The Student Room Group

HELP !!!! apprenticeship or retake alevels

hey so I initially didn't want to go to uni because I am really bad at making friends, I know that no one will fully understand me. And I let that affect me a lot, not having friends got in the way of my alevels , it made me feel depressed, unmotivated, it was emotionally draining, there was not a single week in which I wasn't sad, every one else seems to be doing just fine in the friends department, I tried my hardest to make friends but I just suck . it's a problem I have had my whole life
anyway i got CCCD in alevels in bio,chem, psychology and level 3 mathematical studies. I think seeing other people go to uni makes me feel like I should go even though I know I am going to be depressed. i wanted to study biomedical science or pharmacy . I found an apprenticeship for pharmacy assistant at an Nhs hospital. idk what to do. should i retake my alevels so i can go to a better uni? even though I'm not 100% sure that I will end up up going. if I did end up retaking I don't know if I can make an actual difference to my results, I hardly ever got C in sixth form but some how I did on results day so idk if my results are due to chance.

idk if I'll regret not retaking in the future, I just don't know anything. I am on my gap year now doing a job in retail. I could go to lower end unis but most people recommend retaking and not to do that .
the apprenticeship opportunity is some thing I could see myself doing , not to mention they said I have a chance of having a permanent role or higher level apprenticeship.
sorry that I am an actual mess
Reply 1
I think you should apply for the apprenticeship. Universities won't be disappearing anytime soon so it will also be an option if you become certain you want to go to university. There is no point going to university yet if you are unsure of it or feel like it will affect ur mental health negatively. Also to make friends you just have to learn to put yourself out there and find people you have things in common with, maybe getting into different activities like volunteering or going to a sports club will help you meet new people. Just cause you didn't connect with people in your sixth form doesn't mean there is no hope for you.
Original post by Routeri
I think you should apply for the apprenticeship. Universities won't be disappearing anytime soon so it will also be an option if you become certain you want to go to university. There is no point going to university yet if you are unsure of it or feel like it will affect ur mental health negatively. Also to make friends you just have to learn to put yourself out there and find people you have things in common with, maybe getting into different activities like volunteering or going to a sports club will help you meet new people. Just cause you didn't connect with people in your sixth form doesn't mean there is no hope for you.

even at work I cannot connect with anyone, I talk to them but I know that I will never be their close friend. At this point I have accepted it. Maybe it is just who I am. The reason I worried about if I should retake now is because I don't want to be 20 and be retaking my alevels if the apprenticeship doesn't work out. I think I am going to go for the apprenticeship, it's what I have always said to my self. hopefully it works out for me and I get accepted
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate it
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by idiotsandwich5
even at work I cannot connect with anyone, I talk to them but I know that I will never be their close friend. At this point I have accepted it. Maybe it is just who I am. The reason I worried about if I should retake now is because I don't want to be 20 and be retaking my alevels if the apprenticeship doesn't work out. I think I am going to go for the apprenticeship, it's what I have always said to my self. hopefully it works out for me and I get accepted
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate it

I'm pretty sure it's not just how you are. I understand your feelings of not feeling like you could be close friends with them but close friendships take time to form. It's about patiences, etc. Plus if you are able to identify your personality traits which make it hard to make friends, you can approach situations differently to help yourself.

There are alternate routes you can take as a mature student like Access To HE, etc. So you wouldn't necessarily have to retake A levels to get into university.
Original post by Routeri
I'm pretty sure it's not just how you are. I understand your feelings of not feeling like you could be close friends with them but close friendships take time to form. It's about patiences, etc. Plus if you are able to identify your personality traits which make it hard to make friends, you can approach situations differently to help yourself.

There are alternate routes you can take as a mature student like Access To HE, etc. So you wouldn't necessarily have to retake A levels to get into university.

I do have 2 friends from school but I think the only reason we bonded is because we are from the same country and in the same place. I have never been close friends with anyone not from my home country, I'm not racist or anything. Maybe personality is too boring and I don't really have anything interesting to say. Anyways even though I say accept that 'it's just who I am' to me it's just means that I'm okay if I don't have friends and I dont beat my self up for it . I am obviously still going to try and put effort in making friends but if I don't end up being close friends with them it's okay.

I only know kings college who accepts access course to HE. qmul, st George's university, they don't accept access courses.
I have also seen universities mention 'We will consider your application if you are re-sitting your A levels (including AS levels and modular resits) over 3 years' idk what that means, does that mean I have to resit within 3 years of my alevels or just that I can only resit 3 times .
Reply 5
I do have 2 friends from school but I think the only reason we bonded is because we are from the same country and in the same place. I have never been close friends with anyone not from my home country, I'm not racist or anything. Maybe personality is too boring and I don't really have anything interesting to say. Anyways even though I say accept that 'it's just who I am' to me it's just means that I'm okay if I don't have friends and I dont beat my self up for it . I am obviously still going to try and put effort in making friends but if I don't end up being close friends with them it's okay.

I only know kings college who accepts access course to HE. qmul, st George's university, they don't accept access courses.
I have also seen universities mention 'We will consider your application if you are re-sitting your A levels (including AS levels and modular resits) over 3 years' idk what that means, does that mean I have to resit within 3 years of my alevels or just that I can only resit 3 times

Oh that's interesting but I understand. Maybe you need to go out more and experience new things so you have stories to share. It's possible to make a boring topic seem interesting.

Maybe email or call the universities and ask them to explain their resit policy.
Original post by Routeri
Oh that's interesting but I understand. Maybe you need to go out more and experience new things so you have stories to share. It's possible to make a boring topic seem interesting.

Maybe email or call the universities and ask them to explain their resit policy.

I haven't really travelled out of the country but I am at the end of December. thank you
Reply 7
I haven't really travelled out of the country but I am at the end of December. thank you

You're welcome

Quick Reply

Latest