coolguy456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok guys, now PYA5 is over and done, it is time to look at the AEA, it is on Thursday! Is anyone else doing it? If so how are you preparing for it? I have just been looking over my synoptic stuff mostly and some methods stuff but I'm not sure I'm looking at the right things?
a_237
Report 11 years ago
yeah i'm doing it also. I figure though that approaches is fine but we have to know like humanistic and evolutionary and cognitive (considering i only did behavioural, biological and psychodynamic for PYA 5) and then methodology which i'm just going to revise over reasearch methods but then yeah, we have to know all the issues 5 i think ( ethics, socially sensitive research, gender and culture bias and non human animals) and all the debates. great...

does this sound about right?
a_237
Report 11 years ago
Do you know if it's like the other units where we can guess the topics that aren't gonna come up based on what came up last year do you think?
a_237
Report 11 years ago
haha no i see your point. I just don't really know how to revise for it you know? what are you gonna do?
a_237
Report 11 years ago
haha yeah i've never done a complete paper just sections in one of them. The national pass rate is like 5% though so who knows how it'll go. The uni i wanna go to hasn't asked for it luckily i'm just hoping if my other psychology doesn't go that great i'll have this as kind of a back up.

What did you think of unit 4 and 5?
a_237
Report 11 years ago
um yeah, i know what you mean about unit 4 but actually preferred it out of the two. i didn't like how they worded the depression question or the debates one. Thought it was all over till i realised i had to keep learning them again lol
freetofly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it definitely on Thursday in the morning? For some reason I am not sure of, I thought it was on Friday...

Is anyone going to do anything extra apart from looking at the issues/debates they didn't do for PYA5?
a_237
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by freetofly)
Is it definitely on Thursday in the morning? For some reason I am not sure of, I thought it was on Friday...

Is anyone going to do anything extra apart from looking at the issues/debates they didn't do for PYA5?
yeah it's on thursday morning. I'm not gonna look over anything else apart from the other approaches that we didn't learn for unit 5 either. In total theres biological, behavioural, cognitive, evolutionary, psychodynamic and humanistic. Probably go over those too.
freetofly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by a_237)
yeah it's on thursday morning. I'm not gonna look over anything else apart from the other approaches that we didn't learn for unit 5 either. In total theres biological, behavioural, cognitive, evolutionary, psychodynamic and humanistic. Probably go over those too.
Well that would have been embarassing turning up a day late

Thanks so much! Nice suggestions for what to look over, very useful!

Good luck everyone for Thursday x
coolguy456
Rep:
?
I have finished all my proper exams and I really am debating whether to turn up or not lol Apparently 80% of people fail this exam? That is what my teacher told me anyway haha.
coolguy456
Rep:
?
Ok sorry, I just looked and last year 65% of candidates got a U lol
freetofly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is anyone here going to learn the different statistical tests?
coolguy456
Rep:
?
What you mean? I know we have to answer a methods question but I didn't realise they may ask us to analyse data!
freetofly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by coolguy456)
What you mean? I know we have to answer a methods question but I didn't realise they may ask us to analyse data!
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/aea/qp-ms...W-QP-JUN07.PDF

If you look at question 2, I was thinking maybe we needed to know some for part c - or maybe I'm wrong. I don't know, my teachers haven't told me anything...
Hispanic-Impressions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would like to have done it, but my school don't seem to enter students for them (or they didn't think I'd be good enough which is RUBBISH :rolleyes:), either way, I'm not. /useless
a_237
Report 11 years ago

My teacher said you don't have to like apply them as long as you know what some of them do so you can say 'oh i'd have used this to analyse my results' kinda thing.

The only debate i didn't learn was reductionism, anyone give me any help on it? or a model answer?
thanks x
flymeaway
Report 11 years ago
How did you all find it? I thought it was much better than the past papers I've seen, and the approaches q on a 'great idea' was a gem - i used operant conditioning.
What did you all think?
xxx
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
an AEA- You Brainy Bunch:p:
coolguy456
Rep:
?
(Original post by flymeaway)
How did you all find it? I thought it was much better than the past papers I've seen, and the approaches q on a 'great idea' was a gem - i used operant conditioning.
What did you all think?
xxx
Yeah went much better than I thought it would go! The first question seemed more about methods than issues (what with the questions on qualitative and quantitative data ).The only debate I learnt was nature-nurture and it came up! Lucky me! I wish the approaches question had come up in PYA5 I think I done quite well on that! I did the out of control behaviour question which was relatively straightforward! My methods question was quite unstructured and a bit loopy! But hopefully I have done alright!
Zii
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did question five. Talked about behavioural/SLT, psychodynamic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
15.08%
1 (70)
13.89%
2 (65)
12.9%
20.44%
20.24%
5 (88)
17.46%

Watched Threads