Does anyone regret not applying to Oxford/Cambridge? Watch

fatdogmendoza
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When I applied to uni last year I didn't even consider Oxbridge because I thought I was too stupid to even get an interview, but now after having got my results (A*A*A) I've exceeded Oxford's base requirements for the course I want to do and although I'm very happy with my firm choice, and I definitely do know that my grades don't guarantee I'd even be invited to interview, I do wish I'd given it a shot just in case. Does anyone else feel this way?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had friends who attended both Oxford (Wadham & University colleges) and Cambridge (St. Johns), I stayed with them in total for around a month, and they were nice really places, towns, good beer, nice food. I think, if you feel that you should apply, then do so. Maybe apply later for a postgrad course?

I attended one of the lectures in Materials Science, Cambridge on "pre-existing flaws in glass", a massive lecture hall, prof the size of an ant, droning-on, no eye contact to any of the hundreds of mostly or partly attentive students, probably the tuition by smaller groups of postgrads or similar advanced students, in the tutorial sessions, would have actually taught me something. The big lecture was ghastly.

I compare that to a slightly less rated University of the West of Scotland, Paisley - where the small college rooms were highly digitally equipped for almost every student to learn at different rates, many virtual headset things, little cluster groups. Paisley does have its ongoing budget problems, but it tries to teach better than Cambridge, with Paisley's available staff and resources. I was more impressed, and they *cared* about the students!

I confess that I didn't do any punting in Paisley
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fatdogmendoza)
When I applied to uni last year I didn't even consider Oxbridge because I thought I was too stupid to even get an interview, but now after having got my results (A*A*A) I've exceeded Oxford's base requirements for the course I want to do and although I'm very happy with my firm choice, and I definitely do know that my grades don't guarantee I'd even be invited to interview, I do wish I'd given it a shot just in case. Does anyone else feel this way?
Grades are only part of the process needed to get into Oxford. You could have applied, yes, and got in, but equally you could have applied and not got in. If you're happy with your firm choice, then why not enjoy uni there? You could always apply for a postgraduate course at Oxford later on.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fatdogmendoza)
I'm very happy with my firm choice
You've answered your own question there. Enjoy the place at your firm, you'll do well, have fun, and then you can look at postgrad at Oxbridge - if it still appeals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.8%
Disagree (4)
7.84%
Neither agree or disagree (14)
27.45%
Agree (18)
35.29%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.61%

Watched Threads