The Student Room Group

Funding studies @ University (Thoughts before applying)

Hello all.

The title pretty much sums it all up. My dad keeps asking me how I'm going to fund my film studies if I go to Screenology (Bristol) or somewhere else. I really don't like the universities around here (Yorkshire) as I've observed the course modules etc and it's honestly not worth the money. There are free courses online you can do for free that give the same results. Screenology however is different as they're more adapted to the 21st Century and they know what employers want. Experience. That's their whole course. Not essays, but practical work all year round.

I'm pretty sure I should get a part time job but I'm honestly new to all this. Rather than hearing my parents biased opinions I need a fresh mind to give me some pointers! Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by thenameisharun
Hello all.

The title pretty much sums it all up. My dad keeps asking me how I'm going to fund my film studies if I go to Screenology (Bristol) or somewhere else. I really don't like the universities around here (Yorkshire) as I've observed the course modules etc and it's honestly not worth the money. There are free courses online you can do for free that give the same results. Screenology however is different as they're more adapted to the 21st Century and they know what employers want. Experience. That's their whole course. Not essays, but practical work all year round.

I'm pretty sure I should get a part time job but I'm honestly new to all this. Rather than hearing my parents biased opinions I need a fresh mind to give me some pointers! Thanks.

Have you checked how much you would receive through student finance?
Original post by ajj2000
Have you checked how much you would receive through student finance?

Quoted from their website:

"Our tuition fee is £9,000 per annum, but you do not have to pay for your course yourself. You can get a tuition loan to cover the cost of your tuition and a maintenance loan to cover living expenses. You only start to pay back your loans once you are earning over £21,000, a year after you have left University."
Reply 3
Original post by thenameisharun
Quoted from their website:

"Our tuition fee is £9,000 per annum, but you do not have to pay for your course yourself. You can get a tuition loan to cover the cost of your tuition and a maintenance loan to cover living expenses. You only start to pay back your loans once you are earning over £21,000, a year after you have left University."

Ok - so you can get funding for the course. Have you checked how much maintenance loan you would get for you living costs? Depends on your parents income.
Original post by ajj2000
Ok - so you can get funding for the course. Have you checked how much maintenance loan you would get for you living costs? Depends on your parents income.

No, I haven't. I need to ask that definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending