sophiemae41
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So it’s coming to the time in my life where I’m going to be enrolling at college. Sadly because I took the foundation papers at GCSEs I can’t get into the chemistry course at college so they’ve advised me to do applied science instead. I’m wanting to work as a nurse or maybe paramedic. Do I take applied science or will something else be better? The health and care didn’t really interest me. I feel like college is going to be a struggle for me as I sat the foundation papers. Help! Advice needed
Hazzabear
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

I’m also going to be doing this course. And yes it does seem good! Is your exam board entirely coursework or a percentage of exam base too? By doing applied science, universities will accept this if you wanted to study paramedic science or nursing. (adults, children’s, or MH)

How did you find science at GCSE? you’ll most likely not struggle with this course because there are so many support sites that can support you with BTECs (thankfully).

Apologises that I don’t have much information specially about the course, but I just wanted to say we’re in the same boat and I hope you enjoy it!
sophiemae41
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Hello,

I’m also going to be doing this course. And yes it does seem good! Is your exam board entirely coursework or a percentage of exam base too? By doing applied science, universities will accept this if you wanted to study paramedic science or nursing. (adults, children’s, or MH)

How did you find science at GCSE? you’ll most likely not struggle with this course because there are so many support sites that can support you with BTECs (thankfully).

Apologises that I don’t have much information specially about the course, but I just wanted to say we’re in the same boat and I hope you enjoy it!
Thankyou! I was okay at GCSE science, although I couldn’t do triple. I did foundation double science
Hazzabear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sophiemae41)
Thankyou! I was okay at GCSE science, although I couldn’t do triple. I did foundation double science
I also struggled with triple science so dropped down into double. What are you planning on doing after studying for the BTEC?
sophiemae41
Rep:
?
I’m hoping to apply for york university to hopefully do foundation medicine or something along those lines
Hazzabear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m hoping to apply for york university to hopefully do foundation medicine or something along those lines
Why do we sound so similar in our career paths?
sophiemae41
Rep:
?
I wanted to be a doctor but I couldn’t because of what my results will be like (. Are you just going into college or already doing the course?
Hazzabear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wanted to be a doctor but I couldn’t because of what my results will be like (. Are you just going into college or already doing the course?
You still can! With the foundation degree that lasts six years. (I think) it’s much more competitive, but there’s a chance!

I’m starting college in September as a year 12 student.
sophiemae41
Rep:
?
Cool!! I just want to be saving lives basically
Hazzabear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cool!! I just want to be saving lives basically
Have you thought of paramedics? There’s a huge scheme of courses you can do that will involve medicine. (Especially nursing too)
sophiemae41
Rep:
?
yeah I’ve looked into it all. Just something in the NHS so I’m not too sure yet. I’m looking for work experience so I can decide.
Hazzabear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah I’ve looked into it all. Just something in the NHS so I’m not too sure yet. I’m looking for work experience so I can decide. Hey, you should add me on snap so we can talk about our careers )
TSR has a private messaging platform if that’s easier?

I rarely use my snapchat or other social media apps I’m afraid
sophiemae41
Rep:
?
Yeah sure! You’ll have to PM me as I’m not sure how you do it lol
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So it’s coming to the time in my life where I’m going to be enrolling at college. Sadly because I took the foundation papers at GCSEs I can’t get into the chemistry course at college so they’ve advised me to do applied science instead. I’m wanting to work as a nurse or maybe paramedic. Do I take applied science or will something else be better? The health and care didn’t really interest me. I feel like college is going to be a struggle for me as I sat the foundation papers. Help! Advice needed
National Careers Service do you have any advice?
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some help.

If you take a BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in Sciences this should help you progress onto university as it is the equivalent to 3 A-Levels. If you take the National Diploma this is worth 2 A-levels so it would be better to do the extended.

Most universities accept BTECs for a range of courses including nursing and paramedical sciences, you can find out a lot more about university entry requirements through UCAS (universities and colleges admissions service) https://www.ucas.com/

You can researching both nursing and paramedical sciences degrees for universities across the UK and check out their BTEC entry requirements and what grades you would need to achieve. You could also ask if you could pick up a single A-level alongside in a different subject to help boost your UCAS points. It will be up to the college as to whether or not they will allow this and if it fits in alongside you workload.

I hope this help, if you have further questions the Exam Results Helpline is on hand to support you now and on results day on 0800 100 900 or you can come back to us on TSR.

Thanks - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads