Can I be accepted into oxford even if I haven't taken my 3 alevels in the same year?

Watch
rawanmamdouh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm going to be a senior in 2020 in year 13 and I really want to get into oxford to study medicine. The problem is: I was planning to enroll into uni in my home country (Egypt), where they only require 8 olevels and 1 Alevel as per the cambridge IGCSE qualifications. Thus, I have completed these subjects accordingly and have acquired all A star grades with a distinction ( top in the world ranking) in Maths olevel. If taking the 2 more alevels in the upcoming june session would not compromise my chance at getting a place, I don't mind taking them. So to everyone reading this, please tell me If they'd consider my apllication now with these subjects and give me a conditional offer. I'm really worried because I haven't taken the alevels in the same year, so I really do need reassurance.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rawanmamdouh)
I'm going to be a senior in 2020 in year 13 and I really want to get into oxford to study medicine. The problem is: I was planning to enroll into uni in my home country (Egypt), where they only require 8 olevels and 1 Alevel as per the cambridge IGCSE qualifications. Thus, I have completed these subjects accordingly and have acquired all A star grades with a distinction ( top in the world ranking) in Maths olevel. If taking the 2 more alevels in the upcoming june session would not compromise my chance at getting a place, I don't mind taking them. So to everyone reading this, please tell me If they'd consider my apllication now with these subjects and give me a conditional offer. I'm really worried because I haven't taken the alevels in the same year, so I really do need reassurance.
This comes from https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

Medicine

Conditional offers for students applying to study Medicine are usually A*AA in three A-levels which must be completed in the same academic year. Neither Critical Thinking or General Studies are accepted towards meeting this requirement.

Applicants for Medicine are very welcome to take one or more of their A-levels early, and their grades will be taken into account along with all other aspects of their application. They will still need to study a further three A-levels (or equivalent qualifications) in their final year at school or college in order to meet Oxford’s entrance requirements, and must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course in Oxford. Any conditional offer will be based upon these final three grades.
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
So I need to take 3

(Original post by RichE)
This comes from https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

Medicine

Conditional offers for students applying to study Medicine are usually A*AA in three A-levels which must be completed in the same academic year. Neither Critical Thinking or General Studies are accepted towards meeting this requirement.

Applicants for Medicine are very welcome to take one or more of their A-levels early, and their grades will be taken into account along with all other aspects of their application. They will still need to study a further three A-levels (or equivalent qualifications) in their final year at school or college in order to meet Oxford’s entrance requirements, and must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course in Oxford. Any conditional offer will be based upon these final three grades.
So you're saying I still need to take 3 more alevels eventhough I have already taken one (biology)? Or do you mean that it's fine but I still need to take 2 more alevels ? Please I need a quick reply
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Oxford uni forum
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I need to take 3

So you're saying I still need to take 3 more alevels eventhough I have already taken one (biology)? Or do you mean that it's fine but I still need to take 2 more alevels ? Please I need a quick reply
You need to take 3 in the same year, so you'd need to do 3 more. That seems like quite a high workload for 1 year, could you possibly redo year 12 and do two years of A levels like most people will?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
According to their websites, all qualifications taken to use in application must be taken in the same academic year, so likely no.
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
I'm going to be a senior in 2020 in year 13 and I really want to get into oxford to study medicine. The problem is: I was planning to enroll into uni in my home country (Egypt), where they only require 8 olevels and 1 Alevel as per the cambridge IGCSE qualifications. Thus, I have completed these subjects accordingly and have acquired all A star grades with a distinction ( top in the world ranking) in Maths olevel.

I've contacted oxford and they want to me to take 3 more alevels ( maths, chemistry, physics) , but they haven't answered me whether they want me to take all of them in year 13 or they need me to take a gap year and take them over 2 years?
Also do you think taking 3 full Alevels in year 13 seems possible?especially because I need the grades A*AA for an offer
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
I'm going to be a senior in 2020 in year 13 and I really want to get into oxford to study medicine. The problem is: I was planning to enroll into uni in my home country (Egypt), where they only require 8 olevels and 1 Alevel as per the cambridge IGCSE qualifications. Thus, I have completed these subjects accordingly and have acquired all A star grades with a distinction ( top in the world ranking) in Maths olevel.

I've contacted oxford and they want to me to take 3 more alevels ( maths, chemistry, physics) , but they haven't answered me whether they want me to take all of them in year 13 or they need me to take a gap year and take them over 2 years?
Also do you think taking 3 full Alevels in year 13 seems possible?especially because I need the grades A*AA for an offer
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hola rawanmamdouh,

Could you say who you contacted and how long you have been waiting? Our advice is to email [email protected] with a query like this.

Brasenose admissions
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola rawanmamdouh,

Could you say who you contacted and how long you have been waiting? Our advice is to email [email protected] with a query like this.

Brasenose admissions
I contacted the email above exactly and they've commented on me taking 3 Alevels positively, but have not answered my query on when to take them. I asked both of these questions together and I got only an answer to one question. Hope someone could help me because I'm trying to plan the 3 Alevels, which seems impossible to do. However I don't wanna give up and I would like to do everything there is for my application to be considered. A few months back I wouldn't even dream of applying to oxford thinking only extremely brilliant people get in. Nonetheless, after having seen so many normal average people apply and get in, I was finally motivated to work for it.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you do end up taking the A-Levels, i would recommend you consider the following:

1. BMAT: You'll need good scores on all the sections, and i'm not sure whether Oxford still use the GCSE/ O-Level A* grades % (So the percentage of A*s) and balance it against BMAT scores. Have a look at some of the applicants on the threads and the percentage they had, and check if this is still the case. I know a lot of people who applied with 50% A*s which will not be successful. You need a high percentage.

2. Solid revision is needed for the BMAT exam, which i believe may be in November but i don't know how that would work for internationals.

3. You'll be applying as an international student and competing with internationals, so competition is there.

Medicine anywhere in the UK and many other EU countries will be good. I wouldn't look at the brand name itself and place everything just on that.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I contacted the email above exactly and they've commented on me taking 3 Alevels positively, but have not answered my query on when to take them. I asked both of these questions together and I got only an answer to one question. Hope someone could help me because I'm trying to plan the 3 Alevels, which seems impossible to do. However I don't wanna give up and I would like to do everything there is for my application to be considered. A few months back I wouldn't even dream of applying to oxford thinking only extremely brilliant people get in. Nonetheless, after having seen so many normal average people apply and get in, I was finally motivated to work for it.
Many thanks for this further information.

It seems to us that you and your supporters are best placed to evaluate whether you can achieve the required grades in one or two years. If two years are required, you would need to apply for deferred entry or after your first year of A-levels. We don't think that the Medicine Department can realistically be expected to advise on the study schedule.

More generally, we would agree that prospective applicants tend to over-estimate the abilities of other candidates (ie assume they are brilliant) and underestimate their own abilities. Gaining a place is challenging but not impossible - candidates must, however, be able to achieve the entry requirement as well as performing well enough in the admissions process to gain a conditional offer.
Last edited by BrasenoseAdm; 1 year ago
National Extension College
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Three A levels in a year is definitely possible. We offer Fast Track A levels that allow you to study in a year in either structured or in a more flexible way. As these are online distance learning courses, you would have to find an exam centre where you are, or travel to the UK just for your exams. If you want to talk further, feel free to message me on TSR, email [email protected] or visit our Fast Track page on the website (https://www.nec.ac.uk/fast-track/) for more information.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You can take them over 2 years if you want. That is what everyone else does.

Taking 3 in one year would be tough, especially given you need A*AA minimum.
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
You can take them over 2 years if you want. That is what everyone else does.

Taking 3 in one year would be tough, especially given you need A*AA minimum.
I really don't want to take a gap year, so I was thinking I could enroll for the first year in uni and continue my alevels over year 13 and first year of uni . Then I could apply to oxford next year to begin my course from the first year. It's just that my parents are really against me taking a gap year
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really don't want to take a gap year, so I was thinking I could enroll for the first year in uni and continue my alevels over year 13 and first year of uni . Then I could apply to oxford next year to begin my course from the first year. It's just that my parents are really against me taking a gap year
Being in full time education doing your A-levels is not a "gap year".

You'd be spending £9,250, or vastly more if an international student, which I guess you would be, to do just 1 year of a degree that will subsequently be completely useless if you get into Oxford?

Besides: Oxford doesn't like people applying when they are enrolled at another uni.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Wtf did i just read :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads