Why is there no pride in England as a country? Watch

ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anime198)
There just doesn't seem to be any pride in England these days. Why's that?
These days? As opposed to when? Its never really been thing thing in my memory. But we are fiercly proud of our locality with hindreds of shows, galas, feits, parades and more besides celebraing local greatness.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally, I'd like to see less about just being English and a more united, proud British Identity. I feel British as well as English.
Duane2501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because there are approximately 2,000 different cultures with no real attempt or guidance on integration, so no one really cares about the country anymore they just care about day to day life which is fair enough.

Also, our MPs are a joke and only out for themselves so what is there to be proud of?
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NoraSmith)
This is interesting. I don’t have a problem with people being proud of their region - I think, looking back through history, that has generally always been the case. It’s natural to feel an affinity with the area and community you grew up in.
I grew up in Denmark. Over there, people are immensely proud of the regions they come from - and yet, there is a sense of unity in Denmark far less prevalent over here. Living in West Jutland, all the people from my community were proud to identify as ‘Vest Jysk,’ and yet were also fiercely patriotic. One of the first things you notice when you go to Denmark are the amount of flags everywhere - on cards, home decor, cakes, you name it. Most Danish homes have a flag pole with their national flag attached.
So I don’t think it’s people being proud of their region that’s the problem. And actually, I’m not so sure there really is a problem in the first place. I think it’s wonderful that we have so many different identities in this country. It’s makes life more fun. Okay, so many British people may not profusely state how proud they are of their country, but that doesn’t mean they have no attachment to it. I believe it’s down to the British self-deprecating humour, which isn’t really a thing elsewhere in Europe. Phrases like ‘typical Britain!’ are often thrown around, but usually out of fondness rather than genuine contempt.
I love this country, and I’m proud of being (half) English. The real concern I have is about many of our politicians, who really seem to want to divide this nation. But amongst the people, I don’t really think there’s a problem!
Interesting points, I've noticed this about Europe and us and given we fought fascism and have relative achievements against racism, remarkable tolerance, I think it's unfair.

(Original post by _polaroid)
Unfortunately, the English Flag as well as the identity of being "English" has become linked with racism and prejudice. If you see someone with an English flag outside their house, you might think they didn't take too kindly to foreigners moving in next door.

I believe a lot of people identify as being "British". I know I certainly do. Most people see themselves as "British" before "English". However, I do agree that Brexit as well as recent economic affairs has been extremely demoralising for cultural identity. I am personally a Brexiteer (not trying to start an argument, just stating where I stand) and I feel that leaving the EU and being able to take back more control of our trade, our workforce, rules and regulations is going to be good. I certainly still feel proud to be a member of this nation - there's so much to be proud of!
I'm not really a flag waver but there are thing I am very fond of and proud of. Our relative lack of race consciousness being one thing, although this sadly seems to be reversing with globalism, americanisation, and problems with Islamic integration. Another case of Liberal zealots and anti conservatives propagating the right, sometimes you could genuinely think they were two sides of a conspiracy.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 4 weeks ago
DraconisAudiat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on what you mean by national pride.
Countries that didn't used to own 1/3 of the globe take pride in their accomplishments and all the great composers or scientists that have come from that country over the years. But Britain laments the loss of the Empire.

To some people "The British Bulldog Spirit" and "Believing in your country" means thinking we've got the same power now as we did 300 years ago when we used to rock up to sovereign countries, stick a flag in their soil and declare it British territory.

The sad fact is we can't compete with USA or China in terms of manufacturing output or buying power or technological development or military strength or political influence. We're not a world Superpower. We're not even in the 'tier-2' superpowers like Russia, Japan and India. We're also not in the 'concentrated micropower' club of UAE, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bahrain and Qatar.
We're not really anything anymore, we're just a bunch of chumps that think we can play with the big boys but we can't.... unless we're a part of Europe, then we will be part of a world superpower.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't care a damn about being a superpower and the empire crap is overstated wildly about leavers. A straw man. Its about self determination and sanity to me. Independent economic foreign policy. All the Iraq zealots are remainers, the pro war lot in France are pro EU. Blair wants a 51st state, war mongering in Europe. Many Americans want us in to further Washington aims within Europe.

By the way I think we do or at least can easily rank with Japan, and even India is overstated. No not China(will rule over everyone whatever happens) or America but they will be slugging it out, so what. Russia, why compare ourselves, completely different country but UK is up there and has soft power too.

But economics democracy our own foreign policy and domestic agenda is much more important to me. I believe as climate change kicks in and the world goes made a conservative move will prove smart.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 4 weeks ago
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
Personally, I'd like to see less about just being English and a more united, proud British Identity. I feel British as well as English.
I think there's understandably a difficulty in separating the two concepts - which might be why some people feel that English identity is almost submerged into Britishness in a way identities of different parts of the UK are not.

In 2007, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport held some competition thing to find "Icons of England". The website has died a bit of a death, but you can still see some of the content here. But consider how few of these are exclusively English, and what are generally seen as British: red telephone boxes, Winston Churchill, pubs, Sherlock Holmes, Big Ben. Englishness generally only gets exclusive rights over the unfashionable cast-offs, like Morris Dancing.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's gay pride, mother's pride... and er...
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Genuinely what is there to be proud of? We're a nation full of racists (on both sides of the political spectrum), our government is in shambles, Brexit is a mess, people are aggressive about everything, the Tories are ruining the nation and we're divided. Why would you be proud to be from this country at this moment in time?
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Strictly speaking, I would beg to differ somewhat with the bolded. Ethnic minorities in the uk are quite segregated into their own communities and areas with their own schools and largely can be worse than the ethnic white British population for displaying intolerance towards other racial groups and minorities.
Not that I have observed, must mention it to my Sikh next door neighbours, wonder if they have considered sending their children to a Sikh school or perhaps they do not bother because there is no such school in Edinburgh.
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
There's gay pride, mother's pride... and er...
a very small pride of lions on a shirt.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"Proud to be British" is normally a phrase that precedes or follows racist or anti-Islamic statements or opinions, so the notion of it has become associated with racism.
Switch01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think we in the west, whether thats the UK, Canada, or the USA, should be more proud of our nationality than we are rn, lots of immigrants come in and feel like we have no culture when we do
We should be proud of where we live, not hate it, i feel like people are less patriotic now than before
DraconisAudiat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Switch01)
I think we in the west, whether thats the UK, Canada, or the USA, should be more proud of our nationality than we are rn, lots of immigrants come in and feel like we have no culture when we do
We should be proud of where we live, not hate it, i feel like people are less patriotic now than before
Trouble is a lot of our culture is ****, like those nutters that run down the hill after the wheel of cheese and break their ankles.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
You are just a troll though.
Which country are you claiming to be from?
anime198
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are just a troll though.
Which country are you claiming to be from?
What makes you think I'm a troll? Do you not even know what a troll is? A troll asks questions to purposely annoy people. They're not genuine. And if you've ever look at some of the news, England does not have the same pride like Scotland does. The England flag is always accused as being offensive which you never hear with the Scotland flag, or Wales flag. Do you get what I'm saying now?
Last edited by anime198; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
What makes you think I'm a troll? Do you not even know what a troll is? A troll asks questions to purposely annoy people. They're not genuine. And if you've ever look at some of the news, England does not have the same pride like Scotland does. The England flag is always accused as being offensive which you never hear with the Scotland flag, or Wales flag. Do you get what I'm saying now?
Because all you post is the same negative rubbish about the English.
Theres plenty of people that are proud of the UK and England.
Nothing offensive about the English flag or the Union Jack.
What nationality do you claim to be? Too ashamed?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Queen of England doesn't like it, that's why. As it's a flag to made up saint, that's why she created her own flag - the Royal Standard.

Similarly Yorkshire and Cornwall have made their own flags to support their independence from the English Union.
AzuraBlue
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
The Queen of England doesn't like it, that's why. As it's a flag to made up saint, that's why she created her own flag - the Royal Standard.

Similarly Yorkshire and Cornwall have made their own flags to support their independence from the English Union.
There isn't an English Union. Secondly Yorkshire does not want full independence like Scotland does. They want devolved powers. The reason they have regional pride is because they are the largest county in the UK, with 5 million people, just as much as Scotland. They are proud of their Yorkshire puddings, their beer, their landscape etc. There's a lot to be proud of with Yorkshire. They also have a huge resentment for Westminster aswell.
This does not mean they want to be independent from the UK. Just because it has it's own flag, you immediately come to the conclusion that they want to seperate? Devon has got it's own flag, but you don't see them wanting to seperate from the UK. Somerset has it's own flag as well but they never use it. Yorkshire is not legally allowed independence. It's part of England. Westminster and the UN would not allow Yorkshire to secede.

Either you are severely misinformed or you are a troll aswell.
Last edited by AzuraBlue; 4 weeks ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AzuraBlue)
There isn't an English Union. Secondly Yorkshire does not want full independence like Scotland does. They want devolved powers. The reason they have regional pride is because they are the largest county in the UK, with 5 million people, just as much as Scotland. They are proud of their Yorkshire puddings, their beer, their landscape etc. There's a lot to be proud of with Yorkshire. They also have a huge resentment for Westminster aswell.
This does not mean they want to be independent from the UK. Just because it has it's own flag, you immediately come to the conclusion that they want to seperate? Devon has got it's own flag, but you don't see them wanting to seperate from the UK. Somerset has it's own flag as well but they never use it. Yorkshire is not legally allowed independence. It's part of England. Westminster and the UN would not allow Yorkshire to secede.

Either you are severely misinformed or you are a troll aswell.
So the English Unification of AD927 is a myth you say? Interesting - have you written any papers on your theory?

You realise there is the Yorkshire Party now has seven elected councillors? It doubled its vote share from 1 to 2% in the 2015/17 general elections, then doubled again to 4% in the 2019 European election. Only a matter of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed