Uni Clearing decision - Warwick or Bristol Watch

anon39393
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied to study History at the Uni of Bristol but missed my offer and decided to accept to study Classics there instead. However, I called the Uni of Warwick History and was offered a place for History through clearing as well. Right now I am unsure which route to take, study Classics at a Uni i love and is great but study a course which is alright and decent or do I study at another great uni that I am not too keen on with student and night life and the campus setting and study the History course which has alright/decent modules (imo)? I've thought about trying to transfer my course to History once I get to Bristol but realise that its a big gamble and that i could be denied automatically. Lol i need some advice please
Last edited by anon39393; 1 month ago
hi2u_uk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
id go to bristol , warwick uni has been hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons due to their rape chat scandal so im not overly impressed by it
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go back to basics - look carefully at the units available in all three years of each course. Which ones would you choose? Look also at any study abroad opportunities, or other extras like units in other subjects etc.

Its the course you study for three years - not the Uni. Make sure its what you want.
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I read in your question, my suspicion is you would be better off reading Classics at Bristol.

Even though it isn't your preferred degree, at the end of the day what will count in the eyes of future employers is how well you have applied yourself to your university studies. There are also many historical units available to you as part of a Classics degree.

You like Bristol, so go there. If want to concentrate on historical studies later, you could always do a masters. You're clearly not well enamored with the thought of living in Coventry, so ask yourself if it's worth going there to do the subject you most want?

This quote is attributed to Confucius (and there are ancient Greek parallels!):

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Warwick, history.

Warwick is more favoured by employers
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nununu)
Warwick, history.

Warwick is more favoured by employers
That's irrelevant, and OP should not focus on that

OP - it's clear you prefer Bristol, and that's what you should focus on. Which uni would you feel most comfortable at, and which one would you be happiest at? You can always have a look at modules offered, and see if you can transfer to History in your second year, if the uni allows. Or, you could go on and do further postgraduate study on history. From the way you write, the history course isn't ideal for you at Warwick, and so you'd be at a uni you didn't want to go to, studying a course you don't like, as opposed to Bristol. If you have a look at the course and do some research, it may be more history based than you think?
Or, if not - would you be able to take a year out, gain more experience and possibly resit the A-Level you missed (however, as you were offered a place at Warwick I highly doubt this is needed!), or perhaps gain another qualification to strengthen your application? And then re-apply, perhaps looking into new courses that you would be offered with your grades, and finding a course (and uni) that is the best fit for you? Now you have your grades, it is a lot easier to find courses you will get on to, and then you can find the best one for you
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nununu)
Warwick, history. Warwick is more favoured by employers
They aren't - but so what if they were? That doesn't guarantee you'll enjoy the course does it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest