lucy_robinson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do history at uni, but I got a C in my higher exam, which I'm pretty disappointed with. I'm doing advanced history next year, and just wondering if universities can still see my higher grade, or if my advanced grade would override it?

My current situation is eight A's at national 5, AAA (English, geography, art) B (maths) C (history) at higher. I'm applying after S6, and I have the grades I needed by the end of S5 (ABBB). I have some work experience in history, including at the National Archives, but I'm just worried about how the C in higher history will affect my application.

I know it doesn't look great having a C in the subject I want to do at uni, but that year was pretty bad in terms of health and the teaching quality, and I am genuinely really interested in history. Any help is appreciated! xx

Edit: Now I'm thinking I should resit higher history... I've heard unis prefer highers to advanced highers? Cheers in advance x
Last edited by lucy_robinson; 1 month ago
bsb2392
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have similar situation with chemistry. I got a B in Higher and I'm doing advanced higher now. I needed to get an A for the course im applying to.
I phoned the university and told them and they said its better for me to do advanced higher and get a B, than resit as they don't accept resits.
If the entry requirements don't specifically mention that you need a certain grade in history then I would say do advanced. If they want something higher than a C then the best thing to do it resit Higher.
One of my friends who went to study Chemistry in university got a B at higher when she needed an A, and also wanted to do advanced higher. So she resat Higher and did Advanced Higher at the same time, but it involved a lot of negotiation with SQA and Universities and that.

I would suggest you phone universities and ask them and see what they tell you.
lucy_robinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by bsb2392)
I have similar situation with chemistry. I got a B in Higher and I'm doing advanced higher now. I needed to get an A for the course im applying to.
I phoned the university and told them and they said its better for me to do advanced higher and get a B, than resit as they don't accept resits.
If the entry requirements don't specifically mention that you need a certain grade in history then I would say do advanced. If they want something higher than a C then the best thing to do it resit Higher.
One of my friends who went to study Chemistry in university got a B at higher when she needed an A, and also wanted to do advanced higher. So she resat Higher and did Advanced Higher at the same time, but it involved a lot of negotiation with SQA and Universities and that.

I would suggest you phone universities and ask them and see what they tell you.
Hi, thanks so much! The entry requirements for Glasgow (the highest of the ones I'm interested in) are:

ABBB to be considered for S6 offer (by the end of S5)
AAAAAB cumulative grade requirement for S6 offer holders
Additional requirements: Higher English at Grade A or B and a Higher Humanities or Language subject at Grade A or B

So I have what I need by S5, and I need minimum two A's at higher or equivalent. I think I'll continue with AH history, rather than resit H.

Thank you very much for your help, hope everything works out for you! I'm sure it will xx
Last edited by lucy_robinson; 1 month ago
bsb2392
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lucy_robinson)
Hi, thanks so much! The entry requirements for Glasgow (the highest of the ones I'm interested in) are:

ABBB to be considered for S6 offer (by the end of S5)
AAAAAB cumulative grade requirement for S6 offer holders
Additional requirements: Higher English at Grade A or B and a Higher Humanities or Language subject at Grade A or B

So I have what I need by S5, and I need minimum two A's at higher or equivalent. I think I'll continue with AH history, rather than resit H.

Thank you very much for your help, hope everything works out for you! I'm sure it will xx
Btw I am applying to Glasgow as well.

It doesn't say in the entry requirements anything specific about history so I think you should be fine but I would double check it with the university.
Good luck xx
lucy_robinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by bsb2392)
Btw I am applying to Glasgow as well.

It doesn't say in the entry requirements anything specific about history so I think you should be fine but I would double check it with the university.
Good luck xx
Yay good luck! Thanks for your help xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads