what are salts, in terms of chemistry?

Watch
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what salt in terms of chemistry? Because I don't understand how you identify if something is a salt, and what the actual definition of it is. Eg. how do u you know if potassium nitrate is a saltThanks!
jduxie4414
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
what salt in terms of chemistry? Because I don't understand how you identify if something is a salt, and what the actual definition of it is. Eg. how do u you know if potassium nitrate is a saltThanks!
An acid reacts with an alkali to produce a salt + water. Potassium nitrate is a salt as it’s a nitrate.

Salts are sulfates, chlorides, nitrates.
jduxie4414
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
An acid reacts with an alkali to produce a salt + water. Potassium nitrate is a salt as it’s a nitrate.

Salts are sulfates, chlorides, nitrates.
For those acids anyway (only examples you really need for GCSE)
naem071
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A salt is any chemical compound formed when the H+ ion from an acid is replaced by a cation. In the case of potassium nitrate, the K+ replaces the H+ in nitric acid.
Last edited by naem071; 1 year ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the sense of chemistry, salts are cristalline structures, arranged by different and alternating charges. Example: Sodium chloride, arranged by positive Na and negative Cl ions.

Furthermore all kinds of salts consists of halogenes: Chlorine, Bromine, Flourine and Iodine. That is why the educts of the salts are very reactive.
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (86)
26.22%
England (110)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.23%
Germany (39)
11.89%
Spain (6)
1.83%