dvbuosnklmkoi888
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Are they? I dont think they are but i may be wrong. Also are'nt ophthalmologists eye doctors, and what surgeries can an optometrists perform
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dvbuosnklmkoi888)
Are they? I dont think they are but i may be wrong. Also are'nt ophthalmologists eye doctors, and what surgeries can an optometrists perform
Optometrists are not eye doctors. They are the ones fitting you with glasses and performing eye health checks. I have worked with optometrists who perform more intense procedures in hospital but they are few and far between
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ophthalmologists are "eye-health-doctors", they preform surgeries and procedures concerning eye health.
Optometrists are "vision doctors", they fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and they work more on your eyesight and not the health of the eye itself.
Nuttyy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
Ophthalmologists are "eye-health-doctors", they preform surgeries and procedures concerning eye health.
Optometrists are "vision doctors", they fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and they work more on your eyesight and not the health of the eye itself.
That's wrong, optometrists are trained enough to diagnose illnesses of the eye. They don't just correct vision, for eg, my brother (an optom) has diagnosed papilloedema, retinal tears, tumours etc. They have sufficient knowledge to spot illnesses and refer them to the correct doctor or hospitals.

People come to an optom when they have sore eyes, headaches etc. Their job consists more than just "Is it better with, or without". 😂
Last edited by Nuttyy; 2 months ago
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nuttyy)
That's wrong, optometrists are trained enough to diagnose illnesses of the eye. They don't just correct vision, for eg, my brother (an optom) has diagnosed papilloedema, retinal tears, tumours etc. They have sufficient knowledge to spot illnesses and refer them to the correct doctor or hospitals.
I said work more, while they are trained enough to diagnose eye health conditions they are not qualified to treat them or preform eye surgeries.
I'm an optometrist too.
Nuttyy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
I said work more, while they are trained enough to diagnose eye health conditions they are not qualified to treat them or preform eye surgeries.
I'm an optometrist too.
Can't argue with that haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.71%
No (156)
74.29%

Watched Threads