haveanicedayy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Im studying biomedical sciences in September and was wondering which laptop to purchase. I'm thinking about apple- there's a Unidays offer with free beats and £270 off. If i buy it, its going to be £90 montly payments as I can't afford to pay it all at once. But I was wondering if there are any better laptop options with a better price, for example Chromebooks. I don't really get the difference between laptops except for the hype around apple. Any laptop recommendations for uni??
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by haveanicedayy)
Im studying biomedical sciences in September and was wondering which laptop to purchase. I'm thinking about apple- there's a Unidays offer with free beats and £270 off. If i buy it, its going to be £90 montly payments as I can't afford to pay it all at once. But I was wondering if there are any better laptop options with a better price, for example Chromebooks. I don't really get the difference between laptops except for the hype around apple. Any laptop recommendations for uni??
don't sign up to £90 a month payments when you're on a student loan it ll be a struggle, you really don't need a macbook. i've always been a fan of hp laptop's they last well and i've always gotten one between £500-600 and my current one is as fast as it was two years ago and is still going.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Look for other laptops as macs are a waste of money imo. You can easily (maybe for a techie) install a Hackintosh OS on a general laptop.

Choose laptops with these specs for decent performance:
- Intel i5 processor (it's a modern mid-range CPU)
- 2 slots for RAM (this enables dual channeling)
- 16GB max RAM capacity (more RAM = less lag) with stock 8gb RAM
- SSD hard drive (they are atleast 5x faster than a 5400rpm HDD, so all software you have downloaded will load in 2-3 seconds, downloading/transferring things will be quicker as well)
Last edited by Jang Gwangnam; 7 months ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As above, do not get a Mac on a payment plan if it isn't required for your course. Let us know a budget and we can make more reasonable recommendations.
username4902282
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'll be studying Biomedical Sciences too 😁 I currently use a HP, it hasn't failed me yet
Sweety_512
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
Look for other laptops as macs are a waste of money imo. You can easily (maybe for a techie) install a Hackintosh OS on a general laptop.

Choose laptops with these specs for decent performance:
- Intel i5 processor (it's a modern mid-range CPU)
- 2 slots for RAM (this enables dual channeling)
- 16GB max RAM capacity (more RAM = less lag) with stock 8gb RAM
- SSD hard drive (they are atleast 5x faster than a 5400rpm HDD, so all software you have downloaded will load in 2-3 seconds, downloading/transferring things will be quicker as well)
Hiya sorry to jump on.. you've given a lot guidance on what to look for in a laptop. Do you know which laptop in particular have these features? As it's quite alot to take in for someone like me that's doesnt know that much about laptops lol .. I'm trying to find a laptop for uni and come across your post.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sweety_512)
Hiya sorry to jump on.. you've given a lot guidance on what to look for in a laptop. Do you know which laptop in particular have these features? As it's quite alot to take in for someone like me that's doesnt know that much about laptops lol .. I'm trying to find a laptop for uni and come across your post.
This laptop comfortably exceeds the features that Jang Gwangham mentioned:
g[/s]brsAAOSw0qFdSsc3]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProBook-430-G5-13-3inch-Black-Silver-Laptop/254323463691?hash=item3b36dc160b:g:brsAAOSw0qFdSsc3

On that basis, £320 really is the maximum that any logical thinking student should be spending on a Windows laptop for web browsing and typing stuff on. You can spend less than that, going down to £free and still have a laptop that will be fine. Look out for decent deals on ebay, including auctions as well as buy it now deals.

MacBooks are perfectly valid alternatives for anyone that doesn't want to put up with all the annoying aspects of Windows 10. Like Windows updates! Or the ease with which the operating system gets so corrupt it won't boot etc etc etc.
Sweety_512
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
thanks for your reply! I've always been a bit weary of purchasing electricals from Ebay 🙈
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
thanks for your reply! I've always been a bit weary of purchasing electricals from Ebay 🙈
Yh, it doesn't hurt to be cautious. I'd typically say that eBay is a no go zone if you tryna buy electronics. Check on Gumtree or better yet instore at Curry's/Argos for a new laptop - these are typically in better condition then used laptops (however mine wasn't and when I figured out the problems the warranty period had expired which led to me having to do all the technical sh*t myself to fix the manufacturing problems).

The laptop brand this geezer linked is decent but it wouldn't hurt to take my advice and get a new one from a brand like Asus (ROG brand) or Acer (Predator brand) or Dell (Alienware brand), all three brands have a gaming laptop line, so I'd conclude they are the best options for quality and performance in terms of their other laptops. You could always opt for Lenovo as well because they own IBM (and if you've ever had a ThinkPad you'd know the prestige behind IBM).

If you do still decide to buy the Hewlett Packard on eBay than seperately buy a 500GB SSD (from the Crucial brand if you want to buy a budget level SSD). Also buy Windows 10 Pro and install it, as imho its atleast 2x better than Home. You could also install a Linux OS (I can give tips on how to do it) and turn your laptop onto a dual boot (laptop will contain both Windows and Linux OS), tho I must say that's normally a OS that only techies use.

Instead of doing it yourself you could opt for a highstreet laptop shop to do it for you, normally should be ready by next evening.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You can always get a used thinkpad or an acer laptop (they can be good value laptops).

If you are planning to take your laptop with you then I wouldn't really recommend a gaming laptop as they can be very heavy.

Get a laptop with at least 8gb ram and an SSD of preferably 256gb or more and an i5.

You can also get a surface go if you don't mind the keyboard and small storage. They are cheaper for students.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Jang Gwangham, I buy pretty much all of my consumer electronics from ebay. Never had a problem yet. OK smallish sample size (of a total of about 50 major items), but when you pay with paypal on ebay you get a lot of buyer protection. If the item is not fully as described on arrival, you get a full refund. Sellers tend to be keen to maintain a 100% or near 100% positive feedback rating.

I don't know where this perception that ebay is a dodgy place to buy stuff comes from? It's not. And in the case of a laptop it's easy to assess whether it's fully working or not and whether it's in the condition as described or not.

For the people that do use ebay to buy things, it's great if there's a large, false, perception amongst the UK public that it's a dodgy place. As that means that there's less competition to buy and this therefore helps to keep the prices down.

You say it doesn't hurt to be cautious. Actually, in this case it does. It hurts you in the pocket if you buy at Currys instead of off ebay.

A few other things that you said in your post that could do with clarification.

You mentioned buying gaming laptops as "they are the best options for quality and performance". Gaming laptops aren't really laptops. They are mobile workstations. All gaming laptops are big heavy slabby things. They have to be to fit the graphics card in. If you don't play FPS type games and only use the laptop for typing stuff and browsing then no they are not quicker at all than standard business type laptops. They also tend to have worse battery life - due to the power required for the graphics card, including cooling.

Lenovo Thinkpads having prestige because of the IBM link? If they do have prestige it's purely illusory. Lenovo Thinkpads have plasticky cases compared to HP business laptops. Lenovo Thinkpads are not prestige. They are price competitive due to having good internal bits for reasonable prices.

You are advising someone to buy a 500 gb ssd when the laptop in question already has 250 gb ssd fitted. Why? It'd take years for the vast majority of users to fill up a 250 gb hard drive. And in the case of the HP 430 g5, when they do, they can fit an additional internal mechanical 1 tb hard drive and archive their data onto that.

You are also advising them to buy Windows 10 Pro. Why? When you were recommending gaming laptops which almost always come with Windows 10 Home?

High Street shops are, in my experience, relatively poor at doing operating system installs. Too much bloatware and sub-optimum options selected on their installs.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Jang Gwangham, I buy pretty much all of my consumer electronics from ebay. Never had a problem yet. OK smallish sample size (of a total of about 50 major items), but when you pay with paypal on ebay you get a lot of buyer protection. If the item is not fully as described on arrival, you get a full refund. Sellers tend to be keen to maintain a 100% or near 100% positive feedback rating.

I don't know where this perception that ebay is a dodgy place to buy stuff comes from? It's not. And in the case of a laptop it's easy to assess whether it's fully working or not and whether it's in the condition as described or not.

For the people that do use ebay to buy things, it's great if there's a large, false, perception amongst the UK public that it's a dodgy place. As that means that there's less competition to buy and this therefore helps to keep the prices down.

You say it doesn't hurt to be cautious. Actually, in this case it does. It hurts you in the pocket if you buy at Currys instead of off ebay.

A few other things that you said in your post that could do with clarification.

You mentioned buying gaming laptops as "they are the best options for quality and performance". Gaming laptops aren't really laptops. They are mobile workstations. All gaming laptops are big heavy slabby things. They have to be to fit the graphics card in. If you don't play FPS type games and only use the laptop for typing stuff and browsing then no they are not quicker at all than standard business type laptops. They also tend to have worse battery life - due to the power required for the graphics card, including cooling.

Lenovo Thinkpads having prestige because of the IBM link? If they do have prestige it's purely illusory. Lenovo Thinkpads have plasticky cases compared to HP business laptops. Lenovo Thinkpads are not prestige. They are price competitive due to having good internal bits for reasonable prices.

You are advising someone to buy a 500 gb ssd when the laptop in question already has 250 gb ssd fitted. Why? It'd take years for the vast majority of users to fill up a 250 gb hard drive. And in the case of the HP 430 g5, when they do, they can fit an additional internal mechanical 1 tb hard drive and archive their data onto that.

You are also advising them to buy Windows 10 Pro. Why? When you were recommending gaming laptops which almost always come with Windows 10 Home?

High Street shops are, in my experience, relatively poor at doing operating system installs. Too much bloatware and sub-optimum options selected on their installs.
It's great to see someone who's been in the ebay business more than me, I was just talking from relative experience because for starters we don't know the proper origins of the laptops we buy from ebay e.g. could be stolen and mac address would've been changed before sale to avoid any sure fire link in the future, even hardware could've just been salvaged and then resold after cleaning or in the case of GPUs cooking in the oven - you're probably wondering why I know this, it's cause I used to do this myself.

Personally I'm quite well-versed, although I've sold less laptops than you've stated to have bought, I'm quite knowledgable of the procedures. I upgrade my products, format the hard drive and install the OS fresh, clean the laptop and then advertise them in a concise manner with OEM descriptions. High street technicians don't like wasting time so will more likely than not just zoom through the set up, but when compared to a normal not very knowledgable person the techies have got the tools & the experience to get Windows setup fast. I too got a sh*t tonne of pirated software. I've accessed the Blackmarket, I know my way around Linux (I've gone through Ubuntu, Mint & Kali), Hackintosh (had both High Sierra & Mojave) and Window (from XP till the present OS) systems; I got dual boot and have a gaming workstation myself with kitted out hardware. It's not that I'm daft, I had a preference and it was Pro > Home.

I've got nothing against HP either (it's a good brand), instead I was trying to increase awareness of these other equally as good brands which have well-known gaming lines, because to me it shows their position in the industry. I like to araise awareness of the industry, don't just choose a Mac because of MacOS there's better options out there and you can still get MacOS on them. Plus don't just harass IBM out of the blue, back in the early 2000s they were a fab company which Lenovo bought, little bias since I still got my first IBM with it's little sh*tty PATA hard drive, twas a good brand nonetheless.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd also like to add that I too have had success on eBay. I purchased an HP 15-p189na laptop a few months ago, it's absolutely perfect with an intel i5 (4th gen), 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD (yes HDD, I don't see the point of SSDs when they are only 256GB, and yes my main laptop is already at 500GB used). It cost £225 and was in good condition. RAM upgradable, HDD upgradable to SSD if required, it even has an optical drive and the battery is still good. And remember, with eBay, if the item is not as described then you can open a Money Back Guarantee case and get a refund.

A new laptop with Core i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD will cost about £550. It will jump to £650 if you want 512GB storage instead.
For most tasks that university students require, a HDD will still be fine.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
don't sign up to £90 a month payments when you're on a student loan it ll be a struggle, you really don't need a macbook. i've always been a fan of hp laptop's they last well and i've always gotten one between £500-600 and my current one is as fast as it was two years ago and is still going.
HPs are appalling and a disgrace. anyone who recommends them should be banned from giving laptop advice.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
do not get an HP under any circumstance. they are designed to degrade rapidly so you have to buy a new one after a year.

look at Lenovo Ideapad, Dell 5000 2019 and the Acer swift 5.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (159)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my education (164)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
9.49%
Isolating with family (70)
6.92%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (37)
3.66%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (89)
8.79%
Loneliness (100)
9.88%
Financial worries (45)
4.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (92)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (71)
7.02%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (89)
8.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed