hollyyy1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey everyone, I've recently began the AH English course after getting an A at higher and I'm just wondering from previous students who have done the course did you enjoy it? was it worth the hard work? was it very time consuming? is it a big step up from higher? thank you! also for my dissertation i'm thinking of something to do with the role of women...i read memoirs of a geisha in the holidays and really liked it but i'm not sure if its not a "juicy" enough book (in terms of literary devices and not being a so called classic) to write about to compare with another book at AH for my dissertation?i am still kind of confused about the course so if any of you have opinions that would be great thanks!
Last edited by hollyyy1234; 1 month ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hollyyy1234)
hey everyone, I've recently began the AH English course after getting an A at higher and I'm just wondering from previous students who have done the course did you enjoy it? was it worth the hard work? was it very time consuming? is it a big step up from higher? thank you! also for my dissertation i'm thinking of something to do with the role of women...i read memoirs of a geisha in the holidays and really liked it but i'm not sure if its not a "juicy" enough book (in terms of literary devices and not being a so called classic) to write about to compare with another book at AH for my dissertation?i am still kind of confused about the course so if any of you have opinions that would be great thanks!
I think it really depends. I absolutely adored English during my Nat 5s and Higher and it was the subject I was 100% determined to do at AH. I even wanted to study literature at university. And, then I did AH and truth be told - lost my interest in the subject. I do think that it's completely contextual (I had terrible teachers for AH English). I also don't think AH English was that useful for preparing me for university as much as AH History did and I wish I hadn't spent so much time on this subject in my final year as I couldn't really focus on my other subjects as much; those that would have counted toward my university offers.

I think you should think about a few things:

• Who's teaching the subject?
  • What books will you be studying?
  • Do you need it for university? If not, what do you need for university and are you willing to potentially jeopardise your other grades?
  • Do you know what you'd want to do your dissertation on?

As an aside, I think Memoris of a Geisha would be a fantastic book to do for the dissertation. :rambo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads