Laurenreid87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have my assessment day next week to train to be a probation officer and I am so nervous as I really want this.

Has anyone been on the assessment day and if so any tips and tricks greatly welcomed.
username4911626
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Lauren, Im not a probation officer but have worked in a Probation Office. I have seen how manic it can be. And have also worked in a prison. I guess showing you are not judgemental and that you will not be talked round. Stick to what you first said. No signs of weakness. Knowing how to prioritise your caseload. Good luck. Fiona
Happyone95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m also in the same position! I have the assessment day next week and I am dreading it as I just hate interviews! What date is yours? Hopefully we can get some tips off people beforehand!
Lucycs123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I had mine on Monday. Group exercise and written exersise was good but prepare for the interview from the compentencies they give you on the list on the email. It is very regimented and there is no time to deviate off the compentencies they want to hear. Good luck.
Jane Forsyth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They will be looking for you to have a good grasp of the competencies. However, remember to listen as well as speak its a key communication skill. Show you can model pro social behaviour and try to demonstrate that you can be motivational. Acknowledging difficulties and empathising without colluding is a useful tool as is a non judgemental approach. Good luck.
Happyone95
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucycs123)
Hi I had mine on Monday. Group exercise and written exersise was good but prepare for the interview from the compentencies they give you on the list on the email. It is very regimented and there is no time to deviate off the compentencies they want to hear. Good luck.
Oh really thanks! I’ve got some examples prepped but get thrown off sometimes! Did they just say “tell us a time you’ve used effective communication to gain a result” or were they quite long winded questions if that makes sense? Dreading it! X
P13/20
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi guys, thought I'd help you out and reply to your post over the interviews. I was the same as you and felt extremely nervous because I wanted this position so much and for so long. The day will start with you giving in your vetting documents, you will then be taken in to a room with everybody else and assessors will come in and call you through. There is a written excersise, a group exercise and a one-to-one interview. My biggest advice would be to make sure you have plenty of examples to use in your compentencies for your interview, because if they dont have enough from the one you use you will need to elaborate. The written exam is a lot to read - so make sure you priorities your time and don't spend too much time reading and don't take it for granted how much you can extract information in such a short amount of time!! (an hour goes very quick!) highlight the main parts, I found it the most effective way. Finally for the group exercise make your voice heard and express your opinion but in a nice way, not a "I know everything" kind of way. Be confident, tell any life experience and be swtiched on. The assessors are great, well informed and are there to help you, not catch you out. Good luck!
Last edited by P13/20; 3 weeks ago
Lucylu1977
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P13/20)
Hi guys, thought I'd help you out and reply to your post over the interviews. I was the same as you and felt extremely nervous because I wanted this position so much and for so long. The day will start with you giving in your vetting documents, you will then be taken in to a room with everybody else and assessors will come in and call you through. There is a written excersise, a group exercise and a one-to-one interview. My biggest advice would be to make sure you have plenty of examples to use in your compentencies for your interview, because if they dont have enough from the one you use you will need to elaborate. The written exam is a lot to read - so make sure you priorities your time and don't spend too much time reading and don't take it for granted how much you can extract information in such a short amount of time!! (an hour goes very quick!) highlight the main parts, I found it the most effective way. Finally for the group exercise make your voice heard and express your opinion but in a nice way, not a "I know everything" kind of way. Be confident, tell any life experience and be swtiched on. The assessors are great, well informed and are there to help you, not catch you out. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice..I have my assessment day Wednesday. Is there any particular way they like you to set out the report in the written assessment? I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated x
P13/20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucylu1977)
Thanks so much for the advice..I have my assessment day Wednesday. Is there any particular way they like you to set out the report in the written assessment? I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated x
Yeah absolutley, I won't say dont be nervous because I absolutley was and I think that helps towards your performance. If you go in placid and laid back I dont think it shows the right approach so think of your adreneline as a good asset! The report was the hardest for me as I thought it would be the easiest having good english understanding, however... the report will be a lot of information to analyse and then you will have to summarise, make a recommendation and conclude so read up on some probation reports before hand and that should give you a bit of prior knowledge. I wish I had of known! You don't need to know everything about the day just be yourself and talking of life experience is well valued I think.
Last edited by P13/20; 3 weeks ago
Lucylu1977
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah absolutley, I won't say dont be nervous because I absolutley was and I think that helps towards your performance. If you go in placid and laid back I dont think it shows the right approach so think of your adreneline as a good asset! The report was the hardest for me as I thought it would be the easiest having good english understanding, however... the report will be a lot of information to analyse and then you will have to summarise, make a recommendation and conclude so read up on some probation reports before hand and that should give you a bit of prior knowledge. I wish I had of known! You don't need to know everything about the day just be yourself and talking of life experience is well valued I think.
Thanks so much for the advice...I’ve been looking at the layouts and information in a few probation reports so hopefully that will help.
P13/20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You’re welcome. Also don’t look at it and think how do I write a report on probation when I’ve never worked in probation!! I was in a class full of already PSO’s and did ok!!
Happyone95
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You’re welcome. Also don’t look at it and think how do I write a report on probation when I’ve never worked in probation!! I was in a class full of already PSO’s and did ok!!
That’s one of my concerns.... that everyone is internal so more likely to get it! I know I have relevant experience but still feel at a disadvantage! How did the group exercise go?
P13/20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S19n)
That’s one of my concerns.... that everyone is internal so more likely to get it! I know I have relevant experience but so till feel at a disadvantage! How did the group exercise go?
I wouldn’t take it as a disadvantage - everybody in the room were PSO’s for me. It’s all competencies based, you need to know the specific ones for each excercise!! It really isn’t a matter of internal external, they’re looking for good quality potential Probation Officers that have what it takes.
P13/20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn’t take it as a disadvantage - everybody in the room were PSO’s for me. It’s all competencies based, you need to know the specific ones for each excercise!! It really isn’t a matter of internal external, they’re looking for good quality potential Probation Officers that have what it takes.
And group excerise was my favourite, it’s good to hear other people’s opinions but then able to voice your own. I enjoyed it.
Bea0088
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello! I have my assessment Wednesday too! I’m a bit nervous, by the way thank you everyone for the advices
P13/20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bea0088)
Hello! I have my assessment Wednesday too! I’m a bit nervous, by the way thank you everyone for the advices
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%
Electronic (53)
6.76%
Indie (128)
16.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise