Is AAAB a good enough grade in AS level (CIE) for med school if I'm bad at the UCAT? Watch

sbaboenerd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i got a grade of AAAAB in my AS levels, and was pretty happy about it. and im expecting at least 1 A* and 2 As by the end of next year. But unfortunately i find myself doing below average in the ucat mostly due to time constraints, cuz im pretty good at the untimed practices. If anyone knows if good A level scores can make up for a bad UCAT score, or ways in which i can get better at timed, i'd love to get some tips. (ik, ik - practice. but i do practice and if i get a rly low score i get discouraged and move on from doing the UCAT) And yea, kinda urgent cuz i have less than 4 weeks left to do my UCAT plus i have school now as well
Last edited by sbaboenerd; 1 month ago
BeccaFarrugia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sbaboenerd)
so i got a grade of AAAB in my AS levels, and was pretty happy about it. and im expecting at least 1 A* and 2 As by the end of next year. But unfortunately i find myself doing below average in the ucat mostly due to time constraints, cuz im pretty good at the untimed practices. If anyone knows if good A level scores can make up for a bad UCAT score, or ways in which i can get better at timed, i'd love to get some tips. (ik, ik - practice. but i do practice and if i get a rly low score i get discouraged and move on from doing the UCAT) And yea, kinda urgent cuz i have less than 4 weeks left to do my UCAT plus i have school now as well
Your AS level results are really good. I would suggest making the rest of your application as good as possible, especially your personal statement, if you feel that your UKCAT score will let you down. But don’t be discouraged because you still have time to improve your scores, especially by doing as many timed practices as you can because that will help to alleviate anxiety on the day of the test. But no matter what you get, once you have your score check on each uni’s website to get a rough idea of what their cut off is as some are much lower than others - I think Keele definitely have a low cut off below 600.
sbaboenerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by BeccaFarrugia)
Your AS level results are really good. I would suggest making the rest of your application as good as possible, especially your personal statement, if you feel that your UKCAT score will let you down. But don’t be discouraged because you still have time to improve your scores, especially by doing as many timed practices as you can because that will help to alleviate anxiety on the day of the test. But no matter what you get, once you have your score check on each uni’s website to get a rough idea of what their cut off is as some are much lower than others - I think Keele definitely have a low cut off below 600.
thxx that was reassuring. And thx for the tip abt Keele, very useful.
sbaboenerd
Rep:
?
thxx that was reassuring. And thx for the tip abt Keele, very useful.
(Original post by BeccaFarrugia)
oh oops i just checked the keele website and apparently they need me to do the BMAT and UCAT is just used for borderline cases, and im not doing the bmat sadly.
BeccaFarrugia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh oops i just checked the keele website and apparently they need me to do the BMAT and UCAT is just used for borderline cases, and im not doing the bmat sadly.
Oh I didn’t realise that was the case, but I’m pretty sure there are other places that you will be able to apply to. All you can do is try
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so i got a grade of AAAAB in my AS levels, and was pretty happy about it. and im expecting at least 1 A* and 2 As by the end of next year. But unfortunately i find myself doing below average in the ucat mostly due to time constraints, cuz im pretty good at the untimed practices. If anyone knows if good A level scores can make up for a bad UCAT score, or ways in which i can get better at timed, i'd love to get some tips. (ik, ik - practice. but i do practice and if i get a rly low score i get discouraged and move on from doing the UCAT) And yea, kinda urgent cuz i have less than 4 weeks left to do my UCAT plus i have school now as well
A bit depends on your GCSEs. Cardiff do not look at UCAT but need 8A*s at GCSE for an interview usually
Aberdeen, Dundee, Barts, Edinburgh and Exeter still use A levels in selection for interview but they also use UCAT +/- GCSEs so it depends on other stats
Plymouth accept lower UCAT scores but admission criteria often vary for international students, so it is best to come back when you have your UCAT result
sbaboenerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
A bit depends on your GCSEs. Cardiff do not look at UCAT but need 8A*s at GCSE for an interview usually
Aberdeen, Dundee, Barts, Edinburgh and Exeter still use A levels in selection for interview but they also use UCAT +/- GCSEs so it depends on other stats
Plymouth accept lower UCAT scores but admission criteria often vary for international students, so it is best to come back when you have your UCAT result
Ah ok i see. i only have 4 A*s tho :-/ cuz we moved a lot that year and the school i ended up in didnt have support for more than 6 subjects. it was pretty bad sigh. but i can get good a level grades, and like an average UCAT grade, plus i have like volunteering and observing in a hospital exposure, so maybe that counts toward something.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah ok i see. i only have 4 A*s tho :-/ cuz we moved a lot that year and the school i ended up in didnt have support for more than 6 subjects. it was pretty bad sigh. but i can get good a level grades, and like an average UCAT grade, plus i have like volunteering and observing in a hospital exposure, so maybe that counts toward something.
When you have your UCAT and predictions, post your stats on the megathread and somebody will hopefully offer advice. Good luck!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
When you have your UCAT and predictions, post your stats on the megathread and somebody will hopefully offer advice. Good luck!
And OP. when you have your stats please post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5622970 instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (100)
68.49%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.49%
Yes but I might change my mind (19)
13.01%

Watched Threads