Which universities should I apply to? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I finished my A Levels this year, and just received my results a few days ago. I missed my predicted grades unfortunately and didn’t do as well as I’d hoped, receiving ABB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively.

I’m taking a gap year next year to gain some experience and save up some money after I get a job, and will most likely retake either Chemistry or Maths or both, to try and boost it up to an A.

I’ll be applying for university through UCAS in a few months time for entry in September 2020, and these are the universities, but since I only have 5 selections, I was wondering which universities out of these you would recommend?

• King’s
• Queen Mary
• Southampton
• Reading
• Surrey
• Sussex
Fatts13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What degree do you wish to go for? Maybe check clearing to see if it's available in any of the 5 unis you've listed.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I finished my A Levels this year, and just received my results a few days ago. I missed my predicted grades unfortunately and didn’t do as well as I’d hoped, receiving ABB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively.

I’m taking a gap year next year to gain some experience and save up some money after I get a job, and will most likely retake either Chemistry or Maths or both, to try and boost it up to an A.

I’ll be applying for university through UCAS in a few months time for entry in September 2020, and these are the universities, but since I only have 5 selections, I was wondering which universities out of these you would recommend?

• King’s
• Queen Mary
• Southampton
• Reading
• Surrey
• Sussex
depends on the course - do you live in London at the moment? Would you stay at home at university?
FriedFish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with everyone else, the course is pretty important in deciding which uni. From a purely prestigious-ness perspective, King’s and Queen Mary are pretty good
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

• King’s
• Queen Mary
• Southampton
• Reading
• Surrey
• Sussex
I want to study Biomedical Science, and I would stay at the university
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would post on the board of biology/ biosciences and see what people suggest. You should have loads of great choices.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

• King’s
• Queen Mary
• Southampton
• Reading
• Surrey
• Sussex
as someone who read biology at uni, i can tell you Southampton, followed by Kings has the best department for the biosciences. all of these choices are reasonably good, but QM is a ghastly place if you've ever visited
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
As a former student and staff member at Surrey I would say avoid it. I loved it as a student but things have changed, lots of things are falling to pieces there. The current students I know doing Biosciences are having a terrible time and the student support there is dreadful. Tonnes of staff and students have left. I would recommend considering the other universities that you mentioned.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it!
nazaninazanin123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As a former student and staff member at Surrey I would say avoid it. I loved it as a student but things have changed, lots of things are falling to pieces there. The current students I know doing Biosciences are having a terrible time and the student support there is dreadful. Tonnes of staff and students have left. I would recommend considering the other universities that you mentioned.
I'm doing economics this year at Surrey University. Now I'm really worried. What shall I look out for? Why did students and staff leave?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nazaninazanin123)
I'm doing economics this year at Surrey University. Now I'm really worried. What shall I look out for? Why did students and staff leave?
Sorry to scare you. If it helps, every single university has people who will warn others away, even the best ones. Maybe they will up their game this year as everything will be settling down. At the end of the day, pretty much all unis have a lot of **** going on, the students just never get to see it! I'm sure there were students hating it when I went there but I would never have known because I was new and it didn't affect me. University is what you make of it! I had the best time as a student at Surrey and met the best people ever. Staff mostly left because of budget cuts and then others followed those who left. Students left because of some dodgy stuff going on in different departments, not economics though, I can assure you. If it helps, my friend is doing economics at Surrey and is having a great time and getting top grades. Just go in there and focus on your enjoyment and making friends, make the most of the opportunities there and try not to involve yourself with university 'politics', just go with the flow and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nazaninazanin123)
Also, for the record, it's pretty much the second years that are having all the trouble that I'm aware of. And from experience second year is the worst anyway so it makes sense why so many are leaving. But uni as a whole is just what you make of it! Go in, work hard, and have fun.
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there, our open days are great way of learning more about Surrey and helping you decide if it's the right University for you. You can also talk to our academics and meet current students. We have one this month and another in October: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/open-days

You can also find out more about our biomedical science course here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergradua...edical-science

Let us know if there is anything else that would be helpful to know at this stage and all the best with your studies.

Rosie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads