?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Message me if you use a railcard thankssss
HertsExRep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hujikolp, not sure if this helps but some banks offer free Railcards to students who open Student Bank Accounts. You can view the benefits of various Student Accounts here. I believe Santander is giving away a 4 year Railcard this year :eek:
UnclePete
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Herts UG Student Rep)
hujikolp, not sure if this helps but some banks offer free Railcards to students who open Student Bank Accounts. You can view the benefits of various Student Accounts here. I believe Santander is giving away a 4 year Railcard this year :eek:
Adding to UG Student Rep Tom`s answer, if I may, to the best of my knowledge Santander still provide the Young Persons` Rail Card www.16-25railcard.co.uk/ which is free - well, almost -as you have to bank with them during its validity period and have a certain minimum amount of credit/debit against your account. I`m not sure if the four years mentioned is for a three year card and then continue on banking with Santander for a year afterwards, or if they have their own four year student version of the card. You can check this out yourselves online or calling in at the UH Santander branch situated in The Hutton Hub. The 16-25 card gives you as do most of the rail cards one third off fares, and additionally also includes peak hours ( but not season tickets) which the other rail cards don`t.

Another one worth a look at is the Network Card, this covers (clockwise, roughly) from Worcester in the West Midlands to Bedford and Huntingdon north of St. Albans/ Hatfield, to Kings Lynn in East Anglia, and from The Isle Of Thanet in East Kent to Weymouth and Exeter in the South West, with the advantage of letting you take three other adults with you at the same discount and children who are not card holders - but a minimum discounted fare applies Mon.- Fri. and it cannot be used during Mon.- Fri. peak hours ( it was, but savvy commuters were using it to reduce the cost of the commute, and with the silly cost of most rail fares who could blame them, until the rail operators latched on and stopped it. )

Another recently introduced card is the 26-30 one which is also worth perusing.

It`s horses for courses : You can check out for yourself by going to www.railcard.co.uk/
and see which one ticks your boxes. I myself have recently acquired, dare I say it, erm, err, a Senior one which I use a lot for off peak travel, it`s already paid for itself this year - if you can it`s best to buy your card online for three years which is the cheapest way of doing so, rather than over the counter at the station for one year.

I`ve written before on this site about rail cards and also split ticketing which, by doing your homework before travel by buying two or more tickets for the same journey, it can reduce the cost considerably.

Please go to my article of 25 Nov 2018 " Use of UNO 602 Buses Hatfield Station- Business Park " ( now on page 3) in which I additionally give full details and links of the various rail ticketing sites to visit.

Also please be aware as I have mentioned of before and recently on this site, ( scroll down to see) about the major upgrading work taking place at London King`s Cross and other places this coming bank holiday weekend which affects travel from Hatfield. Go to www.eastcoastupgrade.co.uk for definitive details. I think there will be a reduced local service back on Monday, but check before travel.

I would suggest if you do want to use the train rather than substitute coaches Hatfield- KX and back then go from St. Albans which as far as I know has a normal service - but keep in mind many others who normally use the King`s Cross line will be doing the same and on Sunday and bank holiday Monday evening buses to and from St. Alb.are not exactly every five minutes...... again check out before venturing. UNO 602, 653, from Roberts Way and both campuses, Arriva 301 and Greenline limited stop 724 from The Galleria and Ellenbrook Lane ( two-three minutes walk from de Hav) cover the ground. I myself will be using the train on Sat. from St. Albans to London St. Pancras and then Ashford International in Kent, to visit relatives nearby and my beloved world famous Romney, Hythe And Dymchurch minature railway " Kent`s Main Line In Minature " - engineering students who are interested check out on www.rhdr.org.uk/

There is a rail travel phone line open 24/7 which is very useful :
03457 484950

Just to repeat and recap what I have posted earlier at various times :
The Oyster Card is not as yet valid to Hatfield/ St. Albans. Limit of use is Hadley Wood on the KX- Hatfield route, Elstree & Borehamwood on the St. Pancras- St Albans one. It is, however, valid to Hertford East on the London Liverpool St. route and I believe recently to Hertford North from KX.

Hope this helppppps !

Comments welcome.
Last edited by UnclePete; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads