The Student Room Group

When you are writing a thesis/dissertation...

and you read a review article, do you reference the review article or do you reference the original article that the information came from?
I am thinking that you have to reference the original article the information came from even though you used the review article to get this info?
Original post by FutureMedic97
and you read a review article, do you reference the review article or do you reference the original article that the information came from?
I am thinking that you have to reference the original article the information came from even though you used the review article to get this info?

Can't reference something you haven't read. Try and find the original article. If you can't find it or it's too old then secondary reference.
Original post by FutureMedic97

You should always endeavour to find and read the original article (i.e. the primary reference, as opposed to the review article, which is a secondary reference). Never reference an article you haven't actually read, as a short write-up in a review paper isn't enough - the latter may have interpreted the original's findings to fit their argument, rather than subjectively stating its content.

If you genuinely can't access the original article (either because it's behind a pay wall or is very old), then using the secondary reference - the review article - is acceptable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending