A level VS coding dilemma. Watch

lewis.h
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I’m have two weeks left until I start my a levels. These are something I have wanted to do extremely well in since year 8 and have dedicated myself to academia since then to become academically sufficient at attaining such success.

Yet, over the last 10 weeks, I have been trying to develop new skills, one being programming.

With only 2 weeks left, I feel that this is not nearly enough time to learn how to code to a level where I can make basic smartphone games, and I feel that my efforts would be futile at trying to learn how to code games in this time, more so it will be a waste of the valuable recreational time to do that before I begin my A levels.

Coding during a levels is not something I would consider either - the amount of work would be astonishing of a levels, let alone learning how to program which people go uni for (on top of the a levels).

So, what should I do ?

Thanks and love you all <3 .
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lewis.h)
Hi guys,

I’m have two weeks left until I start my a levels. These are something I have wanted to do extremely well in since year 8 and have dedicated myself to academia since then to become academically sufficient at attaining such success.

Yet, over the last 10 weeks, I have been trying to develop new skills, one being programming.

With only 2 weeks left, I feel that this is not nearly enough time to learn how to code to a level where I can make basic smartphone games, and I feel that my efforts would be futile at trying to learn how to code games in this time, more so it will be a waste of the valuable recreational time to do that before I begin my A levels.

Coding during a levels is not something I would consider either - the amount of work would be astonishing of a levels, let alone learning how to program which people go uni for (on top of the a levels).

So, what should I do ?

Do an A Level in Computing????
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Do an A Level in Computing????
The thing is Tom, I’ve wanted to go into medical school for years, so need to do maths bio and chem which are like the 3 hardest A levels, plus I’m running a YT channel so I think 4 A levels would be too much.

I don’t think I’m inherently passionate about coding , in fact I find it quite monotonous particularly because it takes years to be able to make programs that look modern and savy, as opposed to looking like they’re from the 1990s. I only really plan on learning coding because it would be invaluable if I become an entrepreneur.
Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The thing is Tom, I’ve wanted to go into medical school for years, so need to do maths bio and chem which are like the 3 hardest A levels, plus I’m running a YT channel so I think 4 A levels would be too much.

I don’t think I’m inherently passionate about coding , in fact I find it quite monotonous particularly because it takes years to be able to make programs that look modern and savy, as opposed to looking like they’re from the 1990s. I only really plan on learning coding because it would be invaluable if I become an entrepreneur.
Even with A levels and a YouTube channel, you will have free time and it will be good to have a hobby. I probably had about 2-4 hours free every night for most of year 12, once I'd done homework/extra revision (I did most of my extra work at weekends during the start of A levels), so you may as well use that time to learn new skills.
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Even with A levels and a YouTube channel, you will have free time and it will be good to have a hobby. I probably had about 2-4 hours free every night for most of year 12, once I'd done homework/extra revision (I did most of my extra work at weekends during the start of A levels), so you may as well use that time to learn new skills.
I guess. Do you think it’s possible to get by without skills in programming in the next 20 / 30 years ?
Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I guess. Do you think it’s possible to get by without skills in programming in the next 20 / 30 years ?
I think it's going to be a more and more useful skill to have, but of course you'll be able to get by without it. Definitely don't give up on learning in your free time though, it may be slower progress with A levels to focus on but it'll get there eventually.
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I think it's going to be a more and more useful skill to have, but of course you'll be able to get by without it. Definitely don't give up on learning in your free time though, it may be slower progress with A levels to focus on but it'll get there eventually.
Coding seems so daunting. I’ve completed the Mike Dane Python beginners course. I understood 90% of the course, except for inheritance when he makes a multiple choice quiz.

I have looked at coding to make games via C# on unity. C# is a bit, I mean, a LOT different and by different I mean bloody harder than python. It seems like to get to a level that’s worthy of people paying for you to code programs for them requires one to study coding so deeply that they have to go to university ? Is this true ?
PrazzPrazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey there so I'm about to go into my second year of sixth form before going into uni hopefully! I, am exactly in you're position, so to be a medic, same ditto, maths chem and biology great combination dedicate your time wisely. it is hard. in the beginning. very. each subject will bring out new information so it is a lot of work also preparation for UCAT, UCAS statement this takes a lot of your holiday and work experience in at least 3 /4 places in health environment. you will also need to spend a great time on researching your uni choices, insurance choice, its harder than its portrayed. i was on the borderline of doing 4 subjects i probably would have done psychology as its intriguing but in my skl u need an APS in gcses of 8.0 my APS was 7.8, first i was a bit sad as i thought 4 a levels would give me a spectra of choices but now i regret it less as i know the workload is stressful.I am also into coding, programming, nanotechnology and there is a great tie into this in medicine, especially in the field of artificial intelligence and all. I suggest you use this as a hobby as of now and use a platform such as future learn to gain few qualifications note: some are not free. i am currently doing one in Bacterial Genomes: Disease Outbreaks and Antimicrobial Resistance. they give you a heads up to things you will come across in uni, so right now use coding as a hobby. if your looking to be an entrepreneur, i want to own my own practice, i suggest joining YE at your school or elsewhere? this may give you the opportunity to do a role computer/ technologically related. there are also unis giving out short courses which i plan to enrol in part time during medical school https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses...rses/computing
LinaHearts
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,

So, what should I do ?

Check if your sixth form/college has a coding club. For example in my college it was compulsory to pick an enrichment and coding was an option. Maybe you have something similar?
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrazzPrazz)
Hey there so I'm about to go into my second year of sixth form before going into uni hopefully! I, am exactly in you're position, so to be a medic, same ditto, maths chem and biology great combination dedicate your time wisely. it is hard. in the beginning. very. each subject will bring out new information so it is a lot of work also preparation for UCAT, UCAS statement this takes a lot of your holiday and work experience in at least 3 /4 places in health environment. you will also need to spend a great time on researching your uni choices, insurance choice, its harder than its portrayed. i was on the borderline of doing 4 subjects i probably would have done psychology as its intriguing but in my skl u need an APS in gcses of 8.0 my APS was 7.8, first i was a bit sad as i thought 4 a levels would give me a spectra of choices but now i regret it less as i know the workload is stressful.I am also into coding, programming, nanotechnology and there is a great tie into this in medicine, especially in the field of artificial intelligence and all. I suggest you use this as a hobby as of now and use a platform such as future learn to gain few qualifications note: some are not free. i am currently doing one in Bacterial Genomes: Disease Outbreaks and Antimicrobial Resistance. they give you a heads up to things you will come across in uni, so right now use coding as a hobby. if your looking to be an entrepreneur, i want to own my own practice, i suggest joining YE at your school or elsewhere? this may give you the opportunity to do a role computer/ technologically related. there are also unis giving out short courses which i plan to enrol in part time during medical school https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses...rses/computing
This was SO helpful !! I thank you greatly for doing this. What a very generous person you must be.

Don’t most professional coders go to university and do it as a 4 year degree, like as something which you have to study intensely for 4 years to excel at, not something you can juggle on the side lightly with A levels ?

BTW it is AMAZING how motivated you are to do that. I respect you so much for that.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Fair.

It doesn't take years though.

This was SO helpful !! I thank you greatly for doing this. What a very generous person you must be.

Don’t most professional coders go to university and do it as a 4 year degree, like as something which you have to study intensely for 4 years to excel at, not something you can juggle on the side lightly with A levels ?

BTW it is AMAZING how motivated you are to do that. I respect you so much for that.
Not really. A lot of software developers don't have a degree.
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Yeah many courses for the full degree is quite a long time, its your choice though. we are a lucky generation whereby we dont require face to face to learn coding as we have a digital platform at our hands.

Thank you, i have a mass amount of respect too. its great that you're thinking about your a levels and future now, thats AMAZING and please stay motivated, i let things get to me. Im not going to go into professional coding personally, i looked more into the short courses and decided to pan out:

5 years undergraduate medicine , during my second year do a nanotechnology medicine level 2 course and then one year postgraduate in translational cancer medicine part time whilst doing my medical training. Feel free to message me anytime for advice and insight into the subjects and applying ill be more than happy to!
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Fair.

It doesn't take years though.

Not really. A lot of software developers don't have a degree.
But do they take programming as a full time or part time (side hobby) commitment ?
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrazzPrazz)
Yeah many courses for the full degree is quite a long time, its your choice though. we are a lucky generation whereby we dont require face to face to learn coding as we have a digital platform at our hands.

Thank you, i have a mass amount of respect too. its great that you're thinking about your a levels and future now, thats AMAZING and please stay motivated, i let things get to me. Im not going to go into professional coding personally, i looked more into the short courses and decided to pan out:

5 years undergraduate medicine , during my second year do a nanotechnology medicine level 2 course and then one year postgraduate in translational cancer medicine part time whilst doing my medical training. Feel free to message me anytime for advice and insight into the subjects and applying ill be more than happy to!
Are there many entrepreneurial opportunities in nanotechnology ?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But do they take programming as a full time or part time (side hobby) commitment ?
Probably
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are there many entrepreneurial opportunities in nanotechnology ?
probably yes, im not going to a degree in nanotechnology in medicine, i think thats 4 years and is postgrad? im just going to do a 2 month summer cours granting a level 2 award as well as skills and knowledge for my actual undergraduate and postgrad degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads