’m saying is they could even with those dire failed grades go onto a biosciences foundation degree course and work at it, if they prove their worth they can carry on the following year or possibly move to another university at a later point.

There are all kinds of jobs medical related that don’t need a specific degree in medicine. It’s either that or start again with the A levels, if they simply resit did they secure the practical endorsement
(edited 4 years ago)
i didn't study nor care about my grades towards the end of the exam period and got bbb, if you got dde at a-levels you're probably not smart enough to be a doctor but by all means do resit
Hey, I got BCD for A Levels (English lit, bio and chem) and I’m in the same boat (want to apply for medicine). From what I see we can’t apply directly, you need BBB minimum from the universities that do accept retakes. So I have opted to apply for Biomedical sciences, since I don’t want to get all rejections, then hopefully transfer out after first year or go for graduate entry. From what I see that is the best option, I was also looking at a foundation year in medicine but that is also extremely competitive, you need extenuating circumstances (being depressed and tired throughout all of AS and A2 seems like a weak reason but it was genuinely true for me, but I don’t think they’ll accept that) and most don’t accept retakes. There are so many options, either way I’m resigned to being in it for the long haul, since I didn’t get BBB first time round so can’t get in directly. It’s not the end of the road. But now I’m just worrying about biomedical sciences because will they look at my grades and reject me??? Like I can only go a grade higher, and I’m onky retaking chem and bio, so BBC prediction?
Original post by LsDad
Posters are very quick to jump in and declare the OP should scrap plans for a medical related career. We don’t know why the OP didn’t study last year, could be numerous reasons but they have paid the price.

What I’m saying is they could even with those dire failed grades go onto a biosciences foundation degree course and work at it, if they prove their worth they can carry on the following year or possibly move to another university at a later point.

There are all kinds of jobs medical related that don’t need a specific degree in medicine. It’s either that or start again with the A levels, if they simply resit did they secure the practical endorsement

I didn't see anyone saying that OP should scrap plans for a medical related career.

I just saw some people give OP realistic advice about their chances of getting onto a Medicine degree course or Medicine with a Foundation Year.

Getting onto a Biological sciences foundation year is a lot more realistic, but to progress from this to a career in medicine with DDC at first sitting is very unlikely and you know, it's good to be positive but you also need to be realistic.
I ae to agree .. being overly optimistic is only setting someone up for a bigger fall and doesn't help anyone . do those retakes and get as good grades as possible but I would suggest someone capable of AAA with work would ave got something along the lines of CCC minimum with no work. retaking should pull everything up by a grade maybe even 2 grades but 3 or 4 grades is highly unusual.

I think the key is what has juts been said start looking at medical Related careers there are loads it might be more realistic than medicie. eg radiography nursing occupational therapy midwifery paramedic optician pharmacist dental technician.... probably lots of others too have a good look ther will be something that suits you juts right its jut a question of finding it!
Original post by harrysbar
I didn't see anyone saying that OP should scrap plans for a medical related career.

I just saw some people give OP realistic advice about their chances of getting onto a Medicine degree course or Medicine with a Foundation Year.

Getting onto a Biological sciences foundation year is a lot more realistic, but to progress from this to a career in medicine with DDC at first sitting is very unlikely and you know, it's good to be positive but you also need to be realistic.

OP attained DDE not CDD.
Original post by Anagogic
OP attained DDE not CDD.

Oh yes, I read this in a hurry! The advice to be realistic is even more relevant then
Original post by LadyScheherazade
Hey, I got BCD for A Levels (English lit, bio and chem) and I’m in the same boat (want to apply for medicine). From what I see we can’t apply directly, you need BBB minimum from the universities that do accept retakes. So I have opted to apply for Biomedical sciences, since I don’t want to get all rejections, then hopefully transfer out after first year or go for graduate entry. From what I see that is the best option, I was also looking at a foundation year in medicine but that is also extremely competitive, you need extenuating circumstances (being depressed and tired throughout all of AS and A2 seems like a weak reason but it was genuinely true for me, but I don’t think they’ll accept that) and most don’t accept retakes. There are so many options, either way I’m resigned to being in it for the long haul, since I didn’t get BBB first time round so can’t get in directly. It’s not the end of the road. But now I’m just worrying about biomedical sciences because will they look at my grades and reject me??? Like I can only go a grade higher, and I’m onky retaking chem and bio, so BBC prediction?

there is options such as abroad which you can take
Original post by Adam :)
there is options such as abroad which you can take

Believe me I looked into that and it seemed way too expensive. I know people are like well it’s less expensive cause you are in University for less time than with graduate entry for example. But my problem is that I won’t be entitled to student finance or basically any help at all. I looked into it because if I can directly get into medicine while exploring a whole other culture that seems like a win win for me, but it doesn’t seem financially feasible, and I doubt I would get a scholarship cause I’m not that smart to be competing with all of these med students. I would actually love to get some advice from someone who has actually done medicine abroad and is not super rich but I don’t see that anywhere. Right now it just doesn’t seem like an option to me.
Believe me I looked into that and it seemed way too expensive. I know people are like well it’s less expensive cause you are in University for less time than with graduate entry for example. But my problem is that I won’t be entitled to student finance or basically any help at all. I looked into it because if I can directly get into medicine while exploring a whole other culture that seems like a win win for me, but it doesn’t seem financially feasible, and I doubt I would get a scholarship cause I’m not that smart to be competing with all of these med students. I would actually love to get some advice from someone who has actually done medicine abroad and is not super rich but I don’t see that anywhere. Right now it just doesn’t seem like an option to me.

im planning on going in 2020 and im in no way shape or form rich.
(edited 4 years ago)
Mate ..
Original post by Adam :)
im planning on going this year and im in no way shape or form rich.

How did you do so, and what grades did you get, if I may ask?
How did you do so, and what grades did you get, if I may ask?

im applying with predicted grades(BBC). But i know people who hve got in with c's and d's so i think you should be able to
I recommend doing a foundation year for biomedical sciences, after you achieve a degree in that , you can opt for Graduate entry medical schools .
You don’t have to give up your dreams however you have to be realistic
Original post by Hannah777789
I recommend doing a foundation year for biomedical sciences, after you achieve a degree in that , you can opt for Graduate entry medical schools .
You don’t have to give up your dreams however you have to be realistic

graduate entry medicine is very competitive and the chances are very slim. If they dont get into grad entry med theyre stuck with a degree they dont want. Studying abroad is the best decision imo.

Latest